Masters Running

Saturday, 8.22.15 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

I continue to send fire-free thoughts and good wishes to Mariposai and EP; I hope Robin is feeling a lot better today; I hope Stumpy likes his iPhone as much as I like mine; I would have also voted for Aamos to be the "Most Inspiring" because she is; I'm glad Twocat is feeling better; I wish I had been eating what Holly made last night; I hope that Tet finds some company for the Joyful's beer-load; I'm glad that Mike seems to be running pain-free, and that Ryan got a surprise graduation; and I'm glad that Evanflein had a good day yesterday, and hope she has a good race today!

I went 5.6 easy RW miles this morning in 69 muggy degrees. I was still a little fatigued from Thursday evening's race, so there was no reason to push the pace. I signed up for the NH Senior Games 1500m racewalk that is at noon tomorrow. But with surprise family company here this weekend, I don't know that I'll be able to sneak away for the race. I'll see how things are shaping up once they arrive a little later today. Meanwhile, we have our monthly conservation commission site walks this morning, followed by an educational salt marsh walk (being led by a former chair of the conservation commission), followed by a swing by the farmer's market to pick up some good eats.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Jay - super summary as usual

we ran 3 miles in IRC - no humidity in columbus - except really ugly area near airport

saw Henry's GS yesterday and bought out supermarket for his apt at ohio state; last night and today with my family at cousin's bar mitzvah.  wish we saw this family more then every few years, but it's amazing how quickly you can catch up

happy running/walking!

marj

mta: forgot to congratulate Jay - wear that shirt proudly (I have a couple  but not for first place!)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Jay and Marj and all to follow!

Jay - I hope you get to your race tomorrow.

Marj - I'm waving from Miamisburg - do you see me? 

4 recovery miles for me this morning in 67 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

followed by a swing by the farmer's market to pick up some good eats.

Been there as well this morning. I picked up some kohlrabi, because we're having a "wellness challenge" at the Y this week, and one of the challenges was to eat a new healthy food you've never had before. So - can anyone tell me what to do with this? Recipes???? They are peculiar looking creatures, that's for sure! Also, the spaghetti squash is ready!  Love that stuff. After I filled up two bags at farmer's market, I ran 4 miles on the trail and will now cut the grass before DH and I go play 18 holes of golf.

Thanks for the great recap Jay. Hope Mariposai is doing ok. And how cool for Ryan!

DS#1 and DIL are running the Madison half marathon this morning. Anxious to hear how they did as they've been training hard for this one.

Hope Tom White checks in soon

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sayhey! MM#130

22:23 5K this am.  Will check back for fire/hip news.  Seriously in need of trip to grocers.....DH home alone last weekend.  We need everything save for beer and chips.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Jay--who said anything about running pain-free?  My quads were screaming at me during my whole run, last night.  When I crawled into bed, it seemed like every muscle in body hurt.  When I woke up, this morning, it seemed like every muscle in my body hurt.  But I drug myself out of bed and had a nice little run with cross country girls.  Kind of slow, I thought, but I was fine with it.  Just 5 miles in 42:41.  Have I ever told you guys how much I love running with those kids?

Hmmm...is there a possible RA meet up in Portland, OR in 2016?  Twocat--aren't you always looking for a fall marathon?

Okay--that's it.  I think I need a nap.  See ya!

Dave59

Ran a little 5k today in my new hometown: Hands for Haiti.

24:02 (course may have been short or Garmin was wrong)

1 of 3 in men 51-60

13 of 33 among men

14 of 69 overall

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice way to start out, Dave.  Way to show off for the new folks.

A lake 5k with no prizes for me this morning.  Just sweat.  I'm hoping for longer tomorrow.

I just realized that Holly snuck in a stealth 20 miler.

Off to the town's Italian festival in a bit.  Main street gets blocked off and there is all different kinds of food and entertainment.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Worried about those fires. I recall driving through some of those towns with mariposai and the easy pacer a few years ago.

Neat about Ryan.

Nice 5Ks Aamos and Dave

13.1 horse trail miles for me.  Longest run in a very long time. It felt pretty good.  Better than the city 10 miler I did last weekend, but that was the day after an 8.2 mile hike with > 3700 ft gain.  Legs and cardio are shaping up just fine.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - nice racing!

Enke - great LR!

I asked this yesterday, but I thought I would ask again, in case anyone knows the answer - I was looking at a map of the fires in Washington and wondering, how do so many fires get started so far apart all over the state at the same time?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Hmmm...is there a possible RA meet up in Portland, OR in 2016?  Twocat--aren't you always looking for a fall marathon?

Count me in!!!!! Portland is a great marathon! Flat, fast and well organized. It was the home of my first marathon.

No running here yet. I have been working from home all day, but now it is time for me to go to the family room and put on a chick flick movie and start running a few miles on the TM.

Fires are still all around us, but no wind, so it is very good for the fires not to spread more. We are not out of the danger zone yet, but today is good.

Holly: we had a really bad lightening storm across the region a few weeks ago, which started a few fires here and there. The very dry conditions plus strong winds were the factors that multiplied the fires across the region.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

Marj - I'm waving from Miamisburg - do you see me? 

Waving back frantically!  In between activities, we went to the Franklin Conservancy with lots of family members - awesome butterflies and plants.

Nice racing Dave and Aamos

Posai - hope the wind stays down and some rain comes your way

evanflein

I was going to answer Holly too because most of our fires are caused by lightning too. Some of our worst and closest fires though were human caused (i.e. stupidity). I'm not sure what the status is with our fires because of the wet weather we've had this month, but I'm sure they've settled down a lot. Most are untended since it's just brush, trees and scrub getting burned. We don't have the population issues for the most part like in WA. Most of our firefighters have gone to WA and CA to fight those fires. This year was our second worst fire season though with over 5.2 million acres burned (yes, million).

Nice 5k Dave! I agree with Stumpy it's a nice way to get settled in the new town.

Holly, did you take yesterday off? Good way to fit a 20 miler in before the weekend.

Did that cross country 5k today and they re-did the course so it was actually 5k this year. I can't remember how many years they've been doing this race but it's always short (last year was 2.8 miles). This year measured 3.07 on my Garmin, and with all the twists and turns I'm sure it was a full 5k. Lots of up and down and MUD from the rains last night and earlier this week. Wore my trail shoes and they were great, but still slipped a few times. Did not want to fall, so went a bit slow at times. Still, 24:51 for 6th woman overall and 1st in AG. I'll take it. Then I ran home and my legs were tired! Just under 10 miles for the day.

Gotta clean the house now to get ready for DH's family to descend upon us this evening for appetizers, then off to my SIL's for dinner. All to celebrate my MIL's birthday... she turned 80 in June but this is the first time we could get the whole gang together. We're expecting up to 18 tonight...Oy.

Mariposai

Just wanted to shout out to Enkie for running 13 miles today. Look at you sistahh. Looking good for the relay.

Congrats to Erika on  her Age WIn!!! What are you serving for appetizers? Congrats to your MIL on her 80th belated birthday.

I did run 7 miles on the TM this afternoon and I was planning to go for 13 when a Fire Weather warning came on my cell phone. When will  this end?. I am happy that I had 7 miles today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

NBC fire coverage not very optimistic.  Glad you're okay Nancy.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)