Masters Running

Running a Race Using a Family Members Bib? (Read 19 times)

MM #7877

Here's the details:

1. I signed up for marathon.

2. Because I was uncertain how I would recover from health issues, I officially xfer'd the entry to my 24 year old son.

3. My son now can not run that marathon, he has to work and cant get out of it.

4. I'm strong enough now to run this marathon.

Technically I would be running under his bib; but it is a family member, and I did pay for it.

Should I go for it? Or do I obey the rules and not run under someone else's bib?

Philippians 4:13.

coastwalker

Hi IBUB,

It is NEVER a good idea to run a race with another person's bib, no matter who they are! #1, you could completely screw up the results if you are faster than that person. There have been cases when a runner with another person's bib won an age group that the original registrant would not have won. There is no way to know how/if this may happen. #2, and perhaps more important, if you are injured and unconscious, medical personnel will not know who you are, what other medical issues you may have, or who to contact on your behalf.

Contact the race director, explain the situation, and ask for permission to transfer the bib to you. Many races permit such transfers as long as they can make the appropriate changes in their registration database. In our races, if someone wears another person's bib without permission, they are automatically disqualified.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BlazinCajun

Are, you can just run with it but do not go through the timing chute - enjoy!!

Andrew
        ------------------
        God, my Lord, is my strength;
        he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
        and enables me to go upon the heights.
        Hb 3:19

MM #7877

Are, you can just run with it but do not go through the timing chute - enjoy!!

Interesting observation - I wouldnt mess up the top 25% or more of runners in that group, I anticipate a 3:45 marathon - but, if I did run it, I could remove the racing chip from the back of the bib. I could also walk off the course at mile 25 which is really close to my hotel and be satisfied with a long training run.

But, yes I do understand the injury concerns and need to properly identify runners. My health matters were all eating disorder related. My weight and strength is back up. But there is certainly a risk that a health matter could pop up in a marathon.

Thanks for feedback.

Philippians 4:13.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It wasn't a bib switch, but I"m still famous for a 10K in March 1979 when I was still skiing and one of the faster runners didn't want to be associated with anything over a 40minute 10K to open the running season so, unbeknowst to me, he DOR'ed under my name, little realizing that, when the results were published in the small town local paper, his pathetically slow 40 minute 10K  would have everyone complimenting me on how fast I'd gotten over the winter.  I cleared that up at the first race in which I got.. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)