Masters Running

It's the Thursday Daily! 4.25.13 (That's 1-5, scrambled) (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

'Nother busy day today. I need to find a way to have fewer meeting on my schedule, especially evening meetings; they really wear me down, especially when I'm getting up at 4am. I had significant car overheating troubles on the way home from last night's meeting, and called DW to meet me at our local garage so I could just leave the car there for them to look at it this morning. There's always something.

3.3 paper-bag miles this morning in mild, but overcast and windy conditions. The few drops I felt as I got going were muchmuchmuch more numerous by the time I got home. At one point, I turned a corner into a headwind that was carrying the fragrance of fresh skunk - one that either got startled, threatened, or was in a recent fight. Fortunately, I passed that point fairly quickly. I'm trying to take it easy on my workouts for the 2nd half of this week so I'll have reasonably fresh legs for Sunday's half, but I'm so undertrained that I don't know that it'll matter. I'm changing my strategy for the race to one that includes a slow start and see what happens.

Have a thoughtful Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hey coastwalker - you wouldn't happen to be a math nut would you?

SRD for me but I may go out for an easy couple anyway to test out new shoes.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mmmmmmm - fresh skunk. Could the morning start any better?  Sorry about your car Jay. It sounds like you could use a nice, relaxing weekend.

What kind of new shoes are you wearing wcrunner?

Erika - I'm with you. And Carolyn, you might want to skip this paragraph. This has been the most godawful winter/spring that I can remember. We've had one day above 50° and then the wind was blowing out of the north about 30 mph. The dirt is still frozen in most of my planters and the few tulips that started to come up have shrunk and keeled over trying to fight the freezing temps every night.

You're right Mariposai. Race entry fees are getting crazy. I think your idea would go over very well.

Steve - no caption for the picture, but Avenger Dog looks like he'd like to be on the other side of that window!

30 minutes on the ARC trainer this morning, then decided to jump into a spin class. Holy cow - that class kicked my butt! It didn't help that the instructor was a 20-something young lady with long legs and no body fat. Probably won't be able to get into a sitting position tomorrow but it was fun trying to keep up with all of the "kids" in the class Smile

Good luck to all the weekend racers!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Well you know what they say, there's comfort in numbers....

8.18 ho-hum miles for me, 9:38 avg pace, just enough to keep the body from turning into complete sludge this week. Usually Thursday is my rest day, but I've got a 5k on Sunday so I'll take tomorrow off instead.

Got out early to the park for a change, and as I returning to my car at the end of my run, I heard all the dogs in the area going wild and straining at their leashes. These three beauties had just emerged from the woods, crossed behind the parking lot and were traversing the stream to get to the woods on the other side.

Have a great day everyone!

Quick post for now.  My calf felt fine this morning so I headed out to run.  Got about 3/4 mile and started feeling sore in some tendon in my lower left outside leg.  I know enough not to ignore complaints by my tendons so I packed it in and headed home.  Sad  Man if it is not one thing it is another.

coastwalker I have no freakin clue as to what the title on today's daily means!  Confused  I hope they do not take my degree away for being so clueless.  Black eye

SteveP OMG is that a dog biscuit factory!  Sorry, that is the best I could come up with on such short notice.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

coastwalker I have no freakin clue as to what the title on today's daily means!  Confused  I hope they do not take my degree away for being so clueless.  Black eye

Rearrange the number of today's date, 4-25-13 and you have the numbers 1-2-3-4-5 "scrambled". I thought it was pretty obvious...

King of PhotoShop

Sorry to miss you all for a day or two, but swamped with work.  My day in Philadelphia went well and I got an early flight home, so I'm back at it.

4.5 easy miles, first time I can say that since Boston, so I think I'm okay now.

Speaking of numbers, here's a quick quiz I give learners in my workshops on sales skills, from Daniel Kahneman:

"A ball and a bat cost $1.10.  The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.  How much does the ball cost?"

Even people who are very good at math will often answer "ten cents" as that is where our brain goes automatically, but it's easy to see that answer is wrong. I use this to illustrate how easily our brain provides automatic responses, rather than using its full cognitive power to solve every problem.  This means that when salespeople include benefit statements in conversations with us, we are apt to believe them!  (They do work you know.)  It's a fun illustration. Try it at the dinner table tonight.  Spareribs

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, I will admit that I usually just lurk here, but am I the only one who immediately scribbled down an algebra equation to answer Ribs' question?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Good one Ribs.  I'm going to trick my kids tonight with it.

So are we going to have a mathy kind of day?

Great photo of Tag.  I was thinking something like "Don't you get my joke?  It's hilarious!  Squirrel ice cream!  Get it!?!"

4.2 mile sproinky run, ah, so nice.  Felt effortless.  How often do you get to say that?

{{{crummy spring sufferers}}}

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

(From a FB post)

If

2 = 6,

3 = 12,

4 = 20,

5 = 30,

6 = 42,

Then

9 = ?????

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tammy, congrats to your son on another fine track performance.  breger, 90.

Nice long run for mari.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 30s with some wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:18 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

aka FlyingFinn

89?

I'm going out now for a short run.

Good luck to the racers this weekend! My weekend starts today as I have Fridays off for babysitting.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Not a bloody clue!  Black eye  I need a new job I am clearly unqualified for the one I have, "Do you want fries with that?"  Sad

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

spareribs - that was too easy. I just did a quick mental calculation

breger1 -

n = n * (n + 1)   not really equal, rather yields per the pattern

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.