Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 9.4.12 (Read 407 times)

rhoon, those were fantastic pictures taken from your plane.  OM, great half with 7 minute PR and sub 2 hours.  avenger doggie, nice race and pictures.  wild, congrats on your 41 minute PR in your marathon.  ribs, for a tough race, you did well with 2nd in AG in your 15K.  Dave, nice 5K at Chippewa Nature Center.  I see a number of my other friends were there.  tet, way to go on the 2:30 half.  Slo, sorry to hear about the bike crash.  I hope you heal quickly.

Nice long runs for starr, evan, Mike, holly, and breger.

This morning, it was in the high 60s, there was a light wind, and it felt humid.  I got in 6 miles at an 11:11 pace.  I was able to pick up the pace the last mile, I didn't feel too bad at the end, and I recovered fairly well and quickly.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

OrangeMat

MM #6177

In case some of you aren't pleased with your current marathon PR, here's how to improve it the Paul Ryan way.

OM - you were smoking!  You certainly left it all out there, congratulations on getting well under 2hours.

Wildchild, terrific big fat PR for you too!  And a really interesting fall marathon schedule coming up.

Tom, that was interesting about the eye drops.  Let's hope the trend continues.

Twocat, sometimes the thought of a new T-shirt is my inspiration to enter races!  Even if I am paying for one!

I only did 20 miles total (4 runs) last week, so I found my last two runs were rather strong.  I did my quad-slammer mountain run at the cottage, and guess what, it was 1 minute per mile faster than the first time I did it, and 40 seconds per mile faster than the second, 3 weeks ago.  4.8miles.   And, I didn't feel trashed afterwards.  So a good feeling, to have that much improvement........maybe the cooler temperatures helped too.  Something is going on.  In a good way.....

This morning I crossed the hiway for a hilly run, and man, I ran up a really steep long hill (that I always walk!) without stopping, and did all the other hills on the route like that.  I started to feel it at the end, but I was sure happy!  5 miles.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Wildchild,

Great job on the PR this weekend!  That elevation chart of your next one is just scary though.Shocked I think maybe some elevation charts should only be looked at after the race. That would get in my head.

OM,

Congrats to you also. You have come a long way from when I was a regular on here before.

Short 2 miles for me today. I did notice this is my last 2 miler on my comeback schedule, next weeks Tuesday run is bumped up to 3 miles. Baby steps coming back but I am starting to feel like a runner again. I really won't feel like I am all the way back untill I am running 6 days a week with my Sunday runs over 10 miles. Yes Bill it is much easier staying in shape but are we ever completely satisfied? No we just find more challanges (Like Triathalons)

fun runs for everyone,

Larry 

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

mrrun

congrats to OM and Wildchild - great races and more to come

sounds like lots of runners are going so much faster and stronger - who cares why, just enjoy and walk or run with it

((SLO))) heal quickly -

no run today, recovering from long run on sunday and road bike ride yesterday - more achy then my commuter bike!

marj

Henrun

Congrats OM and Wilchild. (((SLO & mrrun))) Continuing on my road to recovery I mostly jogged 3 miles this morning-slow but felt good My PT 'ist feels I need 1 or 2 more sessions. Will continue to cross-train and stretch.

..Glad to hear it henry//......Hang in There........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I have no idea what's going on in here, except Wildchild had a GREAT marathon, and Holly is signing up for some turkey of a marathon that could be the race to end all races.  You go, girl!

Yesterday was core/strength training, and this a.m. was 8 miles with some strides at the end.  Almost ran into a skunk (there are skid marks on the pavement where I came to a screeching halt and started backing up) and found a debit card.  Turned in said card to the bank.  And there you have it!

Shorty scraped and sanded and I scrubbed the really bad spots on the house, getting it ready to paint.  The front is turning into a mess.  Shorty starts scraping/sanding a bubbled area, and the bubble moves or gets bigger.  He's getting frustrated, so we'll see how much he's willing to hassle with it before he says enough's enough.  Problem is, if it's not done correctly now, it's just gonna be a bigger issue in a year or two.  But you guys can be so stubborn sometimes! Wink 

I've found my colors, though: Millington Gold (main color) and Rich Cream (trim).  With a deep brownish purple door, it's gonna look really nice.  I'm excited.  We've needed to do this for about 4-5 years.  Now I just need to work Shorty agreeing to get rid of the ugly brick planter box fronting half the house . . . .

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...just got off the phone with Pickles//...............she's spending the night in Knoxville,

taking Claire to First Day at New School  (K thru something)

then

off to Atlanta

for 10-day vacation in Vienna, Prague, and BudaPest.

........I will be Left to My Own Devices.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Do these devices have anything to do with your internet search of a couple of weeks ago?  Just wondering

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Oooh!  Prague is beautiful!  We went there 6 years ago.  If Pickles love old architecture, it's the place to go.  Prague wasn't bombed during WWII, so most of its buildings are hundreds of years old.  Four of the 187 photos we took:

One of my most favorite pictures:

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Oh oh - I remember the last time Pickles left town - something about being hungry and looking for anything that resembled food....and then the words "neighborhood cats" came up in the same paragraph.  And Kevin? I think that internet search was just a coincidence Big grin

Leslie those colors sound beautiful. Is the planter box the wrong color and could it be sand blasted, or is it just too big? Great pictures btw.

Ouch Slo. Hope you heal quickly.

Henry - glad to hear you're back out running again.

Nice sproinky run Enke. I'm convinced that cooler weather has a lot to do with better runs.

Just finished our fantasy football draft. I didn't end up with even one Packer player and am totally bummed out about that.

The planter box is made of old, used bricks.  We tried power washing it, but it's U-G-L-Y.  I've hated that thing ever since we bought the house 14+years ago.  I told him if it doesn't go, then I will plant so much crap in it to hang over or in front of it to cover it up, it'll drive him crazy.  We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I'm going to go look for my cats . . . . .

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I don't care what party you're in or who you vote for, you have to admit that was a damn good speech.

I had just gotten back from a 8-mile run with 4 MPish miles in the middle on some hills.  It felt great!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

evanflein

I don't care what party you're in or who you vote for, you have to admit that was a damn good speech.

What speech? Michelle Obama's? If so, I missed it. Well, if not, I missed it anyway. Didn't see any speeches tonight. Nice run for you tonight, btw.

I ran 5.5 miles at lunchtime, a little late but the day was still nice. Got overcast and grey with wind later, so glad I went mid-day. The weather the rest of the week could be pretty crummy, but will do what I can. Leave Saturday night for a conference in AZ, so will have nice weather but not much running opportunities. I'll try to do Sunday's "long run" on Saturday before I leave.

Holly, the long-range forecast is for not that great of conditions on the 15th. While you can't count on the actual forecast for the day, you usually can rely on the trend: cool, cloudy, possible showers, highs in the upper 40's to low 50's.... Not the best, but not the worst it could be.