Masters Running

Friday Daily (10/2) - what’s the farthest you’ve ever regular walked for fitness? (Read 39 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Until walking became the norm for my recent marathons, even going back to Boy Scout days, my longest walks were hikes of five or ten miles but it’s been so long I can’t really remember but running was for running and walking was anathema only done in the course of something else, certainly not instead of running, though..
    I remedied that this week when an early finale to this trip’s on-going project forced a decision on whether ot not to pay a $400 change fee and forfeit the remaining five days of the nationwide JR Rail Pass or follow-up on the bliss of last week’s five-day holiday weekend for "seasoned-folks'" Day (thanks zigs) that resulted in doing whatever my heart desired all by myself for the first time since more carefree college daysl
    The result:  a three-day, 90 km hike all by myself.

The rest of the story: since it was a rare chance of free time to myself again that I’m starting to kind of like, I chose the longest of the 88 legs of the 1,400km Shikoku Henro Pilgrimage that’s been going on since the 800's between 88 Shinto Shrines around the perimeter of the island.  I’d run 100K in 15 hours before so figured the 90K between Iwamoto-ji Shrine (no. 37) and KongoFuku-ji Shrine (no. 38) might take 24 straight hours of non-stop walking as I’d already experienced in several all-night ultras.  Think again!  It took three days of steady walking for 14 hours for two days and 10 hours the third day with two nights under the stars in between.  
    I’ve undertaken plenty of challenges that I wasn’t sure I could do but this was one of the first times it turned out that something I figured was going to be easy in the first place became extremely doubtful as the enormity of the task revealed itself over the miles.  Three half-hour each naps per day on concrete steps or local rice fields along the way became the essential norm to be able to keep going. 
    I expected so see hundreds of other trekkers but, apparently it’s such a long, hard, and dangerous route, I only saw six.  Dozens of pilgrim-loaded buses passed throughout the days, though. One account described the highways along the route as “narrow, without any shoulders to speak of, and extremely dangerous going down the short, sharp curves” and the writer wasn’t even walking; he did it in a bus!  It was so scary that I was truly fearful for my life on the sometimes non-existent shoulders having to stand sideways when busses and trucks roared by.  It took 35 minutes to ease my way carefully along the sides of a one-mile long tunnel on the last day when I was very, very tired.
    However, it was a good as it gets at the finish of a marathon though when, about 5K from KongoFuku-ji, a little girl stuck her head out of their passing family mini-van and shouted, “ganbare henro-san.”  No wonder I like walking so much.

ps - I bet Mari's Wonderland Trail of nearly 100 miles is the most of any of us.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

moebo

Tetsujin, that is a fascinating story. I am in awe. And I have so many questions!

How did you choose that particular leg of the pilgrimage?

Since you weren't prepared for this trek to last several days, what did you do about food and water?

What did you wear?

What was the weather like?

How do you feel now?

To answer your question, I think 20 miles is about the longest I have ever walked. But I sometimes think I might want to do a longer trek. Who knows, if I ever give up running I might look for a pilgrimage of my own.

Aamos, I think your question was a good one, even here on a running board. I am not sure what my answer would be, but your post moved the issue to the forefront of my mind, and I appreciate that.

Leslie, I agree that the school shootings are incomprehensible and intolerable. We desperately need to find a way to stop these kinds of events from happening.

Holly, that job offer must have been a nice pick-me-up after your tough week! Congratulations.

Wild, it's the New Hampshire Marathon that I'm doing. I'll be leaving work early today to get there in time for packet pick-up. I am excited!

Good day, all. Ganbare!

Marathon Maniac #957

tet, that sounds like an amazing journey!  I wish I could have done it with you.  Ever since I saw "The Way" I have yearned for a walking pilgrimage.  But 90 km in 3 days - that is a tough walk!  The farthest I have walked was 28.8 race-walking miles with my friend Carissa a couple weeks ago at the end of her 100 miles, and I was stiff for days afterward.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

tetsujin209 I am pretty sure I am nowhere close to what you walked!  Nowhere!!

No run for me today.  Tomorrow?  I am keeping my fingers crossed!  In the meantime two more squash recipes!  Both for butternut squash.  The first is hardly a recipe, but makes some great eats!

Butternut squash fries:  Preheat an oven to 425.  Peel and seed a butternut squash. Cut into french fry shapes.  Not matchstick like in a fast food joint.  Think four such fries in a block.  Dump into a bowl, toss in some salt a little pepper and some olive oil.  Toss on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes.  Stirr or better flip the squash.  Roast for another 10 to 15 minutes.  Watch the squash, you want it to brown up a bit and the bottom will brown (burn) before the rest.  Pull out of the oven and eat!  No ketchup, mustard or other such needed.  Some people like to sprinkle on a bit of sweet paprika before baking.

Butternut squash hummus:  The best butternut squash hummus recipe I have ever found, and I have tried a whole bunch!  http://snackinginthekitchen.com/2012/10/22/roasted-butternut-squash-hummus-with-pomegranate-seeds-and-wasa-crispbread/

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  I was thinking of "The Way" as well,  Holly.  DH said he'd like to do something like that, so it's something we talk about from time to time.  I can't think of any really long walk; when I started at BU, I used to take long walks on Saturdays or Sundays all over Boston that would last all day, but never checked distance.

So just over 55 miles, which would be about 20 hours if you walked about 20 minute miles w/out any breaks, but who does that?  And given the conditions (no shoulder, tet, don't DO that again!), you couldn't.

Here's an idea: let's have a RA meet up for a long walking trek.  We promise not to talk to you for whatever parts you would specify so you could enjoy the solitude, but we'd have checkpoints every so many kms or miles, ok?    And let's select someplace scenic with a clear path.

The concept is certainly appealing, I can see why you chose to do it.

But did you mean physical or mental fitness?

Thanks moebo!   I've been thinking about how I'd feel if a marathon I was in was disrupted...and how much I think I "know" about racism.  Reminds me of the somewhat debated brown eyes/blue eyes study, you can read about here: Racism   Say, and good luck with the marathon.  Looks as if Joaquin is headed away from the coast, so I hope the weekend's races will be fine and uneventful.

Running at sunset last night (yup, the bridge) and sunrise this am.  I will stop whining about slowing down, and just say that perhaps I'm getting stronger.  Lovely swirly clouds this am.  Our humidity is predicted to go down this weekend, so we're all quite delighted.  A 5K Saturday, featuring a meetup with a South Dakotan who has moved here (smart lady).  She's a friend of a former colleague.

The Weeknd!  and the Weekend, too.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Inspiring post,Tetsujin. Did you take any pictures?. My longest hike was 110 miles in 9 day while hiking  the Wonderland Trail which covers the base of Mt. Rainer.

Good morning and good Friday to all.

A running date tonight!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Forgot to add:  YAY, one of my favoritest couples coming to GASPARILLA!!!!!  C'mon, who's next????

Sayhey Holly,  2 weeks sounds about right, no?  And congrats!

And Leslie, just for you, and your celebration, The Oatmeal chiming in on "minor differences:"   Seats: Minor Differences  

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, Amy, summer will be officially over in three days.  And the official "Wait until next year" vigil begins.

My boat rescue mission last night was successful.  Turned out to be a worthwhile trip, as the boat had refilled and was sitting on the bottom again.  So the boat is floating happily and the motor is safely away for the winter.  I get no running out of the deal but there was some upper body work with 5 gallon bucket and hand pump.

Nice walk, Tet.  I did a 20 mile charity walk back in the dim history of my youth, but nothing more major than lake laps with Max the dog since then.

Holly--my DW loves the oportunity to be in a hotel room by herself.  She says it's about the only chance she gets to have everything the way she likes it and nobody to screw it up.  Not that I would be guilty of that.

Moebo--enjoy your race.  Temps look good (at least to my mind), but wind and possiblity of rain aren't ideal.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

I think I walked about 49 miles of that dang 50 miler I did last year.

I think I walked about 49 miles of that dang 50 miler I did last year.

...I love it.......

actually

I just hit 60-min cane walk with 2-lb hand weights today,

this will be my ''Regular'' distance

and

the hand weights will increase

=================

.........as I was going out today 60-degrees

and pouring rain again......

Ironically

I asked myself,

did I want to be outside getting wet and cold OR go to an indoor walking track??

I answered

myself by thinking

''would tet rather run BareFoot or in 4-inch Stiletto Heels??''

'Nuff Said

............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

.........as I was going out today 60-degrees

and pouring rain again......

Ironically

I asked myself,

did I want to be outside getting wet and cold OR go to an indoor walking track??

I answered

myself by thinking

''would tet rather run BareFoot or in 4-inch Stiletto Heels??''

'Nuff Said

............good running guys

Tet - You amaze me.  What an incredible adventure.  I have the same questions Moebo has.  Between you, TomW, TSelbs, Ribs . . . I am constantly awed by the seasoned folks.

Re the Portland Marathon - Enjoy!  The announcers are friends of mine who have been doing the announcing for the last 5-6 years (longer?).  The first (or second year) they were doing the announcing, the recorded Pledge of Allegiance wouldn't play, so one of them started singing and got the crowd to sing as well and now it's tradition for the crowd to sing it.  One of these years I'd love to go up and be part of the announcing crew.

Thank you for the comments regarding my pops.  Yesterday was a rough day for me.  No particular reason - just hit me from out of the blue.

Enke - I got an email from Subaru and I've ordered my stickers!  Woot woot!

No exercising for me today.  Got up, fed the cats, felt kinda poopy, went back to bed.  I felt much better when I got back up 2 hrs later.

Have a wonderful weekend ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tet - I'm signed up for the fishes race.  Not feeling ready, but I always say that.  Weather should be perfect - low 50s, no rain.

I guess I have never done a long walk.  Very impressive, Ironman!

I would be interested in a 5 day backpacking trip though, with lots of walking/hiking.

4.4 miles....slow... in the dark and fog.  DS took a different route to school this morning, likely trying to avoid me!

My boss gave me a squash from her garden.  I don't recall the name of it, but it is orangy-yellow and looks like a little inside-out umbrella.  Scalped edges.  I will saute it in butter.

I picked up a sugar pumpkin to start some pies this weekend, as demanded by DD.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

I'm so experienced at that!  Hoping they trade chubby and whiney.

Well, Amy, summer will be officially over in three days.  And the official "Wait until next year" vigil begins.

enkephalin you may have a delicata squash on your hands.  This is a chicken and squash recipe I plan to try out tonight with an acorn squash since delicata's are not in my local stores:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sheet-pan-cumin-chicken-thighs-with-squash-fennel-and-grapes-56390000.  From the looks of it, the prep and cooking time are nice and short!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

It's a patty pan squash!  Cute they are.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."