Masters Running

Richmond RR (Read 269 times)

Tramps

DNF in Richmond; my first ever at any distance. No injury, just misery. After a night of thunderstorms, the rain stopped just in time for the race. I understand it was about 95% humidity and 67 at the start, heading well into the 70s. Many of you know I don’t do well in H&H in general and, this time of year especially, I’m no longer acclimated to it. As a consequence, I imploded…fast. Literally, sweat was dripping in my glasses standing there waiting to start! Not my kind of day, to say the least. I abandoned any hope of my target 3:35 and instead did the first half around a 3:40 pace. But I felt miserable from the very beginning. I have never felt so poorly so early in a race. I was overheating (the sun actually came out making it much worse), my HR was racing, and I felt queasy. Immediately after the halfway point, I slowed down dramatically and even took walk breaks to see if I could recover to a decent pace, to no avail; my day of running was done. I had wanted a race to test my conditioning; my heart wasn’t into just slogging through a miserable 12 mile jog for a poor finish time. As I was contemplating what to do, I started feeling a little dizzy and light-headed and that settled any doubts; I was done. I decided to jog/walk it in to mile 16, a spot where I could leave the course and shortcut directly to the finish. As I write this a few hours later, I’m still a little queasy but okay. A cold front moves through tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be 25 degrees cooler! Should be breezy but IRC. Ah, the fickle hand of fate. Lessons: I can’t run well in H&H. I already knew that but hoped maybe better conditioning would get me through this time. Nope. I don’t regret having tried, though. If I had started out much slower and finished, I’d be wondering if I could have gone faster from the start. After two out of three years at Richmond with very warm and humid weather, I think it’s time to head north to a cooler and less humid race next year. But the day did have a very bright spot! My DW ran her first-ever half today and did quite well, given the conditions. That’s why I cut over to the finish; to greet her just after her race. I’ve been “coaching” her all year as she’s been building up mileage. I’m very proud of her. Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tramps, I am sooo sorry how your race turned out, really. I am not very good with words when something like this happens...others will be better well spoken. But will say, your training has gone great, and I DO know you have a BQ in you...hard to beat the conditions sometimes!!! If you have your sense of humor right now, we both DNF at the same miles. Sorry Tramps....chin up, ok. Hey, at least you live to run another day!!! Yeah, bright spot...tell the DW congrats for me / us. Why are training runs kinda easy to figire out, and races hard???? Feel'n for ya TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Tramps! Bummer! But what could you do? I was recently having a discussion with someone else (Tim, actually) about what a crapshoot training for a marathon can be - so many things can go wrong on race day that are completely out of your control. You are in great condition, and I know you have such a great race in you, but today you were sabotaged by the weather. There will come another day, another race, but I agree that you should try to aim for a cooler climate race. I suspect you would do much better in Too Cold conditions than Too Warm. Congratulations to your DW, btw - super job for finishing her first HM!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I am thrilled you bailed out of this nasty race in time to save yourself some recovery woes. I knew you were doing 20's at around 8 minutes a mile during your training, and the race tracking showed you at 1:51 at the half. Clearly you were having a bad time of it in what had to be the worst day to run a marathon that I have seen here, very warm and way too humid. You can chalk this one up as a very tough workout, recover as you need to and make some interesting choices for bouncing right back. Imagine how bad this would be for you if you had tried to slog on in these conditions. It would take forever to recover and you may even have hurt yourself. Good thinking Tramps on a very tough day. Spareribs
          evanflein

Tramps I was so saddened to see the DNF lead off your report, but as I read it, I started thinking just like Spareribs (ok, that's scary...). You are in awesome condition right now, your training has been superb! How about finding a race that you can get into in the next couple of weeks or so... a smaller one with a late entry capability? You've got that BQ in you and you're primed to run it now. I think you should regroup and try again, take advantage of that fitness you've worked so hard for. And yes, big congrats to your DW on her half marathon today!
              Congratulations about your DW! Sorry this race wasn't meant to be. You're in great shape and obviously with better conditions would have had a breakout race. Maybe you can find one further north which isn't too far away and show another course what you are made of? Just a thought. You made the right decision.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Aw, Tramps. I'm sorry the weather screwed up your race. There are some things we just can't control, and I think you were wise to drop out when you did. You'll have a quick recovery and can put the next plan into action that much faster. Big congratulations to Mrs. Tramps!! It's nice that you were able to be there at the end of her race.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

DickyG

Tramps...You absolutely did the right thing..when I got up this morning and went out for my measly 4 mile run, I got very nervous thinking that you were about to tackle a full marathon in these miserable conditions. As you already mentioned, tomorrow would have been a great day for you. You will live to fight another day...I've been simply awed by your terrific training, especially that 20-mile race you ran recently. Congrats to DW...and actually, congrats to you for being smart (for a change). DickyG
                    Oh Tramps - the weather for this race is deserving of the the fickle hand of fate award! Glad to hear that you did right by yourself and that you can see the silver lining in DW's race performance.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I couldn't have run it in that H&H either. You knew when to bail. Sometimes all the planets align and sometimes they don't. There will be another good one. Maybe you can run Charlotle or some other December marathon and use your training to nail noe. Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Head Procrastinator

Congrats to your DW Tramps! Sorry it wasn't your day. You did the right thing and I hope you can find another race to take advantage of the conditioning. Barb
                        ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                          Wise decision. As I've come to learn, and I've heard it said here many times, running is a sport of patience. You showed great restraint and patience. Congrats on DW's race!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh Tramps - I was so sorry to read the DNF in your opening. You did the right thing by pulling out of it at Tim's Magical 16 mile point. I am no good in H&H conditions either and can't imagine even making it that far. Congratulations to DW though - that is great! Get some rest and come North for your next adventure!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey rain man - sorry to hear the conditions turned out as bad as predicted. H&H really does me in, too. I don't know how some folks seem to do OK with it. But congrats to Mrs. Tramps on setting a PR in her 1st half!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hill Runner

DNF in Richmond; my first ever at any distance. No injury, just misery. Literally, sweat was dripping in my glasses standing there waiting to start! Not my kind of day, to say the least.
                                Tramps, I'm so sorry about your DNF...but sweat dripping on your glasses at the Start is not a good sign especially when you have a 26.2 mile race ahead of you. You were smart to bail out. If you're interested, Charlotte has a marathon in about 4 weeks, the weather here in December is usually either ideall or downright cold. Just a thought! Smile Congrats on your DW's half!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13