Masters Running

40s On the Run - Our Dreams are Within Our Reach (Wk of 04/27/08) (Read 526 times)

Cherish your visions and your dreams as they are the children of your soul, the blueprints of your ultimate achievements. (Napoleon Hill) ------------------- Hope your Sunday is going well

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Still rain delayed so used the opportunity to get in a 9 mile LS run. Ties my record distance from last summer and ran a little faster despite conditions. Smile We had rain and snow yesterday and snow last nite so county road surface a little soft but not real muddy but cold conditons still prevailed with a stiff nw wind and 38 degrees at run time. At mile 3, I was struggling into the wind, so stopped for water and did a Gu, cruised from there on out. It got easier when I turned and the headwind became a crosswind then hit the pavement in town at mile 8 and did another mile on the streets of my little town. Cruised into the convenience store and couldn't resist a fresh donut Evil grin (just 1) and a coffee. Lynda was in town already , so she came and picked me up and brought me a gatorade. Thanks Leslie for starting us off, have a super week fabulous fit forties folks!!! Big grin

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Smile Nice lead off Leslie! Smile love N.H....amongst others hanging out on my bookshelf! Having a great Sunday so far!! (I'm ignoring the fact that I'm still lost in registration zone per Cherry Creek Sneak!- but it looks like folks @ Active put my profile back online so, I maybe won't have this issue next wknd... Tongue ) DH & I ran the CCS this am...they ran the 5K @ 8am, then a couple of the kids races & elites then the 5M @ 9:15...so, my goal was to "warm up" on the 5K w/DH ~ running easy, then "tempo" the 5 mile (as much as you can in a field of 3,000 run/walkers!) Oops! We got there late, thereby missed hooking up w/RA Denver folks & then got hijacked by another couple we know doing the 5K (new engagement! Yay!)....BIG CROWD!! we needed cell phones to stay "hooked up!" DH (after much joking around about "I'm gonna DIE!") ran an easy 10:09 pc Confused I'm the one that had to take a "breakfast is talking back to me" walk-break!! Then had to figure out how to get outta the cattle gates (w/o giving up my chip) to get water & walk about till time for the 5M....they handed out shopping bags to wander the various booths collecting goodies...which DH then "ran" to the car (@ mm 2) & back to the beer corral (taking the shortcut still gave him a couple more miles!) after I'd grouped up (not much "lining" up in such a crowd Roll eyes ) for the 5M...my only goal is "don't walk!" & to keep it as steady as possible..Oh! & don't get hurt!... damned near yardsaled it in a pothole during the 5K! which led to a plethora of joking from several around me that that could potentially take out thousands in domino effect! lol!.... Mission accomplished! According to Garmin av pc for the 5M~ 10:18 (10:33, 10:05, 10:07, 10:15, 10:32)...av HR 161..good nuf!...got me some more bananas, bagels, water & Propel & headed for the beer corrall! ~ nope! I'm not one of the elites!! (not even close!!) but I feel pretty good getting 8 miles @ what's a really good steady pace for me!! I just gotta watch that I don't let the crowd pace take over what I know I can manage! I'll bet next wknd is flat gonna kick my butt!! Now I'm nursing a beer headache! minor one! tow bere's'll do that to me! Blush good excuse to watch DH install the new dishwasher! Big grin stove went in Friday Smile Ciao! Cindy
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Racing through this game called life. Great quote Leslie, and there's alot of back slapping to do here! Cool Great races for Jewels, Carol(and Dfamily), and Cindy! Wow! You are some fast Women!! Shocked Jim- Nice going on that LR and I'm still cracking up about your hands! All 4 of em! Leslie-we're up next...... My last LR before mega-raceday could not have gone better.50* and cloudy at 8:30 this am when I took Buddy for a warmup. Ditched him after that and did an impressive 11.4 @ 9:08 pace,going faster the entire way.This was on uneven dirt roads with a couple of hills(nipples to you western folks) thrown in for good measure. Next Sun's 1/2 is flat as a pancake ,by the beach,and very crowded. I ran all winter with a full marathon on my mind. As fate would have it,instead of going into the full probably worn ,tired and intimidated,I'm going into the half with a ton of confidence.I'll do once around the loop this year,twice around next. C ya's Yes

Queen of 3rd Place

r2, Cindy and Joe - great runs! Leslie's right, our dreams are within our reach! Joe - when's the race, a couple weeks from now? I have a good feeling... Big grin Can't believe it's still so cold in most of the country!! Shocked We got a sudden heat wave (already!!) today and I tanked on my long run, had to run/walk the last 1.5 mi, started to feel a liitle woozy...guess I'm just not acclimated yet, and it was already almost 80F when I left. Angry Looks like pre-dawn running season is already here, ugh... Arla

Ex runner

Just checkin' in before I hit the hay for the nite. Ya'll are just impressive beyond words! Very inspiring! Here are some pics I took when we went for a drive today. This is up, over, and down into the Mattole Valley. The pine needles on this tress were incredibly long: One of the few black beaches in California, just outside Petrolia. The fog was rolling in fast. Was expecting to see Adrienne Barboe (sp??) running down the road: Ah! Spring!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Arla - We must've been posting at the same time last night. 80F - at what time? Ugh! Stay hydrated, my friend. Okay, I have to brag a little bit. Set a PR on my 5-mile run this a.m. Completed in 49:34 with an average 9:50 pace. Woo Hoo! I screwed up my Garmin, but I know it said I had a best pace somwhere around 7:35 at one point. Big grin Big grin I am tickled to death! Especially since I felt like my legs were tired and heavy, and this included two short walk breaks to down 6 oz of fluids and very brief slow down for a stop light. I then did all 8 of my hill sprints with my Llama Love watching over me. Are we still talking about meeting up somewhere next year for a run? Wasn't one of them at Bryce Canyon (beautiful!)? Carol - are you the one who had the link? If so, can you post it again, and I'll be sure and check it out this time. I think it'd be a hoot to meet you guys after all this time. Okay - Have a great week! Cool

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Nice quote to start the week with. We've been having a little heat wave here that I spent all weekend digging, splitting, planting and weeding. I'm a little sore now. It's raining now so I'll have a little break and hopefully everything I moved won't die. Great race reports Jewels, Cindy and Carol and nice long run Jim. It sounds like you and your wife work very hard. We have a large vegetable garden but it's not nearly as labor intensive as your farm. Jack planted red potatoes over the weekend and our asparagus is coming up already. Leslie-Congrats on your PR this morning and nice pictures. I took some pictures last week and haven't gotten around to downloading them yet. After a yucky run yesterday, I'm taking the day off. I need a new plan anyway-it's already in the works just not done yet. I hope everyone is having a good day! Kelly
                  If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                    Do any of you train with the Garmin 301 heart monitor? What are the pros and cons? If not and you use a monitor, same question applies? After reading lots of posts on HR training and talking with my friend, Karen, I think I've been convinced to give it a try.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - (nice 5 miler, by the way) - I LOVELOVELOVE my Garmin 301! Once every so often it malfunctions and either gives me funny heartrate readings (spikes or loses the signal), and a couple of times the GPS has gone wonky and started either subtracting distance or adding it way too fast (I had a 10 miler read at 17 and I knew it was 10 - made for a helluva good pace readout!). You can set it up to display 1, 2, 3 or 4 data points at a time (mine is on time elapsed, heartrate, distance covered and time of day - there are several others from which to choose). The numbers with 4 fields are large enough for me to read without reading glasses, but when you review your data in "History" mode, I have to get the magnifying lenses out. It has an instantaneous pace function but it's a little tricky to set up right. Are you going to start watching your heartrate, or is this for your race to keep track of distance? And yeah, 9:45 already 80F, crazy... Arla

Ex runner

Are you going to start watching your heartrate, Arla
                        Yes. After reading many posts and talking with my friend, Karen, I've decided to give a try. It seems to work really well for people, and Karen said she saw a significant upturn in her running after training with a monitor over the past year.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

fattozig....those are beautiful photos
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            ... If not and you use a monitor, same question applies? After reading lots of posts on HR training and talking with my friend, Karen, I think I've been convinced to give it a try.
                            I have been training for a few years with a HRM, using a Polar of one kind or another. There are 2 levels of HRM functionality that make sense to me: 1) Very basic. Displays the HR so you can look at it. Any other features like zone limit alarms or memory are ok but not such a big deal. Mainly, you just look at it to see your HR. Probably < $50. 2) has download-to-computer capability with enough memory to store runs of many hours (10 or more) with data captured every 5 seconds, e.g. sw should provide graphical displays which allow you to really analyze how you're doing. etc, etc... imho, anything more than #1 which isn't at the level of #2 is not worth having. i know a guy who had one without download capability, and getting the data out by hand was too much of a pain... you could do like i did - start out with a simple one, and then if you like using it and want more sell it off cheap to a needy soul and upgrade to a better model. $50.="" 2)="" has="" download-to-computer="" capability="" with="" enough="" memory="" to="" store="" runs="" of="" many="" hours="" (10="" or="" more)="" with="" data="" captured="" every="" 5="" seconds,="" e.g.="" sw="" should="" provide="" graphical="" displays="" which="" allow="" you="" to="" really="" analyze="" how="" you're="" doing.="" etc,="" etc...="" imho,="" anything="" more="" than="" #1="" which="" isn't="" at="" the="" level="" of="" #2="" is="" not="" worth="" having.="" i="" know="" a="" guy="" who="" had="" one="" without="" download="" capability,="" and="" getting="" the="" data="" out="" by="" hand="" was="" too="" much="" of="" a="" pain...="" you="" could="" do="" like="" i="" did="" -="" start="" out="" with="" a="" simple="" one,="" and="" then="" if="" you="" like="" using="" it="" and="" want="" more="" sell="" it="" off="" cheap="" to="" a="" needy="" soul="" and="" upgrade="" to="" a="" better="" model.=""></ $50. 2) has download-to-computer capability with enough memory to store runs of many hours (10 or more) with data captured every 5 seconds, e.g. sw should provide graphical displays which allow you to really analyze how you're doing. etc, etc... imho, anything more than #1 which isn't at the level of #2 is not worth having. i know a guy who had one without download capability, and getting the data out by hand was too much of a pain... you could do like i did - start out with a simple one, and then if you like using it and want more sell it off cheap to a needy soul and upgrade to a better model. >
                              Wow! Thanks for starting us off Leslie....really nice pics. What a great run that you had this morning. Brag all you want. How did your back feel Sunday after Saturdays trail run? I've heard alot of good things as well with that HR training. Really makes alot of sense if ya think about it! r2-Nice LR you had there. Expecially in cold, muddy and windy conditions. You deserved that donut! Arla-Wow, your weather is almost as warm as ours. It can really sock it to ya if your not prepared. About all I can do now is get up and do a.m. runs. Our office is getting audited tomorrow so I gotta go in extra early to prepare so no run tomorrow. Will try something on Wed. Great job on your runs. Good luck with the a.m. ones! Cindy-Your posting are too funny. Great pace you had this weekend. A 5k then a 5 miler. Way to go....ya, I had a nice cold beer right after my 5k as well. Awwww, refreshing. joe-Yep, you and Leslie got races coming up in May. Your gonna do great. Have fun and stay focused. Kelly-Your garden sounds lovely! Here's to a new "plan of attack"! Jewels
                              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Ahhhhhhsome shots Leslie! Smile Yes http://www.brycecanyonhalfmarathon.com/ I have a Garmin 305 w/HR monitor....(info geek that I can be! Roll eyes ) @ my present stage of things, it might just be a bit of overkill on the subject BUT! I do love it!! tracking how well I'm doing (or not!) HR, speed, elevation, calories burned, splits, GPS (case I git lost!!) virtual partner, preloaded training plans, etc. lots of stuff I haven't yet used....but it's my toy & I intend to play w/it till it dies!! then git another one! Big grin R2: remember that mud come August! Wink nice LR! You too Joe! You Rawk! &{{{{{{{{ Good Luck to you on Sunday!!!}}}}}} Kelly: Do you plan to rest at all?!? or just "re-boot?!" Arla & Jewels: take it easy easing into the heat! I'm actually looking fwd to it being a more "reasonable" temp to run @ 5am!! more reasonable than 2* F!! Laters......
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group