Masters Running

Car mounted GPSs--only slightly OT (Read 198 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I figured that since so many folks here have running Garmins, I'd see what their opinions might be for a GPS for automobile use. I'm thinking of getting one for DW as an early birthday present. She and DD will be going out to LA to do college visits in April and I thought it might come in handy out there. I'm guessing that the extra cost of having one in a rental car will go a long way towards buying one that we'll have when we're done. So, any opinions or suggestions would be wlecome. ETA: are they expensive or a pain to keep updated? download or yearly update?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stumpy - I have a Garmin NUVI that I wouldn't want to be without, especially when traveling. It is small and fits inside a carrying case the size of a pack of cards and is very easy to use. I 've had mine a number of years and couldn't be happier. I bought my DW one this year for Christmas and as much as she is NOT a techy she has actually grown to like it. Good luck with your search.

#artbydmcbride

Mr. Forward has them for the car and his motorcycles. He loves them, ..I know nothing except he is downloading maps all of the time for them.

Runners run

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I bought MrHopeful a Garmin Street----something for Christmas two years ago that we just love. When he bought his new car a few months ago, Chrysler sent us the Garmin NuVi 255 which is also wonderful. We also gave that particular model to my father-in-law and he cannot imagine traveling without one now. From what I hear Garmin is the way to go vs. TomTom or some of the other cheaper brands. Have fun - she will love it.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

evanflein

We have the Nuvi 305 and used it in Florida. It had no idea where our hotel was until we marked it as "home." Had us going all over the place in the dark, turns out we were miles away, but the address we had was not in the mapping system it had. For the most part, it did pretty well, but didn't seem to "know" how to get to some restaurants and such that seemed like they should've been easy. A fun toy, but I don't know how dependable it is sometimes.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOVE OUR NUVI!! The best feature is the "expected arrival time," which is amazingly accurate. It really helps us plan our trips. On our college trip, it was helpful to know if we could make a particular tour on time or not. It's even useful to DH around town when he has business meetings - if it looks like he'll be a little late, he can call ahead to let them know. It's also great to look at the list of nearby restaurants when you're in the middle of nowhere and starving. Be sure to call ahead (the phone numbers are listed, also) to make sure the place is still in business. It helped us out crossing the border into Canada close to Niagara Falls. An electronic highway sign informed us that there was a LONG wait at the bridge we planned to cross, so we plugged in the name of another bridge and found the fastest way to get there. We would have been kind of lost, otherwise. The only thing we've found is that sometimes it will take you on back roads. While that might be theoretically faster, sometimes I'm not in the mood to be on a winding, hilly road through Vermont at midnight! We haven't updated our software yet, so I don't know how hard or expensive that is. We'll never be without one again, though, and we'll probably buy them for our kids when they start driving their own cars. Have fun!

flatland mountaineer

We have a Garmin Nuvi 680 and have had a very good experience with it. We named it Vi and she can cop a 'tude with ya if you don't go where she says," R-E-C-A-L-C-U-L-A-T-I-N-G". It does seem as though after the last update she might have suffered a slight stroke, she got rather confused and had to be rebooted in HAL(obscure 2001 Space Odessy reference) fashion. On balance I wouldn't be without, if your reading this as a master don't go smaller than the 4.3 inch screen.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

King of PhotoShop

I take it with me when I travel on business as I am an idiot about directions and having a "sense" of where I am. Each year you have to (or should) download their latest update on maps, and although that is pretty expensive ($79), it is worth it to do so, if you travel professionally as I do. I suppose you could get away with not doing that, but then you would be complaining about it "not knowing" things, as others have pointed out. I love it. One tip: After you start your car and the Nuvi lights up, give it a chance to catch signals first, before you enter where you want to go. Once you get moving and then try to enter stuff it never catches up with you. All in all, I thing it's a sound buy. Go for it. Spareribs

Head Procrastinator

I have had 3 handheld Garmins's for hiking and a TomTom One for the car. If I was going to buy a car GPS right now it would be the Nuvi 500
                    ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOL, r2farm, we call ours, "Chatty Cathy."
                      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I have to find a good deal on one now. They appear to be like a printer. The downloads will end up costing a lot more than the original GPS Roll eyes

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.