Masters Running

Saturday March 28 Runs and Assorted Mischief (Read 374 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! 13 miles for me today in 40 degrees (ave 9:33), with miles 7, 8, 9, and 10 at MP. Legs felt pretty good today, but my run was plagued with a nagging side-stitch that came and went. I wish I knew what caused those, and how to make them go away. I wore my blue Boston 2008 long-sleeved tech shirt and my yellow Marathon Maniac singlet over it, and concentrated on positive visualization. Wink DD’s swim lesson at noon, then afterward we’re off to DS’s first outdoor soccer game in a town an hour north of here. Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

I know what you mean Holly about those side stitches.......It would be nice to know what causes them......especially during an easy effort run. Nice 13 miler BTW.......I'm really anxious to see how you do in your Marathon. We've been given a forecast of 6" of snow with rates of up to an 1" an hour. Probably a few good things will come of it. 1) It ain't gonna stick around long. It'll probably be gone by Monday.....No shoveling Big grin 2) There's a 4 mile race I'm planning on doing......maybe it'll cut the field size down, it's starts on the road but it gets narrow quickly. (not so fortunate though for the charity this race is for Cry ) Outside of that.....I'm at work No An easy 5 last night and I'll do an easy 3 sometime today..........I'm hungry for Taco's......callin the DW and tell her I'm buyin tonight Tongue
        Good morning all, nice 13 miler Holly and 6 inches of fresh snow for SLO...YUK! I'll take the rain they are calling for during tomorrow's Eastern States 20 Miler...I'm just using it as a Boston Training run anyways...see if I can get close to MP for the whole thing. Saturday - 6.03 miles - 51:40 - 8:35 - Very Foggy, 36° & humid 9:02 - 8:37 - 8:34 - 8:26 - 8:20 - 8:19 - :18 This fog is supposed to clear up and one of my son in-laws is coming over to help cut down a good sized tree that broke during the ice storm we had this winter, of course that means the youngest grand daughter will be here too! Big grin
          I've heard side stitches can be reduced by slowly forcing all the air out of your lungs, but I don't know why. Sluggish run in warmer, but drizzly weather. Hopefully I feel better for tomorrow's long run. 5.1 miles, 46:47, 9:11/mi, AHR 136 (70% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Saturday greetings! Nice visualizing Holly. I try to massage those stitches out when they appear….annoying. Sorry about the snow SLO…..I am sure we’ll get more here too, but it can’t stick around this time. The joke at home in Syracuse is that we have 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad skiing. No hockey for the kiddo this morning and I could have slept in, so what did I do? Yup…went running. Actually Canada J wanted to get her miles in earlyish and that’s good enough for me. We ran together for 8 miles and then I added 4 back to my house for a nice 12 miles at 8:40 pace overall. It was 40º at 7 a.m. when we headed out and 52º on the return loop. The hockey reprieve isn’t permanent as evaluations for next year are held next week and then the kiddo is playing Spring hockey (just three on three) until the end of June. It was nice not to rush around though yelling: “Have your jerseys? Grumble, moan….Have your mouth guard?….. groan moan,…..Fill your water bottle?….Aw Mo-O-M” Oh and the tooth saga…..turns out I need a crown---broke the tooth and filling. Foo! Two more steps to go….. Good luck to all the racers this weekend! Mainerunnah----I hope Eastern States goes well for you. The weather last year was glorious, but I have run that race in the rain too and all was well. One of my running partners (Iron J) will be up there to run it. Her parents live on the NH coast, so it’s a combination trip and great workout pre-Boston. This is also the race where I meet Deez4boys. What a difference a year makes! Go MP! Hi WRFB! Maybe your body is just saving up for tomorrow.
              Good morning everyone. Like Slo_Hand, we're supposed to get 4-7 inches of snow here today, so I got out early. 11 miles at a comfortable 10:15 pace. It was one of those runs where everything just felt good - even though the last mile home was into a substantial wind. This was my first double-digit run outside since last fall and I can't imagine going back on a treadmill to do these anymore. There's just nothing like being outside, even in 24° temps with "brisk" winds. Big grin DH is on a golf weekend with some friends - got the house to myself. I'm going to rent some "chick flicks" and get Chinese take-out for tonight. Life is good... Good runs to all, and best of luck to the racers out there this weekend.

Hill Runner

Good morning gang. A rest day for me. I ran 110 miles in the last 2 weeks so I'm being cautious and taking a break today. Most likely my last 20 miler before Boston is on tap for tomorrow. It's a rainy,dreary day here & I'm playing around with Microsoft's new Windows 7 OS Beta...pretty cool. BYW, where is Perch? Karin, I've got a great dentist & I really like him BUT I always maintained that the real pain in going to the dentist is what it does to your wallet...or pocketbook in your case. Smile Good run to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Karin, I've got a great dentist & I really like him BUT I always maintained that the real pain in going to the dentist is what it does to your wallet...or pocketbook in your case. Smile
                  So true, so true! My pocketbook gasped and then wept most of the way home.....$1,300 and no dental insurance. Ah well. As my 98 year-old Super Granny says: Just be grateful you have teeth---she is down to just ten of her own. Big grin
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Karin, sorry to hear about your dental expense. We're in the same boat. DH has had one crown and needs another. I looked into dental insurance a couple of years ago, but it was expensive and didn't seem to pay enough towards dental bills to make it worthwhile. A fun but hard 3.0 miles this morning. Very humid! I ran with DD10. It's the first time she's run in months. She jabbered the whole way. Towards the end, she said, "Well, I'm still not tired!" The last quarter mile, she decided to run faster. Afterwards, she said, "When I do my kick, it almost feels like I'm not doing anything - I just GOOO!! It's like my muscles are working without telling my brain." It looks as if 2 of my 3 kids are natural runners. Confused Still baffles me. It's such hard work for me!
                      Have barely even scanned the dailies the past two days. All-day rehearsal yesterday was exhausting, but very satisfying. Looking forward to tomorrow's performance. Ran 7 this morning, squishing innumerable worms in the process. Rained overnight, just cloudy now. Knee feels good; well, as good as ever, anyway. My left knee has always been a little tricky. Won't make my weekly mileage goal unless I sneak in at least 3 either early tomorrow morning or between church rehearsal/service/rehearsal and drive to PA for the concert, but will definitely make my goal for March. Only one week until spring break - I'm more excited about extra running time than the break from school! Shocked Good races, runs, and rest, all! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

CNYrunner as my DW would say so long as you are alive there is hope things will get better! I am not dead yet, and I plan to see you at a race sometime again. As I blow by of course! Big grin P.S. On the up side of that dental bill is that at least these days they can fix problems like yours these days. If you think of the money as having been spent on something worthwhile and that will make you happy long into the future perhaps the cost will seem less, err, costly. dg. morning to you too. Like you my DW mentioned how her run (which was this morning) was her best in a long while. I suspect spring's arrival might be the culprit. Well, that and working at it! Wink SueT48 and I thought only my town had races at odd distances. Woods Lady welcome to RA. Econo it will be nice to meet you in person in a bit over a month when I head out to Oregon.. Who knows maybe I will even be able to run again and will get a chance to accompany you on a short jog. Alas, I think that HM I had hoped run the weekend of the Eugene Marathon while I was out there is not going to be on my schedule. mainerunnah that was a heck of a climb yesterday around mile 7! Is that raw from the Garmin or after an elevation correction. If it was the latter it looks like running up and down a cliff! Ok, I cannot post a run but I can post my weekly muffin creation. This week I brought over to the jogging club some made with strawberries and another batch with bananas both of which had toasted pecans. They were both a a big hit, but in my humble opinion the banana ones were awesome! I am also happy the muffins all went since it is better that we do not have too many around the house during the week. No running = no eating. Sad but true. I did get to the gym for my every other day workout. As for running, my DW was off with the club this morning and reported that for the first time since January her legs and feet were pain free. She had tweaked her ACL while skiing and it looks like it and the subsequent damage done by compensating for it are now all healed up. So some good news on the health front around my house. Happy spring running everybody!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Good morning folks! Deep breathing and slight stretches seem to reduce stitches for me too. I ran my hills last night and was looking for an easy 6 or 7 today, but the club was going 8.5 so off we went. The pace was faster than I had planned and with more hills (I can't enter the LR tomorrow too tired). Unfortunately a dog followed us for about a mile and when we got to a busy road we grabbed him. He was wandering in front of cars etc. We called the owner, but he didn't have a car at the moment, so we ran it back a mile to meet him. I got a bit of a rest for a few minutes, but 10 was much more than I had wanted today. Tomorrow's nasty weather will likely make it a 'character building' long run. oh joy :-P Enjoy your runs today!
                          -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                          also on Twitter
                            steve, nice picture you posted the other day. With a setting like that, it doesn't matter what else is happening, life is good. bike, I'd say it appears that there's never a dull moment at your work place with you around. I'm sure everyone appreciates it. CNY, sorry to hear about the tooth problem and the cost. I hope you get fixed up soon. WoodsLady, welcome MaEcono. Post often. PJH, I hope you have progress healing after your treatment. Nice long runs for breger (with tumble and road rash), WRFB, srlopez, maine, Holly, and CNY. This morning, it was about 30° and a little bit of wind. I got in 11 miles (longest since mid Nov) in a bit over 1:46 for a 9:38 pace. About mile 3, I saw my pace was about 10 min/mi and about mid way it was in the mid 9:50s. I was satisfied as that's consistent with what I've been running and would hope for on a long run. The last mile got hard and the last half mile real hard. When I saw my overall pace had dropped to 9:38, I figured that sort of explained it. Upon checking my mile splits, I found that, starting with mile 6, I had an unintentional progression run with the last mile at 8:38, a full minute below my average pace. No wonder I felt like I was going to die at the end. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                            Slo

Hi eliz......Good luck with the performance! I just checked out the Radar......Looks like I have an hour or so before the crappy weather hits....it's not windy yet but we're supposed to see some pretty good winds. So I'm gonna buttin things up here at work, sneak in a nice easy 3, Go to early Mass tonight, take whatever family is home out for Mexican and see what tomorrow has in store. Good running everybody !!! MTA: Twocat.....I love bananas.....that is until they turn black. Thats when they get turned into breads! I made some muffins that started with whole cranberries.....I was afraid they would be tart but they turned out great......so much infact that the kids had asked for them again. Tom, you might be getting some of this weather we'll be seeing in a little bit.
                                SLO_HAND I have made cranberry ones too and they are indeed really good! I do find them a bit tart though but add some apple butter and . . . ah the memories! Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/