Masters Running

Susan G. Komen Race For the Cure 5K RR (Read 198 times)

Though this is not my first race, it is my first race report ever. Please forgive me if I break any rules. Smile This is the second time I've run this race. A year ago, as a new graduate of the C25K, I ran it as my very first "real" race, and thus entered the world that I never dreamed that I'd be a part. Last year my DD ran it with me and this year my whole family participated, with my kids running, and my DH walking. It was nice to have an event for which we could all participate. This was the first 5k for both my DS and DH. My goal was to improve over my last 5K (check) and I secretly wanted to break 30 minutes (maybe next time). The weather was cool, around 50 degrees F and somewhat windy. I wore black running pants (that I appreciated in the wait before the race, but could've lived without after the start), a light blue sleeveless tech shirt under the long sleeve cotton SBK race shirt, a red headband, and my Mizuno running shoes. My kids and I lined up with the 10:00/11:00 pace group and my DH started with the walkers. It was an amazing crowd with over 24,000 participants! Even with that many folks, we saw several people we knew. We chose not to get chips for the race, so we all carried timers. It took a few minutes to make it to the start line after the gun went off, and at that point my DD went on ahead. My DS and I ran together for the first mile or so. We were thrilled to see the 9:04 on the timer at mile one. This is the fastest either of us had run a mile, so we were pumped. I felt good, my legs felt good... Around 1.25 miles, DS wanted to walk, so I ran on ahead agreeing to meet at the finish at the appointed spot. Around 1.67 miles, he caught up again, I was so pleased to see him! We hung out for another quarter of a mile when we separated once again. At mile 2, I was still averaging under 10mm. Then mile three...ugh...for those of you that run longer distances, a mile long hill may not seem like much, but for us 5k'ers, that's 1/3 of the race! It was ALL uphill. It wasn't a monster hill, but it was definitely a hill. I run on shorter similar hills, so I didn't croak, but it slowed my pace considerably. That's ok, I kept running and finished beating my PR by around 3 minutes at 31:34. DD finished quite a bit ahead of me, and my DS just 3 minutes after me, his first 5k PR. DS told me that he ran a minute and walked a minute for the last mile, and ran on all the downhills which I thought sounded like quite a plan to come up with on his own at 11 years old. We waited around for the walkers and DH. I found out that it took DH 18 minutes to reach the start! We quickly took off for the rest of the day's non-running related activities. It was a good day and we all plan to repeat the event next year. Thanks for reading. Janet
    wildchild

Carolyn

Janet, what an awesome race! You got to share it with your whole family, and you and DS got PRs! You didn't mention if your DD got a PR as well? I'd love it if my family would come to races with me, even just to walk. The Komen races are for a great cause, although they tend to be super crowded. Congrats on a good race and a good cause.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

You wrote a fine report, HandyMom. It sounds like a great day for you and your family. It's always special when the whole family participates. It's not very nice of the race directors to make the 3rd mile uphill. Long hills can be tough. Congrats on your PR and fastest ever mile. TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Awesome race! Congratulations on your PR – 3 minutes is HUGE in a 5K! And the best part? Getting to share it with the family, of course. Great job, to all of you!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Congratulations on your 3 minute PR that is huge especially at the shorter distances, don't minimize your accomplishments, you did a great job! Big grin The Komen races really are for a good cause and even though they tend to be crowded I have the new marathon that runs out of Jacksonville on my radar screen...not sure if it will be this year but soon. My mom passed away from Breast Cancer so this holds a very dear spot in my heart and I will run this one very soon. Once again congrats on a fine race...oh and by the way distance, hills, speed they are all relative believe me they really are! Wink
            coastwalker

Hi Janet, Terrific RR for a novice. Wink You did pretty well in the race too. Holly is absolutely right - a 3-minute PR in a 5K is HUGE! And running any PR in a race surrounded by 24,000 of your closest friends is not an easy thing to do! Congratulations on what sounds like a great day with good running all around, and time well-spent with your family. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Super first race report! No rules broken. Photos are optional but highly desired. Congrats on the PR and sub 30 will be yours someday.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Renee the dog

Great race report! And congratulations for getting the whole family involved. Kewl! Oh, and a 3 min. PR, WAY kewl. Cool

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Top 'O the World!

Well done! Congrats!! Smile Cool
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      Way to go HandyMom! Your report was great (Rules? Pish!) and your racing accomplishment even better. I love that your whole family did this and supported such an important cause. Keep reporting and we'll keep cheering Karin
                        nice job!! sounds like a great race and a WONDERFUL family day!!

denise

Nice racing, HandyMom! Like others have said, it's great to be able to enjoy running with the family. Perfect!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Nice race and race report, Janet Your are getting to be quite the pro at the racing and report stuff Big grin From a DH's perspective. I was never more proud of my DW when she ran her first 5k race. Hers was small compared with yours with just 8000 runners, but it still takes guts to put yourself out there for all the world to see. Your a speed demon compared to her as she avg's 13m/m but like yourself, she works hard at it. Keep runnin' and racin' Fran
                            SteveP

Family races are the best!! Keep the RRs coming. Kudos on supporting a great event.

SteveP

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Greta report Janet! I love how your whole family was involved and you all did a great job!! I have to tell ya, I run longer distances, and a mile uphill would kill me too. I'd rather avoid hills altogether! You'll get that sub 30 minute 5K next time!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com