Masters Running

*spoiler alert* Star Wars Force Awakens observations (Read 28 times)

Hi all -- little Econo and I saw Star Wars and thought it was good fun, if not a bit duplicative (ok, an homage) to the early SW movies.  What did you like/dislike  about it?

When Princess Leia -- I mean General Leia -- first appeared in the movie, much to my surprise, I burst into tears!  I had to take my 3D glasses off and blubber into my hanky.  Seeing her as an older woman was very moving in a "Sunrise, Sunset" kind of way.  We are all getting older, and the former cast members made me realize what side of the generational cast I'm on...

Anyway, 3D is stupid -- see it regular or maybe IMAX 3D.  The 3D computer coloring is dark and bad.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks econ-san. Knowing what happens in a movie never ruined it for me as I appreciate looking forward to the good parts and gearing up for the bad. Even helped me avoid a few I would have regetting seeing if I had. There can’t be too many spoilers as far as I’m concerned. However, just wait for another 20 years if you really want to know what it’s like to be getting old. Hope yours is a much fun as mine.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thank you, wise Tetsujin!  Looks like nobody here has seen the movie yet -- I keep thinking of more stuff I want to discuss but nobody has seen it here in Eugene, either!

TammyinGP

DH and I saw it last night and I guess with all the hype about it, we both expected more. I think the dialogue was pretty cheesy in many parts of the movie. It was obvious to us both that this was now a Disney movie (lucasfilm, but disney acquired), as the plots were a bit too predictable and more simplistic (in our view).  Still a good flick, and worth seeing on the big screen, but not as great as we expected.

Tammy

spacityrunner

I have never seen star wars.

Trails Rock!

My DW and I saw it opening night. My take on FB was that you do not have to go to the theater to see it. Just get the DVD to episodes 4 and 5 (the first two movies produced). Watch every other scene. You have now seen the "new" Star Wars movie! I am hoping episode 8 is actually includes a new script. Episodes 1 to 3 and 6 varied between mediocre  and awful!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

BlazinCajun

My wife and daughters saw it. Disappointed. Wish they had made a better connection between episode 6 and this movie. Typical Disney protocol in your face kind of stuff. Agree with Twocat - very weak script.

Andrew
                ------------------
                God, my Lord, is my strength;
                he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                and enables me to go upon the heights.
                Hb 3:19

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I remember going to see the first Star Wars in the theater back in the 70's - it may have been the first PG movie I saw.  I was blown away.  It was really the first of its kind - a sci-fi movie that took itself seriously, with the best special effects at that time.  I loved it.  The next two were not as good to me, and when the later movies came (I can never remember the way they have re-ordered them, they were good but never hit me the way that first one did.

I will likely wait until the recent movie comes out on DVD and watch it at home, in my PJs on the sofa, surrounded by our dogs and the cat.  Our 60" TV is not quite the movie theater experience, but the advantage of being able to watch in my PJs and stop it for snacks makes up for it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I went to the movie and enjoyed it. I didn't even notice it was a duplicate of the first (released) movie until people started talking about it afterwards.Guess I just turned off the thinking portion of my brain...  Or maybe I never turn it on.