Masters Running

October 2014's first Daily (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Great postings yesterday with Tet training (???!), tales of bars and puritan laws, shots of beautiful birthday twins and colorful Fall foliage, and even some training reports.

I woke up early this morning, and so was on the road at 3:45. It was 55F with just a very light mist. I went 6.5 RW miles, throwing in fartleks for fun along the way. When my mind was wandering, I caught myself thinking about whether our town's zoning ordinances include the requirements of the FEMA flood zones. That's what I get for spending yesterday morning at a FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMS) conference. Get a life, Jay...

Have a greta first day of October!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Mornin' y'all!

As one who lived in Rapid City and knows many people who were personally impacted by the flood of '72 that took the lives of 234 people, your concerns are well taken, JAy.    DH, from the eastern part of South Dakota, had planned on camping in RC but he and his buddy changed their plans and went off to Colorado at the last minute.

Speaking of that part of the country, I do believe Wyoming does not (or did not when I lived in SD) even have an open container in a vehicle law, meaning it was ok to drink a beer while driving.

Strong bridge run last night with Speedsters: keeping with the eights, did 8 at 8:21 with 3 round trips on the bridge.  SO this am was 6 jogging miles at 10+ minute miles. Tapering!

grins and healthy hump day,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, Jay and Amy.  Hope everyone else has a good day running or otherwise.

8.1 miles for me at Jay o'clock + a couple.  Nothing spectacular, but a good way to start off October (already?  What happened to summer?!?   )

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

I do believe Wyoming does not (or did not when I lived in SD) even have an open container in a vehicle law, meaning it was ok to drink a beer while driving.

Just don't text with the hand that's holding the beer.  

4 slow and creaky miles for me this morning in 45 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

When we first moved to TX they did not have an open container law.  We saw people drinking beer while driving all the time. Having come from NY this was a surprise to us.  You can shoot someone on your property down here and likely it will not even go to the grand jury.  Trespassing is against the law, you know.

4.5 solo miles this morning, as the Saint works early on Wednesdays.  She is a power knitter and works part-time in a yarn store, and absolutely loves the job.  I know nothing about knitting. I always thought knit one, purl two was the final score of the knit-purl game.  Spareribs

Mornin', Gang -

In to work early so I can leave at 2:00 to go talk old people's insurance.   Will do my scheduled 5 tomorrow morning.

I've never expanded my knowledge of knitting past the scarf, but it's relaxing for me.

Shorty said he remembers when he played ball in the south that they had drive up liquor stores. "Here's your 7-Up, here's your bottle of Jack, here's a cup of ice.  Have a good day."

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...MORNIN' GUYS//.............fatozzig, I'm getting some OldPeople Insurance later today,,,,,,,,I'll use you as PlanB

=============

...but I digress............(also forgot to unlock CapsKey)

.........25-min bikeride,,,hills, highest gear so I had to fight it a little

...........35-min PoolRun, No Belt, DeepEndOnly

......HotBath

...........TENS treatment

..................YOWZA//...........sign me up for Da OldPeopleInsurance Baby..........

.........good running guys..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

. . . . .

. . . . .

I would just like to clarify that I am not the old person to whom I am referring, but my dad.  Just in case anybody was confused.

. . . . .

. . . . . .

Although I could be checking into old people insurance for The Hub.  He is, after all, 53 and total grey.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

BlazinCajun

... old people insurance ...

To make sure they stay old? 

Andrew
                    ------------------
                    God, my Lord, is my strength;
                    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                    and enables me to go upon the heights.
                    Hb 3:19

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

. . . . .

. . . . .

I would just like to clarify that I am not the old person to whom I am referring, but my dad.  Just in case anybody was confused.

. . . . .

. . . . . .

Although I could be checking into old people insurance for The Hub.  He is, after all, 53 and total grey.

And I bet you never remind him of that fact, right?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

I've been in Boca Raton FL this week, and I'm just amazed at the miles Amy turns out down here. Good grief, I find this humidity just stagnating. It makes it hard to breathe and nothing evaporates. I come in all beaded up with sweat. Bleh. 3.3 miles this morning, running on the golf course paths until the golfers started showing up. There don't seem to be any rules about golfers and runners sharing the path, but prudence would seem to dictate it's best to leave when they show up.

Good conference down here, but I'm very ready to go home. Yes, even though it's 34° and snowy/sloppy. DH sent me pictures of the deck and backyard covered in snow. I hope it warms up a bit this weekend; I still have potatoes and carrots in the garden!

Sounds like the VT crew are making a good recovery. Don't rush it guys, that was a helluva run you all had. Even Holly who "just" did the 50k. 

Did I read it right that Tet started a daily, and with a training run no less? What's happening to this place?

Awesome pictures posted here. The colors in Steve's post yesterday were awesome. Love the reds. We get mostly yellows and it's interesting to know why (but I'm not going to go into it here....).

Oh, on the open container thing... we used to have the drive up liquor stores too, back in the 70's and maybe early 80's. All gone now though. I'm always delighted to go somewhere where the beer and wine is sold on an aisle in the regular grocery store! We have to have a separate entrance for the liquor store. Used to be no open container, but that was changed a few years back on the argument that someone might feel compelled to finish a bottle of wine they paid for at dinner when they really had had enough. Allowing it to be recorked (and in the trunk) let's people not over do at dinner and take it home for later. Makes sense.

Dave59

I couldn't get a beak from work until almost 2 today and it was 85 and humid by the time I got out for a run. I went to a park with a dirt and crushed stone trail. I ran 5 but I wish I hadn't because I'm zapped now. Just have to hang on until I get Annabelle to bed.

As was leaving the park the FSU women's cross country team showed up for their afternoon workout. Glad I was done so I didn't get my doors blown off.

Mike E

MM #5615

As was leaving the park the FSU women's cross country team showed up for their afternoon workout. Glad I was done so I didn't get my doors blown off.

Ummm...I think I might have stayed...

Stumpy - Of course not!

I'm sure you would've, MikeE.

Oregon has separate liquor stores.  Only beer and wine are sold in grocery stores.  Most of the liquor stores are little cinder blocks with only one or two barred windows.  It's also very expensive in OR, so when my in-laws come to CA, they usually end up with a wish list from folks and stock up at Costco.

A number of years ago, we spent a couple of weeks in the south in the spring.  The humidity was awful and it wasn't even the worst of it.  Ugh!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

BTY

Nothing interesting about NYS when it comes to liquor Smile however it was interesting that the drinking age was 18 when I was a kid, and then they changed it to 19 when I was 18; and then they changed it to 21 when I was 19. I suppose it'll be going up to 51 soon.

I'm traveling for work today so I ran on the 2-mile perimeter loop around Monroe County Community College for 3 laps. It sure feels a lot further around the loop than 2 miles, and my legs are always sore after running here just not used to the hills, I think.   6 miles in all but again it felt like 8.