Masters Running

Boston Marathon (non) race report (Read 362 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Boston marathon 2008 – PBJ takes a DNS Long-suffering Mrs. PBJ and I loaded the PBJsters into the minivan and headed out to Boston on Saturday. First stop – lunch with dear, old friends from Lexington at Kelly’s (next to the Jordan’s furniture store) in Natick. Kelly’s had a dismantled carousel, and the only food you can get is deep fried beige. The Jordan’s furniture had a New Orleans theme, and Stew Leonard’s like animatronics. The PBJsters loved it. Back on the Mass pike, I made the mistake of heading for a fast pass toll booth (hey, I’m a stranger in a strange land). Then I look over, and who’s in the next car? The Pro! Long-Suffering innocently asks, “Is he a stalker?” “I’m not sure.” We finally arrive at the hotel, and unload all of our flotsom. We’re staying at the Intercontinental (our fourth different hotel in as many Boston marathon trips). Positives – beautiful bathroom, awesome spa/workout complex, and very friendly employees. Negatives – in the financial district (further away from the action, and the closest restaurants were closed), and parking attendants try to scam some extra bucks. “Our computer was down last night, so you have to pay an extra $39.” “But the hotel bill charged for two nights parking already.” “Oh – never mind.” After freshening up, we head to South station and hop on the T to the Boomer party in Somerville. PBJ Jr. loves the T. “I want to go back to the hotel,” and “let’s take the subway,” are his two favorite phrases. At the party, everyone is remarkably generous, and the PBJ family is remarkably receptive. We took ‘til it hurt. What a great time; I can’t say thanks enough to all those there. Sunday morning – lifting session in the hotel, followed by an invigorating run through the finish area and along the banks of the river Charles at dawn. A quick shower, and it’s off to watch the US female Olympic trials. What an exciting race, and we were able to see the runners half a dozen different times. Deana Kastor was so strong, and Joanie Benoit-Samuelson was remarkable. After the race, we joined about twenty thousand others at the Expo. We loaded the big red bag with as many goodies as possible, and watched the 2007 video playing on the high def screen. Tall was right – PBJ the jester was featured in one of the shots. “My fifteen minutes of fame’” I said. “More like a second and a half of fame,” Long-Suffering corrected. Then it was time to do the most difficult task of the weekend – I turned my chip in. There were about a dozen others there, also looking forlorn, and there were no BAA volunteers in sight. As it turns out, the pizza had just arrived, and the volunteers were happily munching on their lunch behind the curtain. I guess that’s allowed. By this time, PBJ Jr. was muttering like Rainman, so we decided it would be best to have some quiet rest time at the hotel. It’s amazing what staying up an hour past your normal bedtime can do to a six year old. While Long-Suffering and PBJ Jr. rested, the other PBJsters and I went to the pool. Unfortunately, there was just a smidge too much chlorine in the water. Off to the trough dinner. It was a very efficiently served pasta dinner. That had to be consumed al fresco because the Big Apple Circus’s tent was in the way. Long-Suffering decided to dump her dinner all over PBJster #1, and PBJ Jr. had to be lashed to the chair to prevent him from being blown away, but other than that, the meal was a success. Thanks for the cannolis, Bob. Not content with some of the finest pastries on earth, The PBJ family staggered into the dessert tent. We filched more than our fair share of greek yogurt, cookies, and Lindt dark chocolate balls. No matter how bad the meal, if you end it with Lindt, it will be an enjoyable dining experience. Back to the hotel, and the whole PBJ crew was in bed by 7:30. The next morning, I was up at 4 for another lifting session, and a half hour on the stepper. Then coffee, checkout, and a quick trip to Newton Center. We had a greasy breakfast at the Brighton Café (just what we wanted), and then it was on to the Boomer water stop at mile 20. We helped the folks from Children’s hospital set up their tent, and got some cowbells from the Saucony reps. Then it was time for some serious cheering. A word of caution – excessive applauding can create callouses, and prolonged cowbell use can cause dementia. Experiencing the Boston marathon as a spectator puts a different twist on the event. I never realized how hard it is to pick someone out of the crowd of runners. I guess I’ll continue to run in costume for ease of identification. And after scanning the runners for minutes, the spectators on the side seem to be moving away from you – it’s a great optical illusion. As Doctor Dale noted, I slowed him down for a bit by running alongside him. He was acting like a camera-happy tourist rather than a race participant, taking photos along the way, and soaking it all in. He’s such a ray of sunshine. I think I have a man crush on him. Then it was back to the water stop, and a nice 6 mile run with a remarkable young woman. To be continued…

King of PhotoShop

Joe, as you know, I was pleased you did not run given your situation, but very happy that you took the family and had such a wonderful time of it. Hope next year is a healthy one for you and that we get to meet one day. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

But, but...(sputtering indignantly)...PBJ, you can't just stop right there in the middle of the story and leave us hanging like that!....... Big grin Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

seemomgo

We're waiting....tapping foot impatiently....when is the next chapter coming?????
            Glad you enjoyed your 'Boston Marathon' experience! (equally happy you decided not to race it) Thanks so much for running up Heartbreak with me, it was effortless thanks to you. (I can't believe our pictures didn't come out. I may not have turned on the camera. I had it on and thought it shut off after the pictures at the aid station, so I probably turned it off not on...sigh. My brain was mushy at that point.) Hopefully you'll get past your injuries and be back donning costumes and tearing up race courses across New England soon enough. If not, come to Hartford during the marathon and help me and others man an aid station, 'K? You're a smart and savvy runner. We need your 'voice' online here. Post more often.
              Well I can certainly relate to this report! Yes, watching is a very different experience than running. But, it was quite a lot of fun! Also, trying without much success to find particular runners as they come by is itself quite an interesting game.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

How fun it was to meet you and your wonderful family! Sure wish I'd seen you guys at the water stop Sad but it's fun to read about all the goings on... Where's the rest of the story??
                  Another great person I didn't get to meet and hope to soon. I have always loved your posts and this one didn't disappoint. I know it can't be easy to change plans after a fabulous PR and well done marathon at Hartford. I am relieved that you didn't injure yourself further at Boston and instead gave lots of others great inspiration. You ran with Holly who I adore and that made me so happy when she told me. I am planning to do the half at Hartford and maybe I'll catch a glimpse of you as you zoom by. Thanks for the great report. CNY/Karin The baked potato shuffle is more to the point and you can certainly use that!

Head Procrastinator

Woohooo the PBJster chronicles are back! Once again it was a treat to spend time with you and your lovely family. And what a treat this year, we got to hang at the aid station! PBJ Junior must have high fived half of the race course and I am still hearing cowbells. PS, It is NOT my dawg
                    ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

#artbydmcbride

It was so nice to meet you at last, PBJ. Smile

Runners run

Big grin Big grin Big grin Every day, in every way, you are getting better and better, PBJ!
                          it was great to meet you and your family PBJ - especially enjoyed my mini-conversation with long suffering as we walked to the dessert line, your darling daughters who enjoyed the cannoli's, and most definitely PBJ jr who asked as i was buttoning up his little jacket --- is this what you do all the time?? lol --- he sure is a cutie!!

denise

I know how hard it is to have to turn in a chip for a big race, but you handled it with grace and humor. It was greta to see all of you. You'll be coming back stronger than ever. PS - we all have a crush on Dr. Dale.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Part Deux – Easy to Enter, but Tough to Leave You probably know by now that I had the pleasure of running Holly in to the finish line from the Boomer aid station at mile 20. She is a remarkable runner, with such a positive spirit and energy. (Her husband Jim is a real nice guy too). It felt good that I could at least do a little to help such a terrific person. Speaking of energy, three quick items about Holly that she was too modest to admit: 1) This was her second marathon in three weeks, and she’s going to run the flying pig in another two weeks – a true maniac! To attain maniac status, you’re supposed to run 3 marathons in 3 months. She’s doing it in half the time! 2) Holly was very diligent, doing her stretches after finishing the marathon. That’s dedication. I’m lazy. I stretch about as much as Willy Wonka flosses. 3) Her lastest mile was her fastest mile. She ran mile #26 in 8:15. Proof that she will do great at the pig. Thanks for giving me the honor of running with you (although I did feel a little guilty, getting cheers when I only ran six miles). Holly rocks! Now, the rest of the story... Holly and I said our goodbyes, and I was off to find the nearest geeen line T stop. The D line would take me right back to Newton, where I would reunite with Long-Suffering and the PBJsters. I asked a BAA volunteer, and they said go to Arlington – two blocks north. Two blocks took an eternity, as I salmoned my way through the crowd. I didn’t see the stop yet, so I asked a doorman for directions. “Oh, they closed Arlington for the race, you need to go to Copley Station.” So off I go again, fighting the masses by heading west – away from the finish line. As I passed the Marriott Copley Square, I think I saw Nate, but I was too frantic to say anything. I somehow ended up in a restricted area, where I asked the gate keeper for directions. “Just a minute,” he said, “I gotta let these vehicles through the gate.” So I waited while a bus and five minivans (the official timers) passed through the gate. Then it happened – once you open a gate at the Boston marathon, the crowds want to enter. It was mayhem, as the crowd surged into the area. Finally, the gate keeper got the gate closed, and he asked “What did you want again?” “How do I get to the green line from here?” Oh, the nearest stop is Prudential Center – just head towards the Prudential building. So I did. Once inside the station, I waited patiently as an elderly couple tried to figure out how to use the blasted ticket machine. Then as I was about to purchase my fare with a sweat soaked ten dollar bill, a transit authority lady said “Just walk in, marathon runners ride for free.” Feeling a little sheepish, I walked in (and set off the alarm). As I waited another eternity (that's two) for the outbound train, I ate the bagel and sipped the water that they gave to finishers. I started to worry that the PBJsters would be ravenous when I got back. It took 20 minutes before the train came, and it wasn’t the D train, it was the E train. “Well, I guess I’ll step in, and get off at the next stop,” I thought to myself (who else do you think to?). Once aboard, and studying the T line map, it finally dawned on me that I had used a station beyond where the lines split. I would have to get off at the next stop, hop on an inbound train, then get off at a station that serviced all the green lines – yikes. That’s when I struck up a conversation with a gentleman who reminded me a lot of Spareribs. I told him of my predicament, and he said that instead I should “take the E line to the Riverway Station, take a left exiting the train, take a right on Harvard Street, and after a ten minute walk, it intersects with Commonwealth. From that point there’s lots of busses to Newton.” I thanked Spareribs’s double profusely. I got off at Riverway, took a left, and started to run. I crossed quite a few streets, but Harvard wasn’t one of them. I ran for another ten minutes, but there was no Commonwealth either. I was lost, and I’m sure that Long-Suffering was fuming by now, and I couldn't even call her (no cell phone on me). Feeling defeated, I walked into a Dunkin Donuts (there are hundreds of them in Boston), and asked a policeman who was in there “How far is it to the corner of Commonwealth and Centre Street in Newton?” “You’re a long ways away,” was his response. Then, a miracle. A guy in line getting a coffee said “I’m going right there to pick up my car from the shop. I’ll give you a ride.” And he did. His name was Ira, and he’s a psychologist. He also let me use his cellphone to call Long-Suffering. He was my angel in distress. God bless you, Ira. The PBJsters had been waiting a long time, and all of them had sunburn (we were expecting an overcast day). It was going to be a very long, silent ride home until a suggestion was made by Long-Suffering. “The kids want to go to Cracker Barrel in Sturbridge.” So we did, and all was right in the PBJ world again, thanks to some timely macaroni and cheese, cornbread and biscuits. Thanks for reading. Post script - I just measured the distance from Riverway Station to where the PBJ minivan was parked, and it’s slightly more than six miles. It would have been much faster to just run the course backwards from the finish, salmoning the runners. Next time...
                                I really enjoyed your non race report, PBJ. It's always fun to read a PBJ post. I'm sure you're disappointed about not being able to run but it sounds like you had a fantastic time with all the boomers and the Boston experience. TomS