Masters Running

...just a quick race report - Portland (the Oregon kind) (Read 353 times)

I have not been a good poster lately, so I don't feel quite right about taking up a whole topic for my race report. I'll try to keep it short. I have not had the best training season this time. I never really picked up any speed, and felt overly tired with about 6 weeks to go. Some serious mileage cutback helped, and I did manage to get in 5 long runs of 18 miles or better. Still, I decided that attempting a BQ this time around would probably be futile (not to mention miserable), and as I'm still qualified from Hartford last year, there was really no need. Given the background, I decided on a goal of 4:15. I lined up with the 4:15 pace group at the start, and our own Mariposa found me for quick hugs and "good lucks". I liked knowing that she was nearby during the race, and we high-fived at one of the places where the course double-backed on itself. (I also saw WRFB coming the other way and we got to exchange little endearments, which earned him some ribbing from the guys he was running with. Phooey on them!) I found it rather nice to hang with the pacer. I hardly looked at my watch or pace band, and just motored along knowing that he was in charge of the pace. There were a couple pretty serious hills, but in between it was blessedly flat. The group was nice and stayed upbeat. The 9-mile point was a bit of a milestone, as it marked where I fell apart at Boston. Whew - I guess my struggles there really were because I was sick, and not because I had gotten permanently slow. There was a hill at mile 11, and that passed without incident too. Then a big big uphill between 16 and 17.5. With that out of the way, I felt another wave of relief. At about mile 22 there was a long gradual downhill, and I decided to leave the group behind and fly down the hill. I'm much better at downhills than up, and I knew that there was one more slight uphill at 24-25 miles. I wanted to get a bit of time in the bank, just in case I bonked. But I felt strong all the rest of the way to the finish, and for the first time in a long while I was actually passing people at the end and feeling good. Proper pacing is everything, folks, and I think I selected a challenging but realistic goal for this race. 4:13:15 First half 2:06:10 Second half: 2:07:05 41 of 354 in age/gender division 858/3901 women 2740/7488 overall My favorite character during the race was the guy dressed all in pink with a tutu and a sign on his back that read "I lost the bet". We had a nice post-race lunch and beers at Rogue brewpub with rasmussenmp and his very nice wife. He ran a fantastic marathon and she did the 5-mile race. It was fun to celebrate with them, and I hope we cross paths again sometime.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

PDR, I had to be nice to Lou and pretend that I cared about his race result, but this time I don't have to pretend. You are the Bomb and I'm glad you are happy with your race. Smile The marathon is a long way to run, and we all have read many reports from people who suffered through the experience. Someday I may try another marathon, but I hope not, because a year and a half after my first one, I am still getting over it. Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
        Smart plan + smart execution = success and and a fun time. That's what I would expect from a smart lady like you. Nicely done PDR! [sweet that you conquered some demons too.]
        wildchild

Carolyn

Woo hoo! You beat your goal time, and ran a great race! And please don't apologize for taking up a "whole topic" - we all love RRs and have been looking forward to yours!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Well done PDR!!! I spoke with Nancy earlier so heard that you ran a smart and strong race, but loved reading your report. The guy that lost the bet . .. . that's hiliarious! I'm glad you felt strong at the end, sounds like you had the perfect strategy for you - hang wtih the pace group and then give it a little more at the end. Very very nice PDR!

Tammy

Yay!!! Attagirl, PDR! Nice job conquering Portland, but sheesh, do you have to look so chic & fresh at mile 21? You make the rest of us mortals look like, well, the struggling masses. I'm glad I spotted you at the last second -- that was a bit of a crowd you were pacing with. Guess what -- the guy in the pink tutu had terrible cramps and was doubled over in pain by the time he got to our point....probably finishing in over 5 hours. Sad

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

glad you had such perfect memories of maybe the best marathon in the PNW. Might be some more tutu sightings if you can come back in November sometime, . . . or become a marathon maniac next weekend in Victoria.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

we all love RRs and have been looking forward to yours!
                  The entire event sounds like a greta time....except for maybe the dude in the tutu......I'm willing to bet he really won the bet and is in denial.

SteveP

Nice marathon, PDR. You met up with friends, beat your goal, and make it sound like you just cruised through the course. Congratulations. TomS

Renee the dog

A well-managed race is something to cherish. Congratulations!!!! I'm so glad you did post a report. Thanks!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Prince of Fatness

Looks like you ran a nearly even split .... very nice pacing. Congratulations.

Not at it at all. 

coastwalker

Hi PDR, Few things are better than a well-planned and well-run race, finishing strong, and coming in nicely ahead of goal time. Congratulations on smart planning and excellent execution (and a nice RR too)! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

As some of the others have said, you had a good plan and executed it perfectly. And the preparation, that's the key. Your training put you where you wanted to be. Nicely done!
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              Way to go PDR! Those AG, gender, and Overall numbers are really impressive. Really glad you enjoyed this one! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

#artbydmcbride

Awesome racing predawnrunner! Smile You make that hill at mile 17 sound so easy. Wow!

Runners run