Masters Running

Monday February 9, 2015 Runs and Whatnot (Read 33 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

DD's basketball team lost in their first tournament game this weekend, so the season is officially over.  I can't say I'm not ready for it to end, since they started in November, and it was a tough season, with very few wins.  (sigh)  Oh well, they can't ALL be good seasons.  Thursday is the parent meeting for softball, so our break will be short-lived (assuming DD makes the team).

No run for me today, just 15 minutes of core and strength.

Only 3 more weeks till March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Guess who just called with a dead car...a mechanic I am not.

evanflein

Wow, where is everyone?

Mike, I'm sure you have many other qualities that offset the lack of mechanic skills. At least you got him out of the intersection, right?

Holly, your DD is sure into everything. I remember when DS2 wanted to go out for hockey and football as well as basketball and soccer. Whew... glad that didn't work out like he wanted. He did basketball for a couple of years in middle school/freshman but focused on soccer until senior year.

After so much time on the treadmill, that hilly run yesterday left me with sore legs! Wow, haven't felt that in awhile. Probably good for me, actually. And, I'm happy to report a gradual warming trend this week and we could be above zero by Wednesday and low 20's by the weekend! Yay! I am so excited about this you would not believe....!

Sayhey! MM#130

HIya and indeed, I think snow day = sleeping in day!

Mike, nevermind about mechanics, your poor Achilles!  O no, hope you get it taken care of soon.

Not much of a "break" there, Holly/momchauffeurcheerleader !  (Way to slip in a 16 miler there!)  So the knee is ok?

And my vow is echoing/paraphrasing Holly from a few days ago, something along the lines of I will never say it's "only" -7, or minus anything, weatherwise, as in the sense of "it's not so cold."    (Hiya Erika! )

I also vow never to do anything close to a 100 miler.

Yay, Karin, you are thorough (photos).  And as for your run, 19 miles is 19 miles.

Nice running, tselbs and Dave.  So neat you get to see each other.

Anyone want to bet henrun and marj spend another day in Arizona?  Maybe two??

Mari, glad your weekend worked out; wish I had had friends like you and Jlynne when I was going through all that mess.

So enke, have you met dive?  And tet.....is that what you're thinking, that if not, it might could happen??

Tramps, and was it Reston you signed up for?

6 very easy this am.  I "embedded" 2 5Ks in longer runs both weekend days.  My second 5K of the weekend was slower, but it was over and back on the river bridge, and I was less than a minute slower so ok.  The first one benefitted college program for public schools kiddoes and the second was at the Arts Fest.  DH and I went to the Arts Fest on our bikes Sunday afternoon and had a most fun time browsing the various art displays, talking with the artists, etc.  It was a juried show, so the pieces were actually quite good.   Oh! and we got a free ticket to the local rep theatre.

grins,

A

ps: No grammy observations?  I thought Annie Lennox was worth watching, and was surprised at how good Tom Jones and Jessie J were.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

Sounds like a MacGyver episode: How to call someone with a dead car and a coat hanger.

We got a few inches of snow.  Since I am participating in the company's wellness challenge, I shoveled instead of guiding the snow blower around.  So, 30 minutes of shoveling followed by a 4.13 mile run on ice & snow.

The cold DH has been battling for the last 2 weeks seems to be settling into my lungs as well.

Didn't stop me from doing a short 3 mile tempo run on the TM before work today, but maybe it should have.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Holly, that kind of stuff scares the bejeezus out of me! Last week a runner on a trail that I use often was attacked and seriously injured by a pit bull that got away from the woman walking it. Unfortunately, he didn't get any i.d. on the woman or dog because as soon as she finally pulled the dog off him he just wanted to get the heck away. He later took 20-something stitches at the local hospital.

And Enke, women like you an Econo are still in the dating pool only because you are so cool and nobody's been worthy yet.

Went to the gym this morning for a workout before going to deliver meals. I started out with a session on the treadmill and found that my new Forerunner 920XT actually does quite a good job of recording pace and distance -- at least it matches pretty closely to the treadmill itself. I think it will get even more accurate after I use it outside a couple more times so it can get a good measurement of my stride distance (it does this all internally -- no "footpod" required).

My DW was at the senior center today as a tax prep volunteer. She told me what gets her is all the people coming in with their Social Security, SS Disability, Medicare, etc., and then they sit there and complain about Obama. Hard for her to stay silent...

Have a good start to your work weeks, everyone. Get out there and run!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

And Enke, women like you an Econo are still in the dating pool only because you are so cool and nobody's been worthy yet.

+1

Aamos - great weekend running and arts fest visiting!  And the knee, well it's hard to say now, since my tumble on the pavement has both knees, both elbows, and one hip sore.  I just don't bounce like I used to.  

Mike - 

Erika - no doubt about DD's busy-ness.  No BB now, but this week she is rehearsing and then participating in a Middle School Honor Band performance on Saturday, plus a day snow-tubing with the Outdoor Club, and then next weekend she is one of the dancers for the younger children in three church services (plus practices).  That girl just can't keep still!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Howdy Do -

Had a chance to review the weekend's posts and I will say this:

Holly - Report the dog.  As others have said, next time it might not just be a body slam and might not be an adult.

Enke - ++1 on don't lower your standards 'cause you deserve the best, no matter how long it takes.

You people in the East and your crazy winter.  Egads!

Mike - Suck it up and go to the doctor before you do permanent or long-term damage.  As you said, you have big plans this year, and if you don't face this head-on, you might end up having to dump the plans.

Because I was a slacker Thurs and Fri due to the weather, I did my 6 miles with 4 x 1/4 mile hard hill repeats on Saturday (I didn't die, but I wanted to), and then 15 miles yesterday.  It was the benign McKay, so the goal was to try and get the 15 done in under 3 hours.  I barely made it at about 2:57, but hey - it counts!  For some reason my left groin/hip flexor is sore when trying to run or lift my leg, so I think I may have strained something on Saturday.  Will need to be watchful as I don't want it to flare up into anything else.  When I first started running and then again about 4 or so years ago, I had a hip flexor issue where everything on the left side re the hip - front to back - totally seized up on me and in order to walk, I'd have to do a weird leg swing out to the side 'cause I couldn't walk normal.  Both times it required quite a bit of massage therapy - and no running - to get things back into working order.  And talk about pain!  Woochee!  Hopefully, this is just a minor strain.

Okay - That's it.  Gotta get to work.  I only have a little over week to get things under control before I leave on vacation.  I hope it goes fast!!  (This next week or so, not vacation.)

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

OK, I didn't mention the pitbull as I'm a wuss.  I love dogs and think they mostly deserve second chances, but I have to admit to having a real, real real fear of pit bulls.  And others have made very good points, so I am thinking it would be good to have the dog officer go out and have a chat with the owner.

Also, Holly, are you now inclined to maybe carry some hot pepper spray in the event the dog comes back at you in the future?  Warning the owner might be a way of letting her know she needs to curb her dog and that if she doesn't, it may not be pleasant for the dog.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Hello from sunny ^h^h^h^h^h fffffreeezing cold Ottawa, where I am touring universities with DD17 (aka 'the filly')  You CR old-timers - can you stand it?  She was a tiny blonde sprite when we first got to talking and now she wants to go to university!

Although I'm originally from (and now back in) Michigan, DD has never lived anywhere but the Canadian Banana Belt out west and has had a shocker of a weekend, as temperatures are hovering around and below 0F. "Bring a winter coat," I said.  "Oh, I'll be fine with my shell and some layers," she said.  She is not fine and I am doing my damnedest not to lecture or smirk as she shivers.  But she is too proud and stubborn to take me up on either a loan of my parka (as she's the one of us doing the outdoors touring for the most part) or a even an offer of a new one.  I have no idea where she got that stubborn streak.

I'm actually quite happy to have my parka, as I'm struggling with a mild grippe - malaise, aches, etc., and am snuggling deep into my hood and trying to look perky so the trip is about her and not about me being sick.

The poor child went to dinner with my auntie, my cousin, and me, and got an earful of What She Should Do as we all unloaded our fantasies of how we'd do it over again if we were 17 and had the world by the tail.  But she has a plan and quite resents our attempts to insert our do-overs into her life, and that includes D and me doing what we could to coax her to U of M.  It is so hard to have every door in the world open to you and yet have no idea which to take.  It's much easier to choke the list of options down hard and forge onward. I hope she doesn't actually buckle down so hard that she goes straight from high school to university to job to kids to on and on and on.

I didn't take a break from work longer than three weeks from the time I graduated until this summer when I packed up to move back to Michigan.  I think, whatever the financial cost, I'll be doing more of that.  Time flies too quickly to be mindlessly harnessed to the treadmill.

Speaking of treadmills, there's one in the hotel fitness centre that would like some of my attention.  But my bones ache even thinking about it, so I think I'll go sit in the sauna instead.

hello.

==========

I'm still Lurking but read last week's daily on KT-Tape.

at this time

I would like to Caution-

Don't use it on your Bikini Area.

don't ask.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Holly, that kind of stuff scares the bejeezus out of me! Last week a runner on a trail that I use often was attacked and seriously injured by a pit bull that got away from the woman walking it. Unfortunately, he didn't get any i.d. on the woman or dog because as soon as she finally pulled the dog off him he just wanted to get the heck away. He later took 20-something stitches at the local hospital.

+ - don't think I could have said it better

MIke - take care of ouches before they get worse

Erika - gradual warming is good - northeast could definitely use some since deep freeze is coming in a few days

we would love to be stuck here for a few more days, but it doesn't look likely at this time - home on wednesday 

ran for over an hour on the greenbelt in Scottsdale past golf courses, parks, etc  then met my cousin who lives in Maryland, but visiting friends in Phoenix, for a museum tour and lunch.  At the museum, my DH bought me a necklace for my upcoming birthday 

marj

hello.

==========

I'm still Lurking but read last week's daily on KT-Tape.

at this time

I would like to Caution-

Don't use it on your Bikini Area.

don't ask.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey howdy, folks!

I'm loving the warm weather here in southern CA!  Another shorts and tee shirt run this morning, 5 miles down the dirt road where we camped.  We're near Idyllwild, an area my DH is interested in for possibly relocating for the winters - there's supposed to be good rock climbing nearby, and we'll go check it out tomorrow.   There are a zillion trails here, so I think I might like it here too for winter recreation!

Holly, bummer about the dog. Glad you didn't get bit.  We had neighbors once who got a pit bull puppy, and I made sure to make friends with him when he was little so I wouldn't have problems with him when he grew up.

Mike, hope you figure out what the issue is with your achilles/shoulder thing.  Good luck!

Enke, the right guy will come along, probably when you aren't really looking for him.

Leslie, 15 trail miles in under 3 hours is pretty darn good in my book!  Hope the hip flexor thing resolves itself soon!

Erika, no, I've never gotten lost on a trail run - I have a pretty good sense of direction, and when I run from a campsite I usually do an out-and-back so I don't get lost.  Loops can be tricky if you don't know the area.  And when there are lots of intersecting trails or dirt roads, I build little cairns to mark my turns so I can get back.

Mustang Sal - good luck to your DD with the college search.  And no, they don't usually listen to their parents, but if you're paying the bills, you certainly get some input!   What does she want to study?

Happy trails, everyone.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.