Masters Running

Many, many thanks from Amy and me! (Read 495 times)

btb1490

Your support has been immeasurable. There are no words to describe the impact you all have had on this girl and her family. And on me. I am humbled by your generosity. Pictures tell the story. These are from mile 13. l. to r. Me, Amy and her mom, Michael. Michael is a friend of Amy's family, and also an employee of Children's Hospital. He too was running on Amy's behalf. Amy was being a bit of a poop and wouldn't smile for the photo, but a quick tickle to the knee did the trick!
      Could Amy be any cuter? Nope. Smile Bob, you are a wonderful guy to have done this for her and her family. God Bless You. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Great photos, Bob. She is a cutie!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

What a precious little thing!!! That pic of you and Amy speaks a thousand words! She is just adorable! eta: I'm curious - how did you get hooked up with Amy? Did you know of her beforehand and decided to run for her or did you just indicate you wanted to run for a child at Children's and that is who they designated for you? I'm not sure how all that works out. . .?

Tammy

Pictures tell the story.
            And what a great story it is! WTG Bob!
            Mariposai

btb, you finished running the marathon for Amy, but your involvement in her life is not finished, right? What a sweetie she is. Thanks for taking the time of your life to make a difference in her life. WTG.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Hi Bob, She is too cute!! And I agree with Tammy about the picture of the two of you speaking a thousand words. I looked for you on Monday; I saw a lot of the CHB checkered tanks (not that there could be too many!), but wasn't able to pick out the one with AMY on it. You did a wonderful thing for Amy. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

That's just great, Bob. Many thanks to you for introducing Amy to us. You're a great guy.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

btb1490

I'm curious - how did you get hooked up with Amy? Did you know of her beforehand and decided to run for her or did you just indicate you wanted to run for a child at Children's and that is who they designated for you? I'm not sure how all that works out. . .?
                    Tammy, good question. If you have a specific patient at Children's that you want to run for, you can request that person. This was my first time running for them though, and I didn't know anyone specific there, so I got randomly assigned. I wouldn't call it random though, somehow it was fate.
                    btb, you finished running the marathon for Amy, but your involvement in her life is not finished, right? What a sweetie she is. Thanks for taking the time of your life to make a difference in her life. WTG.
                    Mariposai, it's not over by a long shot. I am hooked on this little girl. I already asked them if I could run for Amy next year, and they said it would be an honor. We are already making plans for visits this summer with each other. They hold a family BBQ each year to which I am invited, which really touched me. And I've got an open invitation for them to visit me during the summer. Amy loves the beach, so we are making plans to go searching for sea glass while they are here. I'm a little embarassed to post this, but this is from Amy's mom yesterday... We will be talking about this day for years to come and have some wonderful photos as memories. We are incredibly proud of you for taking this on, running for Amy and raising money for Children’s. I told her that you really enjoyed running the marathon for her and she told me that she would like you to run again. I think the honor is ours if you would run for Amy again next year. We would definitely sign up again, especially if we knew you were running. We went to the zoo today with a great group of heart moms. I have a group of friends whose children have a congenital heart defect and most have had open heart surgery. It is great for Amy because she gets to be around other heart buddies with special hearts and scars like hers. Some of these kids were also patient partners for the marathon and I was sad to hear that many did not get much response from their runners. It made me realize again how lucky we were to have a fantastic runner who ‘got it’. Perhaps you get out of it what you put into it? How can I not be involved? Smile
                    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Bob--I was so glad to see that you made it the whole way. Sure looks like you had a wonderful rest stop there at mile 13. once again, many thanks for your Boomer get-together on Sunday. I'm still eating the leftover cookies. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

seemomgo

This little angel is very special as are you. I know you two were brought together for a reason!!! What a special relationship you will always have not only with Amy, but her family too. Sea glass collecting is my favorite thing to do at the beach. Each piece has a story and is beautiful! What a fun thing for you both to look forward too! Big hugs to you and Amy and her family!!!

Me

Bob, Wow. What an experience. It sounds as though you really made an impact on Amy and her family. That says more about you than words ever could. Mike

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

How very special Bob! Don't be embarrassed about posting Amy's moms letter - it was very touching and you obviously touched their hearts, as they did yours. Please keep us posted on your reunions and time spent together. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

It's a wonderful thing you've done for Amy, and you've been a wonderful addition to this forum. I only hope that I can meet you and shake your hand in person someday.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

Thanks for sharing that letter. It is too bad that some of the patients didn't have much contact with their runner. It's too bad for the kids, but also a big loss for the runner - to not have made that special connection with "their child", which obviously adds to the overall significance and meaning of what it means to have a child to run for in the Boston Marathon. It's so much more than just being out there running for 3 or 4 or 5 hours - it is about making an impact and seeing how you can be used in a child's life. And obviously you are being used in a great way as you've become a part of Amy's family. That is indeed very very special. And I think most everyone here also feels as if Amy is a part of this running community and running a mile here or there for her at the Boston Marathon doesn't end there. I bet many of us, if not all of us, will be thinking of her at various races we do throughout the year and getting energy from remembering her infectious smile and determination.

Tammy