Masters Running

Wed Nov 26 Runs and Whatnot (Read 624 times)

Good morning, everyone! 5 recovery miles. Maybe I shouldn't have done this before my 5K race tomorrow. 5.1 miles, 46:46, 9:13/mi, AHR 133 I'm re-reading Pfitzinger. I haven't read the whole thing yet this time, but in reading excepts I am wondering if "general aerobic" and what I have been calling "easy" are the same thing. He seems to have "recovery", "general aerobic", "lactate threshold", "VO2 Max", "long" -- maybe I'm missing others. Hmm...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow Lou - as I struggle with getting my HR a little lower I am amazed at your 13 avg. hr!! Wink You will do great tomorrow I am sure!! Out at 5:15 with the Brink-meister. 4 miles which I tried my damndest to keep slow, therefore keeping my HR low and I bombed out again. I don't get it. The slower I went, you'd think my HR would go down and I sure didn't feel like I was working hard. But No .... 10:09 / 156 10:01 / 164 10:20 / 169 10:50 / 172 Oh well - tomorrow is another day and I plan on a longish run with my neighbor before the feast begins. I hope most people (Jlynne) and others don't leave after yesterday's discussion. We've already lost too many good people.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! No run for me today, not even any x-training….I’m resting up for tomorrow’s race, although I don't have a lot of faith in great results. I don't really know why, but I just don't feel my speed improving yet, and the cold weather doesn’t help my ability to go fast anyway. Since I haven't raced in so long, I'm not even sure what pace to set. But regardless, I know I'll give it a good effort, and it'll be a fun event. I'm thinking I'll wear my HR monitor and let that be my guide, rather than a certain pace. I'll aim at about 160, which for me is a very hard effort. I know that during 5Ks I've gotten my HR up to 177-79, and that seems to be about my almost-going-to-puke HR. Mary – I’m not going to wear my HR monitor upside down this time, though. Regular work day for me, although I;m betting my boss will leave early and I will likely spend too much time goofing off in the afternoon... Roll eyes Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wow Lou - as I struggle with getting my HR a little lower I am amazed at your 13 avg. hr!! Wink
          fixed Blush

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Lou, General Aerobic (GA) may be the same as Easy but only if by "Easy" you aren't running as easy as Recovery. The phrase I try to remember when running GA pace is where Pfitz (or perhaps it's Daniels) says GA "a pace where you're just putting in the miles at a Moderate Effort". Rest Day for me after yesterday's good Tempo run and last evening's Choir rehearsal. Can never make it up after that so I;ve been scheduling rest days after them. I'm contemplating running a local Turkey Trot here. This one has been going on for 24 years now and is a big (2500) event with a lot of local talent. I'd like to see if I can get that elusive sub-22 minute 5K. But I'm a bit afraid ofl tweaking my left hamstring. It goes away for a few weeks, but comes back some if I race or run hard. Decisions, decisions ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Regular work day for me too, 'cept Mr Nonoruns should be done at 3, so I guess I'm getting some relief!!! You know, the one thing a vbulletin forum has that this one doesn't is the ignore button, where posts, from someone-who-chafes-you, don't appear. Perhaps on the daily we can just pretend we have one anyway. Wink That way, we won't have folks keep running away from the daily. Cry I really get inspired by everyone else's posts and contributions (running and otherwise) and don't want fewer contributors. Anyway, no run for me today. Knee started bothering me last night a little, and I think it's probably runner's knee. Ironically, probably not from the running per se (NO, never could be that! Wink ) but from the box moving and up and down three flights of stairs to my attic as I absorb stuff from my parents' place into my home and also decorate for the holidays. So, I read the internet long enough to find a course of action that will work for me. I've dialed back my total mileage for this week. I found a sports med site which shows me how to tape my knee (oh well, no inappropriately short skirts for me this Thanksgiving dinner Tongue ). And, I have a series of exercises to help rebalance my quads to help put my patella closer to on-track. I know from comments from my health posse (MD/acupuncturist, massage therapist, podiatrist, chiropractor) that I have an odd patella seating anyway. So probably just crosed a line and it's letting me know. Good runs, rests and turkey prep to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hill Runner

Good morning all, A Beautiful morning here...invigorating 26F and no wind. 10.19 miles of hills @ 9:04 , I felt the endorphines kicking in around mile 9 Smile One of the most important things that I have been doing in the past 6 months is walking at least 1/2 - 3/4 miles afer every run. I am finding that my AT is bothering me less and less. Hope that also helps someone. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning Gang... Hey Erika, I finally made it to the Y last night and pool ran for the first time. I asked the lifeguard if he knew anything about it and he did. He got me hooked up with the flotation device around my belly, and gave me some tips. Pool ran for 45 minutes and it was a good workout, even though I was skeptical. And boy, this exercise really works the hips and the hammy's....sore this morning. Before the pool running, I swam laps for an hour and that went much better than expected. I hadn't swam in over a year and a half, but I still had good form and my running endurance carried me through swimming that long. 1 hour 45 minutes total workout time which felt good, but arm and shoulders are very sore too this morning...but in a good way. Another thing yesterday. I called my chiropractor and asked if he could do anything about my AT, he said maybe but didn't promise anything. I went and he did the usual yanking and pulling around my foot and leg, and adjusted my pelvis and back. He also ran some machine thingy (forgot what it was called) that put out shock waves and heat that is suppose to promote healing. He said my foot would prolly feel a little worse after the treatment, then better the next couple of days. Well, this morning was the first time like for ever that my first steps out of bed were pain free, and I actually forgot about my AT. But regardless of anything, I am still not running till at least Jan 1st. Hey Mary, guess I have my mojo back Smile Jlynne, PLEASE don't leave....you are loved and respected greatly around here ya know!!! Hey Twocat, thanks for everything. You have given me some great information on getting over my AT...the smart way Smile Hope everyone has a GREAT DAY, whether running or not. Woo Hoo....Ball State Football team 12 and 0, and ranked 15 in the Country. Hey, that's a big deal here. Not too many years ago, they had the longest losing streak in the Country. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

well I've solved that whole HR thing. I can't find my chest strap. so simple! I can beat that 13 any day. Lou, I was reading pfitzinger while ellipticalling this morning. there was something in there I was going to ask you all about. will do that later. I remember I used to take the % of MHR & % of HRR for each type of run from Daniels & Pfitzinger & write them side by side, to try to figure out the terms they use. close but not the same. morning! Nono, good luck with your knee. Peter, thanks for the walking comment. I do it, but sometimes feel I'm wasting time. It's good to hear you notice a difference. w/u c/d walk, about a mile. 4.01 mile run, 9:33 average pace, 7:03 max. ahr, 0, mhr 0. so there. since I skipped intervals due to yesterday's hamstring pain, I threw in just 3 little striders, not polar tracked. I was tired today but it wasn't a bad run. The miles were 10:03, 9:28, 9:21, 9:10. 22 min. on the elliptical, then rows, pushups & pullups, reverse crunches, SR hammie curls, side planks (my favorite) & russian twists. the end. Wink oh, i'm late. a peaceful day to everyone.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Ball State played against my daughter's college last night. I had heard they didn't stand much of a chance .. Nice workout TimBO!! So happy to read that your foot was pain free this morning too. Dg - you are having some great workouts too lately. Getting ready to run a 1/2 with me this year - or the Riverbank 25K this spring???? Maybe a picture of my doggies will bring Jlynne back this morning. They were having a greta time playing 3-way tug of war. The growling was so loud we couldn't hear the TV. B'Nellie - Huntley - Hailey

~Mary

~unknown

DG. wrote "Thanks for the walking comment. I do it, but sometimes feel I'm wasting time."
                        Oh good lord no. Walking after a run is not wasted time. It is recovery time. I never mentioned it before because I guess I assumed everyone walked after. I always walk after my runs - longer after hard efforts, shorter after recovery runs. But I always walk some. It is amazing how good the legs feel after a short walk - even when they felt awful just a few minutes earlier. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Yay Tim!! Mary - cute! I admit that, like Dg, I rarely walk after my run because I'm pressed for time in the mornings, although that last block up the hill to my house is often at a pace that's almost a crawl (or stagger). But I HAVE been making time to spend 5 minutes stretching after each run, which I'm beginning to believe might be vitally important for injury prevention.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prince of Fatness

I rarely walk after my run because I'm pressed for time in the mornings, although that last block up the hill to my house is often at a pace that's almost a crawl (or stagger). But I HAVE been making time to spend 5 minutes stretching after each run, which I'm beginning to believe might be vitally important for injury prevention.
                            Here I go posting on the daily again. I agree with this 100%. The lower leg issues that I have been having are due to lack of flexibility. I went to PT yesterday and am sore from all of the stretching. I am pretty good about warm up and cool down, but stretching seems to be the first thing that is dropped when I'm pressed for time. Who needs that right? I think that as we get older we lose some flexibility, so I will be paying more attention to that going forward.

Not at it at all. 

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I always try to finish my run at the beginning of our little road - that way I get about a .25 walk to the house. Not a lot but it does help I think. I confess to very rarely stretching and have very little in the way of flexibility. Something maybe I should work on huh?

~Mary

~unknown

I always walk after my runs...at least a half a mile,just as a cooldown... 8 miles...8:05 pace avg. 9:04 8:31 8:05 8:03 7:53 7:47 7:43 7:28 Felt great the whole time...
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip