Masters Running

Washington (state) recommendation for half-marathon? (Read 31 times)

Hi all,

I have a prospective student here who wants to do her first half marathon in Washington state (she's actually in Seattle right now) -- in March or April.  Any ideas?

Mariposai

Omak Orchards in Bloom.  Omak, Wa. April 27th.

Website is being updated this week. Registration at Active.com.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mercer Island half, end of March. It's hilly, but well organized. I think whidbey island half is in April. Smaller and scenic.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

For a student's first half-marathon,

I think teacher is supposed to attend too.

Didn't two-cat too once in Dublin?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Just one day beyond: Tacoma  http://tacomacitymarathon.com/

Tony P., one of the three Maniac founders, runs this one (I mean, he's the Race Director) and generally gets high marks all around.

There's a half marathon.  Here's what Runners World said about the marathon (listed it as a great small town race):

Where: Tacoma, Washington
            When: May 1, 2016
            Approximate Number of Finishers: 600
            Register: tacomacitymarathon.com

Why Run It: Nearly a third of this point-to-point course is along the city’s waterfront, including a one-mile stretch across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. After winding through neighborhoods in Tacoma’s North End, runners head to Point Defiance, a 760-acre park with views of Puget Sound, the peninsula, and some nearby islands. The rest of the race follows along Tacoma’s waterfront, where runners get spectacular views of Mt. Rainier, then along Commencement Bay before finishing at the Tacoma Art Museum.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

having run the Tacoma City Marathon, I can confirm the much more spectacular views of Mt. Rainier down there than from here in Seattle.  Besides, maybe a  Tacoma venue might provide some convenient accommodations for teach to come up, especially if she knows anyone else from Tacoma in the running.   Also, with thousands of other halfers, teach's student might find friends from here in the running too, or join a local training group for even more support and fun.

Otherwise, for anyone from somewhere else doing their one-and-only PNW half, it posies’s Orchards hands down.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Oooo, thank you thank you!  Lots for her to choose from.  I agree -- Tacoma sounds so much fun.  And Omak!

Mariposai

If she comesto Omak she can stay wirh us. Free bed and breakfast

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai

If she comesto Omak she can stay wirh us. Free bed and breakfast