Masters Running

TGIF Runs Aug 22 (Read 382 times)

The Jogger

Morning Gang, I shouldn't say TGIF as I've just had 4 days off and am working tomorrow. Just had a nice hilly 5.3 miler up to the Trundle, an old ancient iron age fort (not that you would know) On the site it gives a 200' climb but where I am coming at it from it is over 500' climb on the 3rd mile. Cracking views. Anyway: 5.33m 59:46 @ 11:13 AHR 152 71% Good runs All Roy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Roy, you can say TGIF for the rest of us Smile Cool run/climb! 8 mi General Aerobic (GA) in 1:05:47 (8:13 pace, AHR 153) including 2 miles with Tory at 9:20 pace then 6 miles at 7:50 pace (AHR 157). Bit cooler mid 60's. Nice run.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Good morning, everyone. Nice runs, Roy and Steve. Hills and speed -- way to go. 3 miles of recovery today for me, as is usual for Fridays. Got to sleep in until 4:30, woohoo! 3.2 miles, 29:14, 9:17/mi, AHR 129 Have a great weekend -- go racers!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mariposai

Fourth person to post, wow...this is the first for me. 5 miles at 5 under the darkness of DC ski. and.... tonight I will meet the Beers yepeee!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MP day for me today. I had to squeeze 7 miles into about an hour - couldn't get myself up any earlier - so the plan was based on the time available. Ended up with 7 miles in 1:02 (8:52). I wanna meet the Beers and Mariposa too! Cry Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all! absolutely gorgeous morning today--58F, for the 1st morning in the 50's this whole summer. It felt great, and did 4.2 miles with a couple of 100yd striders thrown in. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

I'm never certain what to do the day after a missed run. Make up the mileage and/or speed work? Ignore it and stick to the originally scheduled run? Today was a compromise. I stuck to the original 5 miler scheduled for today but stuck in a few tempo-paced miles I should have been doing yesterday. It seemed silly to do just an easy run after a day off. 5.2 miles total, with 3 @ 7:42 in IRC. Remember, 80% of success in life is just showing up. The other 20% is not dropping the baton.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning! Wow - nice run/climb this morning Roy!! Good runs for Steve, Lou, Bill, Kevin and Mariposa too. (and Tory of course!) I'm sure the stories will be great tomorrow of the meeting in DC. Scheduled rest day for me - thank goodness!! I went to a book signing last night as my 2nd cousin just got his first novel published! CBS has already picked it up to make a pilot. He told me that he also wrote an article for Runner's World that will be in the October issue about his first and only marathon experience. I have a feeling it will be a humorous read. If any of you are interested: http://www.mlive.com/books/grpress/index.ssf?/base/features-0/121886731921470.xml&coll=6 TGIF!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Scranton Wilkes –Barre Yankees 8 and Rochester Red Wings 7 It was a gorgeous evening and the kiddo caught a tee –shirt (tried to get a foul ball….no way). The guys even relented and agreed to stop (en route) at Olana, the beautiful home (Moorish architectural style and great tile work) of Frederick Church. He of the Hudson River School of painters and near the Rip Van Winkle Bridge. Two more baseball games to go and on to Rochester soon. My MIL is ailing, so we are worrying right now. Today’s run was a relaxed one---got out at 7:00 AM and ran out one direction from the hotel for 35 minutes and back for 35 minutes. I’ll call it 8 miles. Warmer here in PA, but still low humidity and clear skies. Thanks for the book link Hopeful----sounds like it will be a fun read! I love car trips like the one we are taking. I have already read two books and have a few more for the miles ahead. I read Warm Springs: Traces of a Childhood at FDR's Polio Haven by Susan Richards Shreve and I Remember Running by Darcy Wakefield (a fellow Smithie and a major tear jerker of a story). We also played the license plate game and have 36 states already and we are just 3.5 hours from home-----cool! We're going to head to Montage Mountain and try the Zip Line ride now...gotta scoot. Not sure I’ll be able to post much once we get to the in-laws place in Pittsford. Happy weekend all---good runs, resting and the like CNYrunner/Karin
                      Good morning and a happy Friday to all! Roy - sounds like a great run - nice to have a view if you're going to do a hilly run. Jeanne and Holly - thanks! The bronchitis seems to be staying the same regardless of exercise, well maybe a little worse, but it doesn't feel bad to run. I did another easy 7 this morning, and I'm taking the weekend off as far as running is concerned. Jeanne - take care of the PF. Your symptoms sound classic- seems like I remember there are some specific stretches that might help. Googling PF should bring those up. 60 degrees here this morning with low humidity, but the humidity appears to be heading back our way. 7 miles @9:41 and 154 average HR. Between the two relay teams dropping the batons and the line violations in the 200 men's race, the US didn't have a stellar night yesterday. I hope the relay teams practice passing the baton before the next races. I'm going to Vermont/New Hampshire for a biking weekend. I haven't ridden in over a year, and, of course, I waited until Monday to check out my bike. It had some major problems (associated with the less-than-satisfactory movers), and the bike repairman was kind enough to put me at the top of his worklist. I don't have "bike legs" at this point, so I'm hoping just to survive the weekend. Good runs and a good weekend to all, and speedy feet to the weekend racers!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Renee the dog

Out for 3 this morning. I was less-than motivated. Son woke up at around 1 a.m. screaming bloody murder. That lasted perhaps 1/2 hour. My husband took care of most of that, but couldn't get him settled. Finally, he fell asleep on me, while I was sitting up. I managed to fall asleep sitting up, to be greeted about 20 min later with a whispered, "Mommy, I'm wet." Yep, other child checking in. She wet the bed. So, we got up, stripped the master bed (where she had been sleeping) and started the laundry. Luckily, the kids each have queen sized beds so we split up with the kids and went to sleep. At 6 a.m., I was awakened to the lovely tones of Renee throwing up. In a corner. Where the Spot Bot won't fit. Black eye Now, Renee never throws up, my daughter never wets the bed, and my son never wakes up for any reason at night. I never bother running at this time of year if it is past 7, but I figured WHAT THE HECK? Everything else is out of whack... and I got it done. Big grin I was reminded why I wait till September to go out later (too crowded) but I managed. My race on Sunday is looking promising. I didn't post it in Ilene's thread as I was too touch and go about showing up, but it is a 10K the next island over at 8 a.m. My babysitter is now going to run it with me, and I think my dentist is going too. Should be a whole lot of fun!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Remember, 80% of success in life is just showing up. The other 20% is not dropping the baton.
                          I know, we got home from DS’s soccer scrimmage just in time to see that happen. Jeesh, those guys move FAST, though...their feet don't even look like they're touching the ground. Mary – that does seem like a fun read. {{{CNY’s MIL}}} Sue – as long as you’re watching it. I also am of the camp that tends to think easy running can be okay when you’re sick; in fact I tend to think the increased blood flow helps clear things out. However, you need to make sure you are hydrating extra-well and getting extra sleep, too. You know, whenever someone talks about PF, I always thought it was something in your foot, planter's fas-something. Now I know there's another PF.... Nono – I hope you have an afternoon nap scheduled... No run for me today – light x-training instead: incline dumbbell presses, triceps extensions, lateral raises, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, superman lifts, push-ups, crunches, wall-sits. Here’s a strange thing. When I’m running 40+ miles/week, I still have to eat pretty lightly to keep my weight down. I even went to the doctor about it last year, because it didn’t seem right (or fair, darn it) that my metabolism would be so slow in spite of all my running. I’ve noticed in the last couple of weeks as I return to running after several weeks’ break, I am STARVED (and exhausted) later in the day after a run that normally wouldn’t have that effect. But I got on the scale today and found that, even with last weekend’s overeating, I’m down a couple of lbs. So maybe when I’m running regularly, my body gets so darn efficient at it that I’m barely burning any calories from it. Perhaps this is a good argument for x-training on a regular basis, if weight control is one of your reasons for running. Erika, I remember you saying something to this effect last spring.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

Have any of the men's and women's USA relay runners ever heard of Superglue? This is absurd! Anybody remember that football movie "The Replacements"? If you did, you'll remember the scene where they put stickum on the guy's hands. They've made so many scoring changes in wrestling, they've absolutely ruined the sport...we DEFINATELY need to bring in our WWE guys. I absolutely LOVED the BMX race! They're finally making an effort to pull in the younger viewers, sorta like the winter games did when they added mogul skiing & snowboarding. I think over the years we'll see more & more of the X Games stuff incorporated in the Olympics. Of course if they really want a younger audience, we could have jacks, hopscotch, & double-dutch jumproping. Roch: Great to hear you're back in the game...keep it up. Jeanne: Sorry to hear about your "protesting" leg...I'm telling you, if we opened up an injury thread, it would be twice as long as the daily. Sarge: 8:16 5K pace...great run! Can't believe you were only 5th in AG...must have been a speedy group. Maine:
                            "a bad day of golf is better than a good day at work"
                            Yeah, but I think it was Mark Twain that said "Golf is a good walk spoiled." Carolyn: Yeah, I've had zillions of days that I was scheduled to run but didn't want to...really glad you got your miles in..you got moxie, girl. TomS: Kill 'em this week-end! Lame: 10 miles at lunch...that's fabulous! Peanut butter sandwiches at any time are always a good idea. Roy: You run the coolest routes of anyone. Breger: You anywhere near Cocoa? My BIL said they got tons of rain. Sue: Nice run...that was excellent...have a great bike week-end. Is this an organized sort of thing? NoNo: As if you didn't have enough problems! Sorry 'bout son, daughter, dog...at least you didn't flub the baton pass. Decent run for me this morning..ran an extremely hilly (7 major hills) 4.5 mile course in 41:05 (9:08). Only walked twice..a little on the 5th & 6th hills..but I ran all of the first 4 and the last one. Stayed at work until after 3 A.M. last night...think I'll relax today & watch the bball game. DickyG
                              DickyG, Believe it or not the Jamaican Women's 4x100M relay team just botched the handoff in the final. STUPID! The gold medal was never in doubt had they passed the baton. I'm in S. Fla. (FTL area). We got lots of rain too, but not as much as Central Fla. has gotten. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

There was an article in the washington post this morning, that these relay runners were always the fastest on their prospective teams, and have not had much experience with running relays. For many, the olympics is the first time they've ever tried it.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com