Masters Running

Wed Jan 2 (Read 691 times)

Yesterday's run was cut short at 1.45 miles 'cause I got a call from work and had to run home to deal with it via remote login.
    PDR, I have never owned a cell phone. Several years ago a boss offered to buy me a cell phone and pay for the service, but I declined. I knew he would call me all the time if I had a cell phone. Hmm, my attitude of "jobs only get in the way of life" may be a reason I am now 49 and unemployed. Can't say I regret it though. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

King of PhotoShop

I actually have to work today so not sure when I will go out or what I will do. Dark Horse, hope everything heals for you. That knee is the first priority I would think. Biketm, if the calf gives you pain just icing it, get yourself to a doctor. Got an email from Bart Yasso. His new book is out. Here are the details: Heads up! My book is finished, the book launch will take place at the Boston Marathon and available on Amazon a few weeks later but can be pre-ordered now at a discounted price. "My Life on the Run" http://www.amazon.com/My-Life-Run-Wisdom-Insights/dp/1594869413/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198032231&sr=1-1 Book Description Dubbed the "Mayor of Running," Bart Yasso is one of the best-known figures in the sport, but few people know why he started running competitively, how it changed his life, or how his brush with a crippling illness nearly ended his career a decade ago. With insight and humor, My Life on the Run chronicles the heatstroke and frostbite, heartache and triumphs he's experienced while competing in more than 1,000 competitive races during his 30 years of running , 20 years with Runner's World magazine. Recounting his adventures in exotic locales like Antarctica, Africa, and Chitwan National Park in Nepal (where he was chased by an angry rhino), Yasso recommends the best exotic marathons for runners who want to grab their passports to test themselves on foreign terrain. With the wit and wisdom of a seasoned insider, he tells runners what they need to know to navigate the logistics of running in an unfamiliar country. Please help me spread the word. Happy New Year !!!! Thanks, Bart Bart Yasso Runner's World CRO Chief Running Officer
        Thanks, Holly and Mark! Holly - I made your oatmeal/mincemeat cookies over the holidays. I might have gotten as many as 4 cookies from the whole batch (they were so yummy). My husband devoured the rest of them. He usually doesn't touch anything with butter, refined sugar, etc., but he sure liked those. I bought an extra box of mincemeat - I may just have to may another batch of cookies and hide them! Sue

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

bwaaahahhahahahha... day off for me... first since 7 november. ok, taper madness aside. biketm, i have this theory about ice called the "non-conservation of pain" theory. icing usually hurts intensely and right away, but it more than makes up for the weeks of nagging pain that little injuries bring. it's like investing... a little pain now will save you lots and lots of future pain. besides, ice only hurts the ones that it loves. we now return to taper madness... bwaaahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa
          Mariposai

No running yet, but did get up on time to do some core work prior to coming to work this morning. I stayed up watching Forest Gump last night. The whole family was teary eyes at the end of the movie. There are so many social issues to ponder about in that movie. I am glad my teenage sons sat down to watch it with me. SueT48-welcome back. How did your internet fasting go? MarkGuy-good luck at work. Erika—I hope you find the dog. Thinking of you sisstah. Econo—that was an impressive speedy double race you did the other day. You are one strong athlete. Mustan Sally- thanks for the vivid race report. In my eyes you are always ...the 1st woman. Ohhhhh the Sun God is going thru running withdrawal we all better watch out. Black eye

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good afternoon folks! Late posting of an early morning bleh run.....6 miles at 6 AM--20F with wind chills driving it down to 5F or so. The roads were awful so the planned steady 8:15 pace run turned into a 6 miles at whatever pace my YakTrax could muster on "the oatmeal atop ice" feeling of the snow. My legs were tired after yesterday's workout and 12 miler anyway, so I was just glad to get it done---all in 51 minutes. I had a blinding migraine last night and some of the residual effects didn't help either. Sorry about the ankle Dark Horse. Erika, I hope Cheyenne returns soon.....I am so sorry. Tim---biketm----sorry about that calf Need to read race reports too....busy day today of phone calls and then I hit the road tomorrow for a day at UNH. I am not jumping right back into the work and school groove very well at all! Good day to all, stay warm if you are in the freeze zone and try to stay sane...ha! if you are in the taper zone. CNYrunner
              spacityrunner

5.31 miles in 1:12:38 for an avg. 13:41 m/m 36F but 20 mph winds....feels like was 25F Splits: 13:50, 13:33, 13:57, 13:47, 13:27, (.31) 13:05

Trails Rock!

Thanks, Mariposai! I was getting intense cravings to dive back into the Internet after a week of abstinence. Amazing how addictive it can be. Forrest Gump is one of those movies I can watch over and over again, and I love the soundtrack. Sue

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

dg.

Mustan Sally- thanks for the vivid race report. In my eyes you are always ...the 1st woman. !!! Ohhhhh the Sun God is going thru running withdrawal we all better watch out. Black eye
                    Mari, a belated woohoo to you for your TM 20 miler. you are amazing in many ways. MS. In my minds eye you are always... besides what Mari said... in pink. uhoh. hang on to your hats. Mark, another one? Sue, Big grin welcome back from me too! Erika, I loved your picture of Cheyenne. I've been sending her warm rescue vibes... I had something a little similar happen once... this really strikes a nerve. more hugs to you & your family. oh yeah. I tried the TM again yesterday, this time a walk/run mix. I could do a little more this way than I can just walking. Does that make any sense? Just 1.3 miles. but it only hurt a very very small amount, toward the end.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hally - we wear the same shoes, right? Saucony Trigon Rides? I'm on the lookout for a good internet buy on those so I can put back my next pair. Got any good leads?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The wind here is howling, so I opted for 1 hour on the nordictrack. I thought the time would fly by with my new mp3 player, but after 15 min's it was out of juice and needed a charge. Blurgh. So I used my old method for music which includes lots of interruptions to exercise. But I got the hour in. Thanks to all for the kind and encouraging comments on my rr. I have so much respect for you hard runners out there! Erika, hope the doggie has returned! DH - sorry about the ankle! Re jobs: you probby have many leads and have no interest in uprooting your family, and I know nothing about the job market in Ma., but just wanted to say that northern Va. is a great place to be for someone with your recent experience. Deb, you're making progress. That's great to hear. Mike, cute avatar. Mark, sorry to hear about impending job disruption - we've been there and done that, and it's never fun. Sad Kudos to all who ran in the cold today. Jem
                          Hi everyone, happy workouts and second day of the year to you all. WRFB,percheek, breger1, JJJessee, Holly S., Twocat, rochrunner, CNYrunner, runningindc-- BRR!!!!--nice workouts and I'm amazed at the cold you endure. mrwhite, happy new year to you too! PDR, sorry about the phonecall cutting yesterday's run short but it's good you made up for it today. Dark Horse sorry to hear about your ankle. At least you weren't running when it happened 'caue the damage would be worse. I hope it gets better soon. SueT48, welcome back from your vacation from the computer. Those cookies sound yummy! Tramps, your tempo miles do count if the Garmin dies. Your heart and legs know the truth. biketm, may your calf heal soon but perhaps you should listen to Spareribs. Peter NC, work is definitely a graveyard the day after Jan. 1. Have a good workout tonight! markguy, I hope your job turns out ok. Reorgs suck. What happened to your ankle? Spareribs, thanks for the heads up about Bert Yasso's book. mcsolar99, I like your evil laugh... Mariposai, rest well after that TM 20 miler. dg3, walk/run makes perfect sense right now. as for me, I'll be running 4+ miles after work with the running club. It'll be about 64 deg F around then (sorry, I do not mean to rub it in, just stating what it is!). Some folks will probably be all bundled up. I am chubby so I won't be as cold Wink
                            Re jobs: you probby have many leads and have no interest in uprooting your family, and I know nothing about the job market in Ma., but just wanted to say that northern Va. is a great place to be for someone with your recent experience.
                            Jemmama, You are right about the job market around Washington, DC. There are a zillion decent-paying jobs in intelligence there. However, you are also right that I don't want to move my family. If I were young and single it might be a different matter. But you know, not working for a while is OK with me. I might take some courses, do a little writing. We'll see. Dark Horse
                            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                            munchkn883

No walking for me today. To cold to take the GD out....she's had a really bad chest/nose cold. DD2 took her to the doctor and was told to start breathing treatments. A couple days later DD2 went to the urgent care and found out she had bronchitis. Geez, everybody in my family seems to be getting sick. So far so good for me! Hope you all get well soon and the aches and pains stop. Getting pretty windy outside and it looks really cold. Not going to venture out to see!! Happy day to all! Wink Ribs -- Like the pic!

jules2

The cold weather is leaking across the Atlantic to Blighty as its cold and windy but 4.8 miles in 36.29 tonight which is my worst for sometime, must be still getting over my cold. Santa has come late for me as I have a new mountain bike on the way lets hope we get some proper snow this year so I can play with it. DH,I was in "Int" for a while we used to have a sign saying "military intelligence is a contradiction in terms"

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.