Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 6.12.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Mariposai, I'm very glad that your evening running group is working so well together. Given who their leader is, I'm not surprised.

Lamerunner, I'm glad you took the time to spend some time with a friend on your run; time with friends is always time well spent. Our chipmunks definitely chirp! When we don't hear them during the summer, we know there is a hawk in the neighborhood and the chipmunks have gone into hiding.

Wry observation by Hudson, Ribs. I did just the opposite of you yesterday - I started our walking, and didn't do any running.

I'm glad you got some extra sleep, Leslie. And I hope your blueberries get happy again - they taste better when they're happy!

Great photo, Tammy. Congrats to David for all his awards and the scholarship!

Nice run, Holly. I hope things are starting off well with your MIL.

You just 'happened' to finish your run at the bagel store, Henry? Wise plan!

Good luck with the sore calf, Craneium.

Thanks for the entertainment, TW.

Happy Anniversary, Dave. Sounds like you cleaned up real nice for the occasion.

Yep, LaT - Minnie (the moocher cat) expects to be fed at 4am. If I'm late, she often comes to remind me of the time.

Wise move to use the TM and avoid the lightning, Tselbes.

Good point on investment contests, TwoCat. And congrats on closing on DW's aunt's house.

Nice Tri, Starr! I'm curious about the 'electric shifters' on your bike. Very nice landscaping too.

I'm glad your Dad is OK, but that is awful news about your car, Leslie. Just what you need (not that anyone ever needs a major car repair...).

Sounds like a great run with an impressive woman, Mike.

Glad you got your run in, Irishguy. Some people consider mall walking to be a workout, so maybe DW was doing you a favor.

Nice RHFW, Evanflein. Sometimes it's good to plan and train for a marathon. Maybe you can cobble something together that won't take the fun out of your runs.

I had no motivation to head out for a workout this morning. And I did have some motivation to get some extra zzzs. So I slept in a little, and then spent some nice quiet time with a cup a' coffee and a book.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mornin' everyone!

Nice Tri, Starr! I'm curious about the 'electric shifters' on your bike. Very nice landscaping too.

Jay - the shifters are Shimano Ultegra Di2. Basically, they have a battery and shift immediately, no grind of gears to get from one gear to the next. The front one adjusts to coincide with the rear one. I think it is awesome!

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/news_and_info/news/shimano_ultegra_brings.html

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Aamos, great questions the other day, I am just getting back to them.

1. I usually run right after work so no need to eat anything then. If I do a "long run" then will have a protein shake or bar since that is about all I have been eating for 3 months. If I run in the am, then I just go out the door without any food or coffee.

2. I lost my 301 that I had since 2005. Bought a Garmin 910xt and like it, though it was kinday spendy but not as much as that dog kennel that MrStarr bought.  I still need to figure out the triathlon part of it, but it has a quick clip for the bike, foot pod and auto sync with my computer. That is nice.

3. I don't listen to talk shows, but don't find this funny at all.  However, these clips are true but hilarious! The "Deer Lady" goes on and on about the placement of deer crossing signs.  Too funny!

http://youtu.be/RFCrJleggrI

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice Tri, Starr!

Dear Starr -

unless you were on a swim team or something when you were growing up, you have a lot of guts to take on a triathlon.  Growing up in the non-swimming pool era and next to cold, non-swimmable ocean, my adult attempts to learn the racing crawl have never produced anything faster than side-stroking and I've been DGL (dead glorious last) in the swim leg many times.

However, still being able to run, or some semblance thereof,  when I'm tired allows passing hundreds of fast swimmers in the finale run leg, to say nothing of the fitness benefits of an enjoyable cross-training.  It doesn't sound like you are one but "Lousy swimmers unite" and go TRI!

ps - jay thanks for taking the time you do probably out of time you don't have to give our days such a bright start.  When are you coming out to the PNW?  Seattle?  thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for the awesome start to the day (agree with Tet) coastwalker! It's especially useful for an intermittent poster like me. Busy times, but I think of you all daily!

Ran 9.5 miles in far less humid air this morning. Hurray. I was in DC yesterday for work and yowsa....the air was thick enough to slice.

Amy's questions are great ones. I drink coffee before morning runs and sometimes will eat a banana as well, but that's it. I usually run in the mornings, but if I have an evening run on tap, I try to eat lightly and hydrate well. I don't use a GPS watch so I am of no use there. I also don't run with music or radio---I like the sounds of nature and run lots of solo miles and it seems dangerous to run with music then. I used to run while listening to Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me or the Moth Story Hour.

Glad your father is okay fatozzig, yikes.

Enjoy the day all.

Fletch

Good morning, all.

A quick, fly-by post as I clear up some paperwork before heading out to the golf course.  4 easy miles through the neighborhood this morning.

Happy Anniversary, Dave.  Thought you may like to hear...today is DW and my anniversary.  When she asked what we had planned, I told her "I put on clean underwear - Dave says that's the least I can do."  She politely "suggested" that I may want to come up with something additional for the occassion.  I think I'll take her suggestion.

Happy days!

lamerunner

Good morning. Thanks to Jay for the great start, and please send over the hawk!

I got out a few minutes earlier today and headed over to the rail trail for 8 trail miles. Nice and quiet over there, cloudy with a very light shower toward the end. Nice run.  My body likes the softer surface these days, whenever I can get it. The Rockingham rail trail, Manchester end of it, is only about 8 minute drive.  I used to do combined road/trail runs the last couple of times I trained for marathons-- it is 6 miles or so to the start of the rail trail from our house, by road.  There are various fire roads and bike trails, really a whole network of snowmobile/mtn bike trails, which go off from the rail trail at various points starting a couple of miles out.  Someone really should put on a 50k or something out there!

Congratulations to David, very impressive student and athlete!  Nice triathlon for Starr; it takes soem motivation to get all that done alone, and after work too!

Happy Thursday! DS last day of classes, then finals start tomorrow.  We are planning to hike up to see DD this Sunday and do a father's day brunch at the backcountry cabin where she is caretaker.

Jay - another appreciation for your lovely thread starters - like a good dance partner, you keep us safe and looking good

Got out for a morning romp with LW - he isn't always that into it as he would rather play frisbee, but he is a good sport.

Steve P - how is Tag warming up to the new niece? Better I hope?

Thank you all for making me feel welcome when I stop by to say "hey"

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

like a good dance partner, you keep us safe and looking good

+1 ! And I always love it when you post La T, since I get to come along with you in your avatar photo....always makes me grin. 

King of PhotoShop

Hi LaT!  Miss you!

Well done on the tri, Starr.

I'm sorry Leslie. Hope your dad is okay.

Twocat, I completely agree.  I know nothing about how they "score" this project, but I do know it lasts from this week through the upcoming fall semester and the kids have to submit reports on progress and get feedback from professors.  So I suspect that the learning objectives will be met through this kind of interchange. I'll find out more tomorrow. Great point you made.

I've moved to all running, without the pre-run walking bit or the walking after the run, so today and yesterday were 5 mile runs.  Happy with that.  My final two miles today were at 10:10 pace.  Did a core workout at the Y afterwards. Now it's conference calls all day.

Spareribs

Count me in as another one who greatly appreciates Jay's recaps each day.  You add such great commentary.

I don't listen to much music when I run, but I do listen to a lot of podcasts.  I very rarely listen to anything when I'm participating in a race, unless I am severely lacking motivation and need a pick me up, then I might listen to some upbeat music.

Fletch -

30 min of core/ST last night, and 8 miles this a.m., that were probably a bit too speedy, especially considering my HR alarm kept going off.  I finally got irritated and turned off the alarm.

Made my dad ice his shoulder a couple of times last night, even though he said it didn't hurt.  Nothing ever really hurts until a day or two  later, and since it was my car that got smashed up, he pretty much had to do what I said.   The unfortunate thing is his car is still in the shop, which is why he's still staying with us and has been using my car during day, and last he heard the repairs for his car were going to be around $2500 (don't ask.  that's a whole 'nother story for which i might seek the wisdom of our seasoned folks).  Now we gotta find out what his insurance deductible is for this accident to figure out how much we might need to pitch in, even though he'll pitch a fit if we try.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Fletch - You must have a high-maintenance spouse if putting on clean underwear wasn't enough. 

I decided to take the day of any running or workouts. The plan was to take tomorrow off work and run long but now I have a couple meetings I shouldn't miss so I don't know what I will do. We are interviewing people I will have to help oversee, so I want to hear who they might be.

Cindy and I went to Famous Dave's last night for dinner. We were both in the mood for BBQ (like we had when we lived in Houston) and this is the closest we have around here. Cindy had brisket and I had ribs and something called brisket ends. Those were really good.

I couldn't see the TV over by the bar, but you could hear it beeping an emergency broadcast message. The waiter came by and said there was a tornado warning but he didn't seem overly concerned so it must not have been in the immediate area. It sure rained hard though.

We stopped for DQ Blizzards on the way home and then watched the latest episode of Fargo. We are an exciting couple! (Fargo is the weirdest, best show I have seen in a while.)

StarrRuns wow busy day yesterday!  Work, run a triathlon then dinner for company!

fatozzig maybe your dad should start thinking about a bike.  Plus a bike helmet.  Maybe some football like padding . . . I am glad his latest mishap was personally minor even if the car seems quite a bit worse for wear.

Mike E cute story from yesterday.  At first I thought you would end up saying you did 10 instead of 6 because you just ran so fast the space-time continuum gave you an extra 4 miles!  

irisguy congratulations on the speed work post mall walk!  If your wife thinks it is a good idea to drag you to a mall you are a way nicer guy than I am!

evanflein that training plan thing . . . it is just such a hassle!  Who needs it!  I really got to put one together too . . .   My race will likely be October, still July 1 is about the time for me to start up.

coastwalker wow a book!  Reading for entertainment!  I have heard rumors of such.  Where are these books for entertainment found?  When I retire I plan to never read another academic article again!  Then again my DW says I will retire the day after I die, so I may yet keep that vow!

tetsujin209 it is sort of a long walk, even race walk from the north east to Seattle.  I think it may take coastwalker some time to get there.  Maybe if he changed his handle to coastflyer or even coastdriver or perhaps coasttrain rider or  . . . 

CNYrunner not to worry, the last few days the air has been thick as soup all up and down the north east.  You did not miss anything sunny and dry up north.    Really, after this past winter nature owes us, owes us you hear(!) a really, really good summer!  Where is that weather we are owed!  

Fletch_NC congratulations on your anniversary!  Most of all thanks for reminding me I have to come up with something for my anniversary which is coming soon!  If you come up with something, ah, hmm, er, ah, different than clean underwear let me know!

lamerunner when you start saying things like "hike up to see DD" my first thought is, "I wonder if that is literally?"  I mean if it is under say 500 miles, I do not know, it could be . . . 

La Tortuga I suspect LW is just happy to hang with you, truth be told.

Spareribs congratulations on your all running jaunt!  Sympathies on the conference call part.

Dave59 mmm, burnt ends, mmm.  If you have any left over please ship to Twocat at . . .

Another day of no running for me.  Just the elliptical and some time in the gym.  Sigh.  This better mean I feel like superman on Saturday!  I am going to try out a new chicken marinade recipe today and a flank steak one for tomorrow.  The chicken one is a "fajita" marinade and the steak a red wine based one.  News tomorrow on how they turn out.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks for the recaps - you guys are awesome!!

The vertigo was only slightly annoying today -- a huge improvement since Monday and Tuesday.  I felt almost myself most of the day and was able to drive up to Maine, settle in the camper then head out for a solid 9.2 mile run.  Felt great!!  Hope it continues!!!  I'm off work now until next THursday and barring any complications at home or with the vertigo I plan on staying here at my happy place even if I am alone the whole time!!

Hubby has guy plans all weekend and since it's Father's Day it's his choice -- I'm ok with that and know some of our campground friends will be around for the weekend.  I might even get daring and attempt a bike ride tomorrow if the spins stay away!!

Happy Thursday friends!!

denise

evanflein

Twocat is so chatty on non-running days!  Smile

Ok, I give... what are brisket burnt ends?  Dave, don't sell yourself short. DH and I sit out in the sun in the driveway on a couple of lawn chairs and read the paper. Now that's a fun evening!

You'd think June was a popular wedding month or something... Our 25th is coming up this month, too!

Love to see LaT posting. I think that was one of the biggest bummers of not going to Boston this year: I missed all my east coast frens! (Hi Deez!)

Leslie, the car would be covered under your insurance, I believe, regardless of who was driving. Check your coverage.

Got out earlier this afternoon and ran 5.6 easy miles in the sunshine! Not overly warm, but I still got pretty sweaty. This has been one of the coolest Junes I can remember, we even had frost in lower-lying areas this morning! Nice to have the sunshine even with the persistent breeze. But I got a blister on the bottom of my foot, right on the arch behind the ball of my foot. Can't figure out what the heck was rubbing it. I like these Brooks PureFlow 2 shoes, and haven't had a problem until now. Started feeling it yesterday about half way thru my 10 mile run, but no blister when I checked it. Today I could start feeling it around mile 2 and it just got worse. Yep, big ol' blister about the diameter of a nickle. Can't find anything that would've caused it. Weird. Time to wear my other shoes for awhile, I guess.