Masters Running

Saturday Daily March 7 (Read 35 times)

Tramps

Quiet here this morning, so I'll jump in.

Holly--hope your surgery went well.

My running's been almost non-existant for the last couple of weeks, given our repeated ice and snow coupled with no plowing.  8 more inches earlier this week.  But the big warm up is really starting and I'm hoping to ease back into it again.  6 miles today on snowy but passable roads.

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

New skirt in town

Hope you are recuperating well, Holly!  And...that pace bunny can be reset, you know.  Just sayin'.

18.4 miles this morning, with a few on the treadmill in the dark hours, and then out to the Boston Marathon course. It was 24F and sunny, and the footing was relatively ice-free except for a few slippery paths.  I tacked on the extra 0.4 to my planned 18-miler because I spent a couple of blocks granny-stepping over the snowy, icy parts of the route!  I'm so timid on the ice, especially after yesterday's tumble.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Heat wave! We're having a heat wave! It was a tropical 16° here at 6:00 AM when I left the house. 5 miles and not on a stinkin' treadmill! I'm discovering new routes around my new house and today I discovered one that isn't very flat. Oh well, what goes up must eventually come down.The extended forecast looks outstanding which is good news now that my half marathon training plan involves more mileage.

Hope Holly is recovering nicely.

Nice run this morning Robin. And it sounds like a graceful landing yesterday. Glad you weren't hurt.

Glad your snow is melting too, Tramps. You guys deserve a really nice spring after the brutal winter you had.

We watched "Whiplash" last night. Great movie, and I can see why J K Simmons (I think that's his name??) won the supporting actor award. Between that and "House of Cards," it was a nice evening to veg out in front of the television after a week of heavy manual labor. I might even get DH to get the grill somewhere so we could do some salmon for dinner tonight.

Have a great Saturday everyone.

King of PhotoShop

The Saint and I got 5 in at the Park on a gorgeous day, bright sunny skies and no wind.  It's low 50's now and a great day to be out there.

A college kid from my town who goes to UT and is a film student is doing a piece on me, interview and shots of me running, to talk about RTYP and it's origin. So Fred Urie is in there as is Egret's logo for RTYP, old history for some of you Cool Runners. We finished the shooting today.  Spareribs

Looks like our temps are finally starting to rise as well.  -6°C at the start of the run and almost up to the freezing point now.  Odd to feel thrilled with single minus digits.  We're supposed to soar to +8°C later in the week..... first time over freezing since January.

But while it was still cold, we were able to enjoy nicely snow-packed trails this morning for 10 miles.  Love this surface... plenty of give, but smooth and nothing to trip over or roll your ankle on. A couple of wildlife sightings.... a rather large flock of wild turkeys were on the edge of the road driving to the trail head, and I caught a glimpse of a very large hawk or eagle flying between the trees near the remains of a crow that had obviously been someone's lunch.  Was hoping to see if it was an eagle, which would be a first sighting for me in the area, but I only caught a glimpse of it's silhouette.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Dave59

O h    t h e    p a i n.

I run 20-30 miles a week at pretty leisurely pace around 10 minute miles.  Then I go do a 5k and run 7:55, 8:07, 7:55, :54....  My whole body was very angry with me today for doing that to it.  Felt like I was going to throw up for half an hour (on and off.)  I feel fine now, thankfully.

This was race 4 of 4 in the Reese Winter Series.  I came in 2nd overall in the points for my age group so no trinkets for me this year.  There is a guy in my age group who beats me by 4 minutes every race and my only hope was that he didn't show up today, but he was there.

Saw Tom (tselbs) there.  Could be the last time we're at the same race if our house sells fast, but odds are I'll be around for a few more months at least so we should meet up again before I move.

With 4 races a year in the series, even though I skipped some years, I have run this race more than any other in Michigan.  18 times with a fastest time of 22:10 in 2004 and a slowest time of 27:28 in 2014.  Today's time (24:53) comes in 12th place of the 18 tries.  Some very cold and some very snowy/icy runs in those 18.

Now I have to cleaned up and get to the store for some new underwear.  I am going to be gone 2 weeks and I don't own enough to make it that far (and I'm sure as heck not going to wash any of it out in a sink for reuse   )

coastwalker

Hi everyone!

It seems like the weather and running are getting better all over the place - let's hope the good weather sticks for a while. Congrats on 2nd in your AG in the Series, Dave! It's greta that you had another Tselbes sighting at today's race.

I had a racewalking training session this morning, so my workout was indoors on the small track, rather than on the streets. I gave the other attendees their assignments/workouts for today, and, for the most part, left them in the good hands of a retired PT who is also part of our group. I kept an eye on everybody as I did my laps, and commented as appropriate as I went by. I did 5 miles (60 laps), and was nicely fatigued at the end. Some of the newbies are a little nervous as we get closer to road racing season, so we're going to have to spend an upcoming session talking about race prep, warm-up, what to wear, what to eat, and race strategies. If we can get to an outdoor track sometime next month, I'll schedule a "practice" race.

Afterwards, I went to the local running store to hunt for new shoes. The last of the 4 pairs of Mizuno Musha that I bought last year when I found out they were being discontinued are, sadly, getting close to the end of their useful life. I tried on about half a dozen different shoes, and settled on the Saucony Kinvera 5. They are lightweight (7.7 oz), have a 22mm heel with a 4mm toe drop, have a modicum of cushioning, and are nicely flexible so I can push off with my toe at the end of each stride. I still want to wear them around the house for a few days before taking them out on the roads. Once they get dirty, the store won't want me to return them. I know I could get them online from a site that has a very liberal return policy, but I like to support our local store when I can.

Keep smiling, have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good afternoon, all.  Guess everyone is busy today.

Welcome back, Tramps.  always amusing when it snows where it's not expected.  Although probably not when you have to live with it.

Nice race, Dave.  I'd like to be that fast on a bad day.

I made it outside for a run today.  The local running store (Marathon for those of you in the Boston area) posted a group run out of the store closest to me.  I figured they'd have a better idea of where the clearest routes were, so I headed down.  Turned out to be a very exclusive group--the woman leading it, one other guy, and me.  But we were all looking for something in the same area for pace and distance, so we had a fun run, doing 4.3 miles at just under 10 M/M.  The miles go so quickly while chatting, especially when I have all the time on the TM to compare against.  The group leader even bought the coffee afterwards--can't beat that!  Guess I need to go back and buy a new pair of shoes.

Nice training idea, Jay.  You'll have those guys roaring to race.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Holly - hope the recovery is going well and you have a very special birthday tomorrow.

we celebrated early with all our children and grandchildren and I'm knelling (yiddish for flying higher than a kite)

marj (I'll read everyone's post later)

TammyinGP

sounds like my running is similar to Dave's. 20-ish miles, easy pace usually. today's 5k had me pushing it but not nearly as much as Dave was pushing his!  7:51 on my first mile, but a gradual downhill made that seem easy. the 2nd mile had a couple decent hill climbs and i slowed all the way to a 9:10!  last mile was better at 8:28 I think.

26:35 for a 3rd AG.  I've now run 3 5Ks this year with about a minute improvement on each one. Still a ways to go if I think I might ever want to PR again (24:47), but coach seems to think I can do it. probably have to find a completely downhill 5K though. Wink

David tried to defend his title of 1st OA but was beat by a recent U of Georgia track runner that just moved here. So David came in 2nd but still good for a $75 prize, so he was happy with that.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Odd to feel thrilled with single minus digits.   

No Doubt!

Dave and Tammy - nice racing!

Marj - great picture!

Still alive here and doing okay......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

As Dave said, we saw each other at a local 5K.  He did well and I wasn't unhappy with my race.  The temp was in the low to mid 20s and there was some wind but so much better than most of what we've had lately.  My GPS gave me a time of 31:53, distance of 3.12, and pace of 10:13.  I was 35/47 OA and 2/3 in my AG (70+).  Marj,nice family picture.  Tammy, good job in your race with 3rd in AG and for your son with 2nd OA.

Nice long runs for DrRobin,Twocat, and heme.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Holly--I hope you feel good enough to enjoy your birthday, tomorrow.

I went out for 16 miles, today.  I was supposed to maintain a 7:17 pace.  First 8 went okay...second 8 were pretty tough.  I would like to blame the 21 mph with 35 mph gusts head wind for my trip back home but, to be honest...I ran out of gas...no fight in me, either.  Anyway--I managed a 1:59:53...I had to dig hard at the end to get under 2 hours.

Great racing Tammy, David, Dave, and Tom S!

Okay--that's it--gotta go!  See ya!

So hard to post regularly when you're not running -- have to admit it is getting depressing!!  Saw a new PT this week highly recommended by one of our coaches and fellow MVS runners.  She is thinking heel spurs not PF and she seemed to act as if that was a good thing - I'm not so sure.  Had a miserable week dealing with this heel pain and feeling like I need an x-ray to see what might really be going on!  Actually started to have a melt-down (crying) at my strength class Thursday night -- running coach leads the class and just before telling me either way this is not just going to go away -- kind of ramped up my despair, then right from the warm-up my heel is screaming pain!!  I nearly lost it!!  I know in the big scheme of things this is trivial --people are dealing with way more serious problems than heel pain and not being able to run, but I know you guys get it -- this is more than just annoying!!

Anyway ..... I am able to swim, bike and strength train so I need to count my blessings!!

Spent the day today with Nicholas and accompanied him as he bought an engagement ring for his girlfriend!!  So thankful he wanted me to share that experience with him!!

Holly hope you are recovering well,  Robin I will be there for the Masters Partay!!

SPRING AHEAD!!

denise

Mariposai

18 miles today after 4 hours of deep spring cleaning around my house.

Speaking of house cleaning, I keep dreaming that I have a magic wand to order a house cleaner weekly to clean my hut, since I am   deprived of such magic wand...I have to do just ensure that such house cleaning happens weekly by my own hands before I go out for my long run.

Long running I did today and happy for the change to run free.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard