Masters Running

Sunday is the 11th (Read 35 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

hiya!

had to pop in and congratulate Erika on the AG win and wave at Holly, who finished after having doubts.

more later

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Nice going EK and Holly!

jlynne, the Saint is now doing run/walk combinations and eases off if she feels discomfort. Today she ran/walked 7, so she was happy with that. I ran 8 with a friend who is way faster than I am, so he jogged along while I ran about 9:49 pace.

Rangers, Cowboys, Giants (football) all on tap today for me.  May set a record for TV watching.  A shame because it's a gorgeous day here.  Spareribs

New skirt in town

An easy 5 miles in the dark this morning and then got my son and his cousin to their cross-country race. Did a brisk 1.8-mile course walk and then ran back and forth to watch them run their races from various vantage points. Will ran in the 11-14 yo race, while Roman ran in the 8-10 yo race. They did GRETA, and I'm so proud of them!

I have a ballroom dance lesson later this afternoon, and then I'm resting up for my 18-miler tomorrow.

Glad to hear the Saint is rehabbing, and congrats to Erika! And brava, Holly!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Sad day at the twocat house.    Our bad news California Golden Bears lost to Utah last night.  So once again ends the dream of a Rose Bowl appearance during our lifetimes.  Their last trip was in 1958.  DW went out for a walk to burn off some of the disappointment.  Since my hip flexor did not complain last night or this morning I may try running a few miles tomorrow.  DW plans to do 8 I am not going anywhere near that long.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

although I don't seem to know anything about it either,

me too about the goddesses marathons and others

this morning’s planned 22 mile total out-and-back cycle under sunny skies, fallen leaves and fall colors here in the PNW (brown) almost fizzled but rejuvenated with a blueberry muffin Larabar and finally used some ClifShot orange recovery drink mix I got at some expo ten or twelve years ago.  Five minutes slower on each leg than when in triathlon shape this summer.

Speaking of triathlons, though my first-and-only Ironman Hawaii was exactly 28 years ago on 10/10/87 and now my IM mentor's 25 repeats seem to be over with eye surgery that kept him out this year.  In the meantime, his 85-yo nemesis finished in 15:59:41 with an hour to spare. Even my last ones at Coeur d"Alene ten years ago in my early sixties were barely under the 17-hour cutoff.  wow.  .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good running to today's racers too:

...10/11 Ileneforward - Long Beach Marathon, LB CA

...10/11 Hemerocallus - Chicago Marathon

...10/11 Coastwalker - Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH

thnax and a tip of the hat to ilene's intrepid event calendar

Congratulations also to Erika and Holly!

Recovering today from a very long day yesterday -- about 22 hours from leaving the hotel in Venice to arriving home yesterday evening. And on top of that, I came down with a cold -- fortunately not until the last hours of the trip -- and spent the flights home suffering a good deal from air pressure effects and going through a ton of kleenex. Overseas flights are cramped and uncomfortable as it is these days without the added discomfort. But overall it was an amazing trip and I'd do it again in a minute (just not right now, please!).

I assume I'll eventually get back to running, although at this particular moment that doesn't seem imminent. 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

moebo

Congratulations to Holly and Erika--but I think I need a recap of the details, please!

Also, looking forward to hearing how all of the other racers fared this weekend.

And congratulations to Robin's little guys--racing already, awesome!

7.1 miles for me today, felt great. The autumn colors were spectacular--I felt really lucky to be able to run.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

I made it home in about 7 hours of driving, including stops for gas and food, which means I was speeding almost the entire way - (shhhhhh).

it sure was a great trip, though, with my brother out from Virginia to share the weekend, and visiting with Erika and her DH  and Lou and Harriett.  The amazing thing about this group is that years can go by in between meetings and yet when you see each other again it is like no time has gone by at all.

I drove through torrential rains to get there Friday, but Saturday dawned clear and cool, 49 degrees at the start and 64 at the finish, but with a nice breeze.  The course for Freedom's Run Marathon has a lot of flat when you run along the river, but around mile 15 there are some rolling hills through battlefields, but it was absolutely beautiful, the sky as blue as could be and monuments and plaques lining the roads.  It was really a lovely race.  I finished in 4:52:55, 232/341 OA, 81/133 Female, 16/31 AG, which was better than I had hoped, given how little running I have done since my friend Carissa's 100 miler 4 weeks ago.  Erika, after running a marathon only a week before, won her age group and beat her time from last week!  That woman is amazing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Holly--you are amazing, too!

Speaking of amazing...Amy...didn't you run a marathon, yesterday, too?

Oh...and, how about Karin?  Chicago?

Don't these people know that we sit here waiting to hear how they did?

Well...while waiting...I went and did 8.2 miles in 1:04:46.  77o felt really hot.

I have an old Air Force friend who lives in Pennsylvania...about a 2 hour drive from DC.  He's been battling cancer over the last couple of years.  I've watched and have been in contact through posts on Facebook.  He has two daughters and...(I think) 4 grandkids.  It's been amazing to see how his family has been supporting him and the love that they clearly have for him.  Anyway--I'm going to go visit him, while I'm in DC...I'm looking forward to it.

Okay--I have a sermon to write...while I wait on some race reports.  See ya!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yet another weekend proving what amazing women we have hanging around this place.  Still hoping for more reports, though.

mike--isn't it a little late on Sunday to be writng a sermon?

Welcome back, Doug.  glad you had a great trip and cold timing.

6.3 miles this morning on yet another IRC day.  Probably should have been more, but the legs felt a little tired for most of the run.  I did manage a nice fast finish after I got passed by another guy who didn't seem to be getting that far in front of me.  So I used him as a rabbit and repassed him about a 100 yards from where I finished.  Last quarter mile was under 8.  Most likely means I should have gone farther.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I don’t know when I last posted, but I did remember Leslie mentioning pizza with Try salami, Brie cheese, and apricot jam – yum!

I want to work with Steve as well!

Easy run today and I will run, but not race Tufts 10K tomorrow

Henry and Marj – will you run Gobble X 3 this year?

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

moebo

Thanks for the details, Holly. Sounds like a really nice race! That downhill from miles 4 to 6 looks like fun, except maybe for your quads...

Erika, congratulations on your fist place AG finish!

I hope everyone else had great races, too.

Mike E

MM #5615

mike--isn't it a little late on Sunday to be writng a sermon?

Yes!  Even though it's for next Sunday, it's still late.  I don't know how pastors/priests/rabbis/whatever write a different sermon every single week!  I am really struggling with this one.  Right now, it's just a bunch of rambling with nothing making any sense!  And this is about the only night this week I'll be able to work on it.

I did, however, see on Facebook that Amy did very well...any surprise?  She's just getting tuned up for MCM in two weeks.

Yes--we have some amazing women in here.