Masters Running

FRIDAY! - Oct. 10 Boomer Runs and Rest (Read 514 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

GOOD MORNING!! Scheduled rest day for me - so no donuts. Sad Shout out to SteveP!! We are on opposite ends of the spectrum every day..... Hows the leg feeling today Timbo? TGIF!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

No Donuts??? What's up with that? Shocked This morning was tempo day. So 9 miles total with 5 miles at tempo. I felt like I was working harder than I got. 75F and 91%, 5 tempo miles at 8:16, 8:09, 8:05, 8:11, and 7:58. Meh. Roll eyes Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Mary - nice donut control... Bill - nice run - I wouldn't call those tempo miles "meh." No run for me today, light x-training instead: leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, glute raises, push-ups, butterflies, shoulder presses, weighted duck squats, and various crunches. One of the best exercises I know ā€“ lunges ā€“ I am still not ready for. I tried a couple today, but somehow lunges pinpoint the exact spot of the newly-healed tendon strain and Iā€™m just too fearful of re-injury to chance pushing it. Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning gang... Mary, my legs feel super after last night's very easy 4 mile recovery run...no Garmin. Well Mary, I will have to call you a slacker this morning, not because of the rest day....but no donuts Sad Bill, looks like a good workout to me...sometimes it feels easy, sometimes not...but you got it done. Have a nice rest day Holly (Mary too) Happy you are still being careful...you are doing greta Smile I have tried lunges before, but they seem to hurt my knees and hips more than I care to go thorugh...but maybe done consistently would be beneficial. I miss Steve and hearing about his runs with T....hope he is doing well!!! TGIF....Have a good day everyone. Suppose to be a beautiful weekend here, and the leaves are turning into their brilliant colors...not tooo many of these days left Sad One of my neighbors already have their Christmas Tree up Roll eyes....seems crazy to me. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Yes gorgeous weekend it will be. It's our Thanksgiving Weekend up here so it's a long weekend. Looking forward to a dinner with all the fixins No running tonight but yesterday was the speed workout with the group I coach. I ran a 2k warm up then 5 sets of 400 meters averaging 1:15's, 45 second rest then 800's at 2:45 average with a 2k cooldown. All done on the Cross Canada Trail. Might race a 5 or a 10k on Monday morning. It's only $15 to race this event which is a huge deal compared to most places. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Renee the dog

Unexpectedly on the bench yesterday -- so never got my 5 mi in. I had a back spasm around lunchtime that didn't go away until after dinner. After reading all the doughnut talk, I did share a huge cream puff with my husband last night, and today woke up all better. Coincidence? I think not. Did my 5 mi on the boards this morning. 59 F, 82% H. Heavenly weather. Heavenly run with Renee. 46:48. Working on running consistently on different surfaces. Did 5 mi a couple days back on the sand in 46:46. I'm getting there. When I can take the Garmin off and do it too, I'll be happy. We've definitely broken through to the other side of our lives here in a tourist zone. As Jimmy Buffett sings, "The Coast is Clear" but until we transition through, it's always a bit funky. Funkiness is gone, and makes the running more fun. Everyone is back into their off-season rhythm and happy. Smile Tim, does this same Christmas tree neighbor pull the thing down on Dec. 26 too? Hope everyone enjoys their day.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I agree Holly - stay away from the lunges a little longer. You are doing great and you'd be proud of me.... I threw the last donut away this morning!! (don't tell mrhopeful!) They are better when they are fresh and I figured I didn't need it with my ever expanding waist line. Roll eyes Good to hear the leg is feeling greta Tim! I agree the Christmas tree thing is very bizare!! Sorry to dissapoint you today! Wink Byl - not "meh" in my book! NoNo - I am sure it was the creampuff that worked the magic on your back. Happy to read you are feeling better! Tall - save me a leg! (turkey that is). Hey, does anyone know what happened to Hallar??? He's supposed to run Detroit next week too! Speaking of which .... time to go check the weather report .... Cheers!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Well, at least Bill and nono are out there working it, even if the rest of you are slacking today. I'm typing this from a room at the Fairfield Inn north of Dayton where I managed a good 4-mile recovery run this morning, even if it was through one of those decidedly pedestrian-unfriendly commercial strips. After running the perimiter of a Sam's Club parking lot, I finally found some roads with good sidewalks and not so much traffic. I felt surprisingly good considering my long run yesterday, and attributed it to picking up on the energy wafting up from Miamisburg, but apparently Holly wasn't out running today. But I'll be sure to honk my horn as I pass by on I-75 in a little while. Good running to everyone indulging today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

3 very easy miles with T this morning...8:19 pace...5K race tomorrow See you tomorrow Mariposai
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                      One of my neighbors already have their Christmas Tree up Roll eyes....seems crazy to me. Tim
                      Sure they aren't some rednecks from New Castle who just left their Christmas stuff all year? Wink Not supposed to be a x-training day for me but it is. I'm going to hit the airdyne bike today. Back on the trail tomorrow. Didn't do doughnuts but DW made some brownies last night. Starting that HM carb-loading a little early. Roll eyes nono--back spasms are tough. Hard to get rid of them without 'collateral damage' to muscles and pinched nerves. Good luck. Have a good Friday all! Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Marathon Maniac #957

I did share a huge cream puff with my husband last night, and today woke up all better. Coincidence? I think not.
                        (.....carefully taking notes for later.....hmmm ......cream puff recovery plan....better make it a HUGE cream puff, just to be sure......) ROCH!!! You are in Dayton and you didn't call me for a run? Of course, you'd have had to roll out of bed pret-ty early and I know you retired folks life that laid back life of leisure... Smile ....but if you happen to be coming back through Dayton and stopping for the night, especially at one of the hotels south of town in the Dayton Mall area, I could take you for a nice run in my neck of the woods.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good morning! 5.69 miles, 9.29 average pace, 6:16 max (striders), 169 ahr, 193 max. (not sure about that). polar user error again, so the only mile i have is the last one, at 8:49. (169/179 hr) . stability ball routine, stretched, then just 1 set on the weight machines with a couple more exercises added. that's all the time I had. i like stretching much better right after i run than after the weights. don't know if that matters, but i thought i'd try it. Has any one heard from Perch???? or did I just miss something? i'm only here for the donuts, so i'm outa here. Wink happy friday!
                            On the minor good news front my new Garmin 305 arrived today. Very minor as it replaces my old one that I fear is about to die. During last Sunday's race water got into it and now there is a line running horizontally through the center of the display that no longer works. If it were to die just before or during the NYC Marathon I would probably go with it! I cannot really complain though given how much use I have gotten out of the watch. On the totally bad news front I am bailing on this Sunday's HM. Sad I went for a run with some friends of mine this morning. We were supposed to go 6 miles at an EZ pace. The route is out and back. After we got going a bit my upper left calf started to feel "wrong" and then worse. Having missed Boston with a calf injury I am determined to avoid a repeat for NY. So, after just over 2 miles I turned back and even walked some of the route. At this point my plan is to take off the next three days and see how I am doing. Better safe than sorry at this point I figure. But boy is it hard to stop training even for a few days! So, why am I writing this all here? Because this is the best commitment device I know of! By posting my time off plan here I figure I am more likely to actually carry through with it. Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Beautiful morning here in NE Ohio perfectly clear 48F & I'm still on vacation Big grin One week ago today DW & I took a 6 mile hike in Grand Canyon , 3 mile hike down (about 1200 ft. drop) below the rim & then back up. Sunday we went to Zion NP which is a much different perspective because you enter the park at the bottom & can hike to the top. In Zion we only took a couple of short but steep hikes w/ some yikes Shocked thrown in. Then Monday it was on to Bryce Canyon which was my favorite because the best things were so close. In Bryce we took a hard 6.4 mile hike with 1,783 ft. elevation change. All 3 parks were fantastic and unique. I'll post a few photos one of these days, although I'm telling you no photo can do them justice. 5.5 easy miles today following a very hilly 6.5 mile GA yesterday. We did manage to get in a couple of good runs in on vacation.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Renee the dog

On the totally bad news front I am bailing on this Sunday's HM. Sad
                                {{{{{Twocat & Twocat's calf}}}}}

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!