Masters Running

Martian Half Marathon - Dearborn, MI - Sunday 6 Apr (Read 228 times)

Basic stats Time 2:04:37 Pace 9:31/mi 814/1443 OA 10/19 AG (60-64) Last month, my daughter, Sandy, said she had signed up for this race. My speed and enthusiasm have been rather sluggish for awhile and I wasn't sure I wanted to do a half, but always like to support my kids. I debated not going at all, going and being a cheerleader, or going and doing the race as a training run, either with Sandy or at my own pace. Saturday, I finally decided to go and run. I got up at 3:30 and drove to Sandy's to get her and then to Dearborn. I don't know the history of the name, but there were inflatable aliens all over the place, a few people in wild costume, and the strangest race shirt (technical) that I have ever seen. The weather was nice, in the mid 40s for the start and low 50s at the end. The course was fairly flat and wandered around U of M, Dearborn and Henry Ford Community College. The nicest parts of the course were at the begining and end. We started with a two mile loop that went by what I believe is Henry Ford's home, Fairlane. The rest was basically an 11 mile out and back with a little change at the end to run a nice paved trail through some woods. I didn't expect to see people I knew as this is a ways from home. Before the race, though, Sandy saw a coworker and friend of his who were also doing the half (there was also a full). It was nice meeting and visiting with them. As we were waiting in the starting area, I finally decided that I would run on my own rather than stay with Sandy. As the first few miles passed, I was running about a 9:30 pace which seemed comfortable and would fit in with my "training run" plan. My pace appeared to be staying about there, or just a little better for quite a ways. Just before the turnaround, I was surprised to see my friend Leonard, who I've mentioned in other reports, coming back towards me. We exchanged greetings and continued on. Shortly after the turn around, I saw Sandy approaching the turn and we greeted each other. Somewhere around mile 9 or 10, I realized I had slipped to more than a 9:30 pace and gave a little more effort but didn't really push it. As I neared the finish, I thought I might have a chance for 9:30 and pushed a little more, doing the last .1 at an 8:54 pace. Sandy finished about 10 minutes after me and wasn't feeling too bad. We had been concerned as she had done 15 miles a week before and had a knee that had bothered her all week. The knee didn't act up during the race. I hope that when I talk to her today that it's still ok. At the end of the race she said she'd also gotten a blister on her 15 miler and about 6 miles of the half she could feel it being a problem. She just kept going in spite of it and now has a record blister on her heel. After the race, we ran into Leonard who was with another local runner I've seen before but never talked to. We had a nice visit with them. As an aside, I ran my first race in June of 2000 at the age of 56 and this was my 100th race. This is not much compared with many of you but for me, it was, pardon the pun, a milestone. I'm glad that I did decide to go and do the race. Sandy and I enjoyed ourselves. TomS
    selb3

Way to go Tom Big grin 100 races is quite an accomplishment. Very good for Sandy also! Roll eyes (supposed to represent a Maritian - little green man!) Hope Sandy's blister resolves itself, after all, she has a marathon here pretty soon! Dave
        Nice race, Tom. I'm sure your daughter loved having you participating with her. And 100 races in just 8 years? To me, that's quite an accomplishment.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

huskydon

Nice job. I think it is so cool that your daughter likes to run races and dear ol' dad can support her by running too. Way to go keeping it deliberate and at a reasonable pace. I think I will have to see a photo of the inflatable Martians so I can fully picture the scene. Nothing like that around here, for sure. I am also curious about the race shirt as well. Thanks for the report! huskydon
            Congrats on your 100th race! Cool Cool Cool! And especially cool to have accomplished it at the Martian! I loved that race, and have a picture of the inflatable martians here, in my office. The shirt is the best! I'm going to have to go back and run it again as mine is wearing out, I wear it so often! Good for Sandy; please pass along my best to her. Blisters are maddening--you don't want to pull out of a race for a blister, it seems so wimpy, but I am prone to them and they really hurt! Good job hanging there, and I'm glad her knee held up so well. grins, A
            Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

Well done on the Century in racing Tom. You always manage to combine family or social activities to your races, which I know makes them even more enjoyable for you. Congrats to your daughter as well. Spareribs
                Nice race, Tom. I'm glad you talked yourself into it. I know what you go through, as I have to talk myself into most races and am usually happy I did afterward. I did a 5k race yesterday with temp's in the 30's and a stiff north breeze and could easily have passed on it. Did I tell you I hate to run in the cold? Like you, I was pleased I did when it was over. I run a lot of 5k's and I don't think I've reached 100 yet so that milestone is quite impressive. Fran

Marathon Maniac #957

Tom - glad you went, and that you had a good time. Last week when I was running the ORRRC marathon, I chatted for a while with a woman who was going up to run the Martian Marathon. She said they had the best race shirts around.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

100 races is a big deal congratulations and way to go. Glad you enjoyed your family and friends as usual. I see Derrick finished the marathon but no report as of yet. I took this one off because I ran in Flushing last weekend so I didn't want to mess up this weeks long runs. My focus is on Bayshore for now but I would love to do this one next year. Hopefully there is 100 more in you in the next 8 years.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

I enjoy reading about your running and your family's running. 100 races! I don't know if I am more impressed with the one hundred or the fact that you kept count. (I woefully neglectful in keeping my own records) Please put this one on your list: http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=2076061029 if possible... Ralph and I are hoping to make this one our Fall marathon and would love to meet any Michiganians in or about Grand Rapids... Your friend, Rose
                      LaVita
                        Marvelous and congratulations on number 100. Your reports always contain great running descriptions as well as the fun and joy you have with family and friends. I am glad we are sharing mile 13 for Amy! Speedy healing to Sandy and thanks for sharing this. CNYrunner
                        nowor

Wow in 8 years 100 races have had the pleasure of your friendly competitiveness. I bet folks, besides your family, look forward to seeing you toe the line. It's just great that you started your busy day racing w/ your daughter.
                            Congrats on a nice outing with the daughter....your very fortunate to be able to run with family.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              wow - 100 races!! that is great!! Big grin hope Sandy's blister is better - has she tried nu-skin? i think it works great.

denise

So you were a late bloomer, I mean Boomer to running? Impressive on 100 races. I am very curious about this shirt now, since Aamos seems to like it. Congrats!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."