Masters Running

Thursday, 11.19.15 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Gotta watch out for that weather, TW, and the yogurt too!

Good on you for making the smart decision yesterday, Jlynne. However, about that wallpaper paste...

Between thrown Wilson and nekked Shorty, it seems you are ready for intruders, Leslie!

Yes, Evanflein, -12 is "noticeably chillier." Good luck with the house sitter, and with the new tabby and Abby. And have a greta trip too!

Sorry if you had to cancel date night, Enke. Keep being careful with that knee.

Nice shorts-wearing, leaf (and star) swirling, smiling run, Holly. Have fun with AT&T - again.

Nice 4 & 6 runs, Aamos. Yes, Yukon is a bit more exotic than UConn.

Good side-winder run, TSelbes.

Congrats on the shooting star run, Moebo!

I'd hardly call you a wimp for bailing in 8" of snow and howling winds, Wildchild. Yes, a rest day is OK every once in a while - even for you.

Nothing like having "desirable antibodies," eh, Steve? Good for you for donating blood.

I meant to say that it is Dear Niece, not DW who is going to UConn. Her planned dual major is poly sci and economics - that could get anybody into trouble!

I forgot to tell you that I got the carp beat out of me, once again, at last week's Budget Committee review of our conservation commission budget (which is a paltry $30K in the Town's $25 mil+ budget). One of the BudComm members asked, as I was leaving, "Feel like you've been grilled?" He was the one who did most of the grilling. I'm glad someone else will be chair of the commission next year and I won't have to deal with this nonsense.

4.6 mostly RW miles in 40F temps under cloudy skies this morning (rain coming in later today). After yesterday's tempo workout, my glute was complaining a bit this morning, so I backed off and took it very easy over the last mile or so. Not what I was hoping for...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein

You've done your part, Jay, let someone else break trail for awhile.

Funny thing about UConn. My office is on Yukon Drive. All the streets on campus are named after Alaska rivers. I give people my office address and don't think anything about it. Then a package shows up addressed to UConn Drive. We all get a chuckle out of it.

Ok, no run yesterday with needing to meet up with the house sitter. I think she'll do fine. I'm hoping to get a run in today, just a short one, before sitting in a plane all day.

Have fun in Hawaii, Erika!  But that's probably pretty much a given.  And I hope the kitties learn to get along.  Chico and Goofy still don't like Mr. Mr., but at least Chico isn't trying to attack him every day.  Goofy?  He's Mr. Mr.'s personal stalker.

Jay - You deserve a rest from being in the hot seat for so long.

SteveP - It stinks when you have such desirable blood, but the parting with the blood ends up being an undesirable event.  Hang in there.

Cute pic of the 3 kitties in the box. 

With the time change, running after work is not an option, unless I want to run on sidewalks, which I don't.  So I was up and out the door my 5:10 for 5 miles with a solid effort in the 2nd mile, seeing if I could hold it for a faster time than last week,which I did - 9:23 compared to 9:37 last week.  (That's like a slow effort for a couple of you. )  I was sucking a bit of wind by the end, but considering that mile is mostly at an incline to varying degrees, I'm happy with it.  The goal, obviously, is to keep improving.

Watched a short video from The Run Experience this a.m. wherein Nate Helming talks about the #1 way to become a better runner - and that's by doing the exercises you know you need to do when you need to do them, doing the training properly, giving it your 100% effort.  You're not going to improve, keep from becoming injured, etc., if you don't make the commitment to become better.  I needed that bit of a kick in the butt. There are things I know I need to be doing to stay healthy and strong, especially as I age, but I have become very lacks about doing them.  . . . Today I begin anew, and that's my promise to myself.

I've been going through boxes of my dad's paperwork.  Last night, in the midst of a bunch of what seemed like just crap, I found an envelope that had about 8 or 9 ribbons my brother won when he was in junior high from running track and a couple from winning 1st place at the fair with his lambs.  I had no idea my brother ran track at any point (I don't think he did in high school).  I'm going to send the ribbons to him as a Christmas present.  Oh, I also found a traffic report from one of the number of car accidents he had.  I'm sending that to him, as well. 

I also found a cute birth announcement that I believe my dad drew up when my nephew was born, but I don't think it ever got sent out.  I'm going to send that to my nephew.

And I've also been coming across a lot of my dad's writings.  Off and on throughout the years after my mom died, he kept a journal.  Sometimes it was just his recounting of what he did that day - laundry, eating, etc. - sometimes recollections from growing up.  But other writings are pretty telling about where he was mentally at times over the years and those have been tough to read, but I think I owe it to him to read them and keep them.

Okay - All we have to do is get through today and tomorrow and the it's the weekend!!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...sorry about the Carpy Meeting jay.......

..........Very touching hearing about your dad's journal fatozzig......

========

.Non-Adventure Day here,

getting cooler,

but sunny,

pumped 2-in of water out of the crawl-space with my Bilge-Pump>>>>>>>was actually more fun than it sounds like

(you just have to be

Disabled for 2-years to Fully Enjoy It)

.......20-min elliptical

and

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, deo

..............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

...sorry about the Carpy Meeting jay.......

..........Very touching hearing about your dad's journal fatozzig...... 

1+ ......And you're just a good time guy, tw!

So my friend Stevie Ray, a/k/a "island boy" from his Hawaii days, responded thusly when I asked him how many layers he's planning on for Sunday at the Monkey: " 3-4 up top.  ski cap, gloves w/ handwarmers."  :-)

Shoot, I can't even find handwarmers down here.

Glad you are letting someone else pony up to the grill there, Jay.   Like Erika said, you've done your part.

Six and half this morning.  A little more maybe tonight with Speedsters, but I need to go home at a decent hour to pack so I can unpack it all and repack it Friday, when the weather report changes.  (Ha, as if.  Embrace the chill!) ---I'm still hot from the Ft. Myers Marathon, so this is gonna feel brutal, even if it is IRC!

...non sequitur.... I don't like running on sidewalks much, either, but for prolly really different reasons than why Leslie eschews them.

We had T'giving at work today.  The bosses bring in the birds and we have too much to eat.  SO we have reprise lunch tomorrow.  And the rugs get cleaned Saturday.  (Not saying there's a connection, just the facts.)

Where is Ribs?

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

1+ ......And you're just a good time guy, tw!

So my friend Stevie Ray, a/k/a "island boy" from his Hawaii days, responded thusly when I asked him how many layers he's planning on for Sunday at the Monkey: " 3-4 up top.  ski cap, gloves w/ handwarmers."  :-)

Shoot, I can't even find handwarmers down here.

A

How do you move with that much on?   Reminds me a bit of last year leading up to the Richmond marathon when the predicted temps were about the same as these.  Many articles in the Richmond papers on how to dress for the cold that DW's cousin diligently forwarded to us.  We reminded him that he grew up in MA, so he should n't be that Southified.    Throw away sweat pants and shirt with shorts and long sleeve shirt underneath were perfect.  I will admit that an ear band that went on and off depending on the wind direction did feel good.

enjoying a sojurn in southern NJ for my electrical pre-bid meeitng.  Had really nice weather this morning, but i appear to have developed some tendinitis in my left foot that made me really not want to go out.  sucks.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Jay, you've paid your dues.  Enjoy the respite from taking crap.  fatozzig, it's got to be neat, even though emotional at times, to be going through your dad's papers and writings.

This morning, it was in the high 40s and windy.  I did 3 miles at a 10:45 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Jay, they are so lucky to have you! Your caring spirit is admirable.

Aamos, enjoy your race this weekend. Just buy ski gloves at your destination, that should keep you warm.

We had yet another audit from Commerce yesterday. We administer several programs and each program gets audited yearly. So, the day was very, very long. Today was no different, except I did have a chance to go out for a nice pre-dawn run. 7 miles totals. It was a cloudy run. No sunshine at all

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Just popping in to say Hi!!  No running, no workouts since Sunday - just working and eating too much Sad

Hope to get a good workout done in the morning then head to the Cape to spend some time with my mil - fil requiring more hospice care this week and it's getting tough on my mil so heading down to give her support and hopefully get her out of the house for a bit

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Just popping in to say Hi!!  No running, no workouts since Sunday - just working and eating too much Sad

me too but trying to fend of a creeping cold that seems to stabilized low level enough to at least take advantage of the sunny spell through the weekend for a cycle commute tomorrow a.m.

zigs - maybe you can transcribe it for the entire family and future ones too

Whenever SRL'd lap by me in winter racing around here in the PNW, I'd always ask, "how many layers," too.  Maybe find out what race was his layer PR.  I bet maybe the sleety, snowy, rainy SM about ten years ago you AG'ed without even seeming to notice that everyone else was dressed as if for a Mt. Everest expedition.

nothing wrong with mixing up "Yukon" that I love with UConn homonym I'd never heard of and took a while to figure out how anything even remotely connected with the Yukon could have anything to do with the NCAA's back in those days,  . . . especially when I found out they are the "huskies" even though the only real ones are from erika-land.  However, getting something delivered to UConn Drive up there takes the cake!  Good Job USPS.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I agree that you have done more than your share and deserve a break.

We went to DD's first basketball scrimmage last night and DD got to play nearly the entire game.  This compared to last year when she mostly sat on the bench, which, after being a star in that sport the years before that, was a severe blow to her confidence.  I am glad that the coach this year is not afraid to put her out there.  She will have so much more fun this season.

5.2 miles for me on Thursday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."