Masters Running

Monday Daily, 11.5.12 (Read 323 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Twocat, that is great news that you've got power back! Isn't it amazing to feel the stress melting away when the lights come back on?

Great photos yesterday, Paavo and Wildchild: A gorgeous baby, and beautiful scenery.

Congrats to Ribs and Spare Tire, and Wildchild for some impressive and sucking-it-up racing yesterday.

Opie, I hope you get rid of whatever is making you feel not so good. Paul, I'm glad you're on the mend.

Welcome back, Stumpy! Must be nice to be home for a stretch.

Troy, I'm glad Choco eventually showed up - scary.

Tom White And The Ride of Terror - a classic!

Nice meet-up by Erika and Enke!

Slo - When I do get comments from runners I'm passing, it is usually something about being passed by a #*&@! walker. More often than not, they just speed up a bit to avoid getting passed. But at that point, I'm usually better at holding my pace than they are - if I pass them a second time, it almost always sticks.

Yes, Mariposai, I've qualified to become a Half Fanatic. But first, they want my money...

4.6 easy racewalking miles at 4:05 this morning. 37F with full cloud cover and a 9mph breeze from the NW. I'm still achy from Saturday's race and yesterday's raking cross-training, so I just took it easy this morning and had a nice tour of the neighborhood.

Enjoy your final (finally!) day before the election  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

4 miles this morning for me.  The time change hangover helped me get going earlier than usual.  It was the first run in a month without any stomach or chest pain/discomfort (from gastritis).  Maybe there is hope after all.  This time I am not going to slip immediately back into my old ways of eating and drinking.

I had pretty much decided to blow off a local half this weekend (already paid for) but now I think I may be able to go jog it.  I'll get passed by the race walkers but I promise I won't curse them.

Like Dave I'm tempted to blow off my Int'l Triathlon this weekend, since I am in no way in Race shape.  And I hate just going through the motions.  But thanks Dave.  You've inspired me to do it anyway.  Now if I can just not drown during the 1,000m swim leg, and not crash on the 22 mile bike leg, and not hit the wall on the 6.6 mile run leg ...

Speaking of Triathlons, one of my local running partners just turned 50 and he's doing the Cozumel Ironman later this month.  (He's done one ironman before - the Florida one.)  Here was his training regiment this weekend:

Saturday morning 30.05 miles in 4:45.

Saturday afternoon 1.5 hours swimming

Sunday morning 120 mile bike ride

And he came through everything happy and healthy.  Goodness.  I'd say he's ready.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

OrangeMat

MM #6177

So glad Twocat has power again!!

Ran 9ish very easy miles yesterday and felt like I could've gone on forever. Looking forward to the Harrisburg Marathon this Sunday, probably more than I was excited for NYC, even before all of this storm ($hit and otherwise) hit. It's good to be moving forward, that's all I've got to say.

Mariposai

OrangeMAt, that is exactly how I like to feel a week before my marathons!!! you will smoke the course this Sunday, I just know it.

Bregarcito, enjoy your tri this weekend, you just may be surprised.

Dave, great news about no pain today.

tselbs, you are the best at giving kudos. Great job on your run.

Pirate, I am still laughing about your bike adventure!

SpareRibs, what an inspiration you are.

Well, no time for much more kudos. I was up at 4:30 to fit in a longish run before I head out to the West side of my state today. I made a few changes to my plan so I can drive through Seattle tomorrow after my meeting to see our snow queen Erika. I am hoping to connect with the taperboy mid afternoon. 

What a super duper Monday run I had. 9 whistling miles! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h81Ojd3d2rY

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all.  1.9 slow recovery this morning in the park.

Had blood work done this morning in preparation for Wednesday's annual physical. Eager to see how the lipid panel results look.

Yesterday I posted on FB, "Every day thousands of people die of old age. I hope when I go, my doctor writes for cause of death, "Patient laid down the boogie and played that funky music til he died." 

Spareribs

...thanks guys//...........I have also learned

if the handlebars aren't adjustable, it will give me my OldFriend ''MrBackSpasms''

which

I know happens to me from

''Bend and Reach''

just didn't realize what I was doing

have ''modified'' the bike accordingly,

and will buy one that can be adjusted.............go to the bike shop Wed.

=======

pt xs today

......good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Enke - how’re ya quads doin’ this week?  I think Discovery Park's ascents have even more than the 146 stairs  on the climbs at Carkeek
                  Even though the soreness is making it hard to walk much after Saturday’s In Unity We Run Marathon only having maybe 30 feet of elevation at most through three underpasses, it's nothing like the pain that persisted for five days after 7,000 feet in the 16+ laps at the previous Saturday’s Carkeek 12 Hour Fun Run.

I think a good dinner at a favorite Japanese restaurant with divechief and all the goddesses blessing Seattle this week might be just what the doctor ordered to get ready for this weekend’s First Call Veteran’s Day Marathon.  No wonder I love running so much.
                  ps paavo - I count on you and lynn and others as I don’t know how to post my 3yo grandson’s photos.

pps trybyll - maybe practice on your transitions and have fun in your triathlon this week.  Crashing and hitting the wall are okay, if not expected, but drowning would be real bad.  I think that's why the swim's almost always the first leg nowadays. .

ppps Tom - it’s called a “saddle” and, if the bike is properly fit and your riding posture is better than what we seem to do with our running and walking, it should be make for the mythical “comfort” bike.  Ascents are tough on knees though. Good luck. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

thanks tet//..........I stood up on the pedals going uphill, is that  a good idea??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

thanks tet//..........I stood up on the pedals going uphill, is that  a good idea??

I find it's best just to avoid hills when bike riding.

By the way, registration is open for Green Bay Cellcom marathon & half.  I think I will sign-up and try to finish it this time.

Slo

That's a tough call Tom.

Depends on the hill, the effort you want to put into it, etc.

From purely an effiency point of view you want to stay seated, sit up, drop to a lower gear and "spin" up the hill. I don't ride like this. I hammer up hills.

Many times the hill is steep enough that you have no choice.

If your bike is a "comfort" bike it's primary intended use is flat trails and trips that are 30 - 60 mins in length. The geometry of the bike isn't intended for effiency and max power delivered to the pedals. It realy dosen't matter though, your intention is for a workout and any bike will give you that.

Happy Riding!

Slo

I find it's best just to avoid hills when bike riding.

By the way, registration is open for Green Bay Cellcom marathon & half.  I think I will sign-up and try to finish it this time.

Dang it Dave...I've been getting all the Facebook notifications and have been trying to ignore them. I really like this marathon and I love the town. I was thinking about skipping this year. I just may be up for half though. After the Monkey I do not plan on doing any Marathons until September 2013.

Party at Jlynne's!

mrrun

Have fun dave and slo in greenbay.  we can't make it back next yr

no run for me today - still doing clean-up from being away so long.  jealous of all your long runs - have fun!

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tom - any hill that make us come out of the saddle is too steep for our knees.

as speedy-hand indicates, a proper fit'll keep you down most of the time.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I'm a danger to myself and those around me when riding a bike.  It's best for all concerned if it stays on its trainer.

Dave59 - You and TW are usually running a tie in making me laugh every day. Smile

I saw your comment on FB, Ribs.  I think it's great!

Rest day for me.  Re the concert last night, my dad and I walked out.  It definitely was not what I expected and taught me to investigate a little bit more next time.  My first experience with Christian rock and roll (which has always been a bit of an oxymoron for me), at least the songs we sat through.  We started out in the 4th row, then moved to the very back, and it was still too loud, not to mention you couldn't understand hardly anything he was singing.  It was nothing like the other groups that have performed at church over this last year I've been attending.  If it had been only me, I  might've stayed to see how things played out, but I couldn't ask my 71-year dad to sit through it.  We walked out in the middle of the 4th song with ringing ears.  Too late, we saw the basket of ear plugs sitting outside the doors into the sanctuary.  If we'd seen those in the beginning, probably would've given us a clue as to what was to come.  Too loud for the venue, not to mention if I wanted to listen to rock, I'd go pull out some of The Hub's CD's.  It reminded me of the one and only rock concert I ever attended a l-o-n-g time ago - Blue Oyster Cult.  I could hardly hear for 3 days afterward.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance