Masters Running

Monday, October 6 Runs and Smiles and Whatever (Read 490 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Hope you don't mind me starting the daily with a non-running post. Stumpy/Kevin – congratulations on passing the 1000-mile mark! SteveP – the photo is priceless. Wildchild – I resist the long pants as long as I can, but once the temps drop into the 30’s, I break them out. When I first start having to run in more clothes, I feel so “weighted down” and almost hindered by the extra layers, especially pants. I know it’s mostly in my head, but somehow I feel faster and lighter in bare legs. No run for me today – light x-training instead: push-ups, weighted squats, dead lifts, dumbbell curls, triceps extensions, superman lifts, reverse flies, crunches and wall-sits. This morning DD had Dexter the dog trapped in a corner of the living room and forced into playing dolls with her. I was singing as I packed her lunch and she said, “Mom, can you stop singing? I like your singing, but Dexter wants you to stop.” “Oh,” I said, “Does it hurt his ears?” “No,” she said solemnly, “It makes him angry.” Shocked Shocked

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You'd think everyone was tired from the weekend or something Smile I'll add in another non-running post to keep Holly company. No actual exercise on my part, however. Thank you to everyone who noticed my milestone yesterday. You guys are a big part of keeping me running. I really like hanging out here and it wouldn't feel quite right to stay around if I wasn't running. Shy Busy week at work to get ready for 6 days in Orlando. DD and her dance studio are performing at Disney and DW and I get to go along Big grin Sure hope to get in some miles down there and that it won't be TOO hot, now that I'm into fall mode up here. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for the Start off Holly....you don't really sing that bad do ya Big grin Running or not, you can always start us off. I feel the same way about RA Kevin. Oh yeah, congrats on your big milestone...guess I missed it before. Well, I woke up this morning with a very sore left calf muscle, and dull ache from my left knee down to my ankle (limping around this morning) Evil grin. I never felt any pain on my weekend runs, so this was totally un-expected. But it does feel like the sort of pain that well subside soon...I hope. 2 more hard weeks to taper, so hopefully I will be OK till then....maybe I just slept on my leg wrong last night. Greta race reports so far, and looking forward to the others. Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Morning everyone. 4.5 miles on the eliptical at the Y this morning, followed with leg work and some crunchies. Holly - I would love to meet your DD - she comes up with some great zingers! Are you still using that membership at the club that doesn't make you check in? Tim - take care of that leg. After all this hard training, you don't want to risk an injury right before the marathon. Kevin - congrats on the mileage milestone yesterday. Like you, I don't put in anywhere near the miles most of the others do, but they still make me feel like I'm part of their running family. We do what we can do, right? Well, my house full of company leaves today. Big grin After 4 days, I don't know where to start in the cleaning process! I was almost glad to go to work this morning just to not have to think about it. It's raining here - a dreary Monday. The Packers, Brewers and Badgers lost, and the Wisconsin marching band has been suspended for "inappropriate conduct." I guess when Wisconsin fell off the top ten list of party schools, the band felt like they needed to pick up the slack! Have a great Monday, everyone. Jeanne

Hill Runner

Good morning all, A rest day for me. Twocat, sorry the weather didn't go your way but your disappointing run was probably my dream goal for a half.. Smile Tramps...nice pace on that 21 yesterday!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Sorry I didn't get to post after my race yesterday...a very busy day after the race. I had to go see my oldest grandson play football (which is a pleasure not a chore), then when I did get home my neighbors had just finished taking in their docks so we ended up taking in mine as well. After finishing that I had some dinner and then well...I just crashed, I was exhausted! Tongue I posted a separate race report but for those of you who may not want to read my long winded report her is a synopsis: Pre race goals were as follows: 1 – Another BQ to get me set for 2010 - Done 2 – Break my PR of 3:26:59 - Done 3 – A 3:20:00 if all goes as planned – 7:38 pace. - Done 4 – Not to pass a water stop without taking either water or Gatorade regardless of thirst!! - Done Official clock time 3:19:38 - net time - 3:19:28 a PR by 7:22!! Big grin This photo was taken by a friend who writes stuff for New England Runner..he said we might see it again in the Nov/Dec iss, who knows just maybe. You can just make out the 3:19 on my Garmin too, can you tell I'm just a bit excited?

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow - great job and great photo Mainerunnah!!! Congratulations Kevin on passing 1,000 miles. Holly - too funny! Thanks for starting us off. TIM! Take care of that leg and keep us posted. Good morning!! SRD for me today too as week 2 of taper madness begins. Only 22 miles this week - geez!!! We were gone for the weekend, so I know I have lots to catch up on. Friday morning I was out for a 12 miler early and this was my view from each side of a bridge I cross. Not bad for a phone camera: Sunrise in the East: Fog over the lake tothe West: I was hoping for more fall foliage color to show up - but it was still a very pretty and COOL morning!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

no running post for me this morning. Just a brief hello to all.....and what a BEAUTIFUL morning you had Hopeful. Nice pics...thanks for posting them.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Tramps

Tim—sorry about the tough LR this weekend. At least it’s out of the way. Tammy—glad the dogs you meet are friendly! I agree about these temps; love ‘em. Steve—donuts?! Ugh, just the thought makes me gag. (Nice pic, though!) Henry—nice Brooklyn Bridge run! Awesome view. Kevin—1000! Maine—congrats on a great race time! In that photo, you look totally fresh and ready to do it again. (And you have a dock? Cool.) Mary—beautiful pics Easy 5.4 @ 8:49 on a day with IRC.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mainerunnah – amazing performance! Like Tramps said, you look so fresh for having just completed a PR marathon. Dg – I meant to comment on your awesome LR yesterday – 9.43 miles with and ave pace of 9:33 – awesome! Btw, you are at the moment WAY faster than me. Mary – beautiful pics. Tim – I’m keeping my fingers crossed that your calf pain is quickly resolved. Maybe you want to ice, ice, ice.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

8 easy miles with T this morning...8:00 pace,saw lots of squirrels on my run yesterday with big fluffy tails...what does that mean? On Saturday I will be driving over 4 hours to run in a 5K...Mariposai is the RD...WOOT!!!
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                          There must be something in the water over there in Ann Arbor, as we can add dg to the list of LD runners from that area. Way to go on the LR pace yesterday! I'm pretty wiped out from my bike ride yesterday. I ended up only doing 57 miles once I realized just how long it would take -- not to mention the effort -- to do the 100-mile route. For me, it would be a good 7 hours of pedaling, plus rest-stop time, etc. It was also barely above freezing for the first couple of hours, and it's amazing how exertion in the cold can really take it out of you even if you're dressed for it. Some great marathon RRs on the forum today. Make sure you read them if you haven't already. After volunteering at the HM this weekend, I'm starting to get the bug for doing some long runs next year.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I intended to get up early this morning and run some Intervals/Repeats. But I tossed and turned for several hours and this messed up that plan. I do notice that now that I'm not running 6 days a week, my sleep pattern is messed up - something that is really unusual for me. I'm thinking that I'm TOO rested some days and not tired enough to sleep through the night. When I run, I sleep. If I don't I may have issues. Something for me to think about as I train. Yesterday our new Adult Choir that I sing in got introduced to the church. We sang one song that's kind of nice and got a polite applause. Then we let them have it with a really powerful, intense song ("I Am") that blew everyone away. We got hoots and hollers and even a couple of "Amens" - which is highly unusual for a Lutheran congregation! I can't really describe how singing in a choir makes me feel. I grew up playing guitar and singing and was in a Men's Glee club in college. I was up half the night with that "I Am" tune running through my head. I just love choir so much. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Rest day Smile Although we are going hiking near Mt Hood today. Hopefully the rain holds off.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

dg.

good morning! no run for me either today. couldn't decide if it should be complete rest or prehab, so i did prehab but lazily. Bob, congratulations!!!! amazing & wonderful. Mary, those are beautiful. how are you? any entertaining symptoms? congrats on all the LR's yesterday. Peter, I hope someday I can do a pleasurable 20 miler. Tramps thanks for passing on the tips. glad it worked. Holly, I love that one. and thanks. faster? no way. You've been doing great on your intervals. I need to start doing those deliberately. still, it sounded nice. Smile Gordon, i'll get an early start on saying good luck this weekend. See if you can find it in yourself to give Mariposai a big hug from me. Wink. Thanks Doug! Blush. The Rochester Hills water seems to be pretty good too. Just 57 miles? I was thinking about you this weekend. Ok, fall in Michigan can be pretty nice. I won't mention that i actually started counting the months till spring this morning. I was just mildy curious. iso nice to have those RR's to look forward to.