Masters Running

and now it's Sunday.......... (Read 36 times)

...to paraphrase Bette Midler in The Rose

''where'd everybody go?''

=================

and why wasn't I invited??

40's here,

60-min bike ride.....7-up and 7-down,

bundled up to Break a Sweat ,,,Leg and Cold feel better

but

now The Dryer quit working.......

probably explains that BlackCloud that has been following me since I signed up for Medicare

..........even so, Good Running Guys......

.....................evrey so often it helps to cast your Eyes Skyward (or more likely Downward)

and yell

''Is That All You Got??''..

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Mornin' Tom, and those to follow.

TW, I'm glad your leg and cold are better, and I'm sorry that the dryer isn't. A lot of people have worse names for Medicare than 'a black cloud...' Just the process of figuring out what it is all about and how it works is, well, it's like trying to figure out the federal government.

I had hoped to do a long workout yesterday, but it just didn't turn out as I planned, so I only got 4 miles in the books. However, I did a lot wood splitting and stacking cross-training, so the day wasn't a loss. It rained while I was in mid-stacking, so I sat on a bucket in the carport for a while till it slowed down enough for me to resume. We had steak and roasted veggies on the grill, which was a great way to finish the day.

13.2 RW miles at 4:15 this morning. It was 53, cloudy, and very windy. My legs were tired from yesterday's cross-training, but I persevered and got it done. Then I stretched, showered, had some breakfast, and headed out to today's racewalking training session. We had a good turnout, including a newbie, and a woman who has RW'd marathons all across the country, and who now wants to improver her speed for shorter races. So I had her do some quick-step drills and speed segments while I worked with the newbie. Fun stuff. Now I get to start moving some downed leaves around in some nice sunny, windy, cool Fall weather. I'll be sleeping well tonight...

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

I don't know what is complicated about Medicare. You go to the doctor and after the visit instead of paying anything, you simply walk out the door.

14 slow, plodding miles for the Saint and me at the Lake, another 20 mile weekend.  Now it's football and a nap for me.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Jay, we have to get you to sunny SWFL to hold a racewalking seminar.  We need more folks interested in it; there's certainly a critical mass of potential RWers!

tw, ok, so hook up the dryer to the bike, and use the bike on the road in lieu of the car.  Adopt a pet.  These will change your karma back to positive again.

lame, seriously?  I think I went to Bkrpy Ct once in my life and found it akin to what I imagine Old Clubs  in England to be.

Manchester Marathon sounds interesting.....(I did the Clarence)......so does Detroit.....I really ought to do that one, being my home town and all.  Just afraid it would make me sad.

Where IS everyone?   Hi tet and Mike, and the plodding Ribses.  Bet it's not so much (plodding).

Well, our running mom who pushes her daughter with CP in races did their first 10 miler today.  The DD is 8, so not a lightweight any more, but they flew along anyway, finishing 4th among the women.  I loped along behind, just in awe.  My time was1:15:30 (38:43 at the halfway point); I was 5th but scooped up the Master's gift certificate since the swifter ladies were prettier and younger.  And way more inspiring.

We benefitted from lovely running weather this weekend.  At the Sanibel 10K yesterday, the female winner was a lovely young lady who is training for her first marathon.  She flatters me by asking for advice now and again.  She is a fabulous mom who just recently started running--she sometimes looses her cookies before a race due to nerves.   This will end soon, I predict!   She is blossoming into a strong, exceptional runner.   I was the 3rd woman but the lady just ahead was 42 so I was content with the Grandmaster's Trophy.  That took 43:56 (22:21 at the halfway point).

And I managed to lose my watch (the regular one, not the Garmin) somewhere along the ways, but managed a trip to Trader Joe's as the race today was in Naples, where is also TJ's.  Modified to add:  twocat, where I got some most excellent and inexpensive cheese!

Hope to get n some pool time......sometimes, it feels as if I'm retired, even tho I work 40 hrs/week!

grins and Happy Sunday,

A

note Reverse Taper...even with warm up miles, only 22 miles for all of Sat and Sun.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

My wife's back surgery on Friday went well.  The surgeon was happy with how his part went.  Yesterday, a physical therapist evaluated her and was pleasantly shocked at how well she was moving.  They released my wife from the hospital yesterday about noon.  We are in Kalamazoo which is a good 3 hours from home.  We ended up here because one of my wife's best friend is a nurse on the neuro floor of the local hospital.  She takes care of patients after surgery and was familiar with, and recommended,  the surgeion who did the work.  We're staying with the friend for a couple days so my wife is getting professional follow up care and a good visit.  We haven't determined when we will tackle the ride home.  I wouldn't rule out tomorrow as a possibility.  My wife still has pain from the surgery and probably will for a while, but she's moving around pretty well.

tet, I'm sure you are enjoying your visit with your daughter and grandson.  tomw, sorry to hear about the continuation of the jinx.  Aamos, conrats on 1st masters in your race.  Also, great job by your friend pushing her daughter.

Nice long runs for wild, Twocat, Holly, lame, Jay, ribs and The Saint. Good job onthe speedwork for ribs and The Saint.

This morning, it wa about 30 F and almost calm.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:20 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

mrrun

Tselbs - good news about your wife's surgery.  thanks for letting us know.

We ran a local 3 mile race today - spontaneous for me, but Henry signed up last week.   Good weather, easy course, and lots of friends to catch up with.  Henry was faster then his June race, but no age group awards as he was competing against 70 yo kids.

General Shout outs to everyone!

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Guess it's a slow weekend for posting.

My excuse is that I had to get ready to go to a baptism and after party as soon as I finished.  but I did do a decent long run--16.6 miles in a bit under 3 hours.  generally happy with it, but a little more walking than I might have liked.  And then the Garmin and/or RA log managed to bollox up the upload and all my data went away.  fortunately I have become somewhat paranoid about the ability to get the upload to work, so I wrote down the mileage and time before I tried.  I'm still getting a bunch of phantom runs in a lot of uploads.

TomS--glad your DW's surgery went well and recovery is progressing.

Nice "easy" weekend, Amy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

icom100

Hi all,

Took today off as is my custom. Let the legs and bones recoup. Gonna try to get to bed early tnite. Gotta be up at 4:10 to get ready for work.

Can't wait till Im old enough not to have to wake up...well, early anyway.

B

My last run here. 90 minutes on the Skyline Loop, just easy and reflective.

Erika, saw you at the social but sorry that I didn't get to say bye. Got there a little late and then I looked around afterward you were already gone. Congrats on the series top 4 and 8/8 for the age group wins. They should have recognized you and Dan for that. And omg, how many times in 5 minutes can she mispronunce your name! Good running and good luck with upcoming races. We will catch up later! I will be back in 2 mo and again in the spring.

wildchild

Carolyn

TW - you sure are having a string of  bad luck!  Maybe you should pass on buying that lottery ticket for now...

Aamos, wow!  Two speedy races this weekend!  Do you ever take a whole rest day?  Do you ever only run just once in a day?

Tselbs, hope you're taking extra good care of your DW as she heals up from surgery.  Glad it went well.

Nice long run, Stumpy.

Trackrat, are you coming to Colorado now, or is that later?  Hope to meet you once you get here!

I ran a 15k trail race today, called Beware the Bear, and won my AG, out of 5, I think.  Nice day for it - cloudy and cool at the start, and getting sunny and hot just at the end.  I was about a minute slower than last year, but the course reversed directions this year, so not sure how that affected it.   Here's my award:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wildchild, yes and at this time tomorrow I may ask myself-Well...How did I get here? And other existential questions.

Look forward to meeting you in Colorado!

I am not sure why there are so few posts today.  Everybody is just busy with their families I guess.

AamosY cheap cheese can be good!  I think that the cost often just reflects whether or not the cheese is made by a small family farm (expensive) or a larger operation.  Of course, none of this applies to the super mass market stuff that tastes like plastic!  But the plastic stuff is cheap!

wildchild oh what a scary bear!  Beware!  Beware!

tselbs bes wishes to your DW on her continued speedy recovery.

tomwhite after yesterday I guess it is good news your computer is still working today!

Mike E you do plumbing!  Have I got a job for you!

Today was my final 20 mile run.  It was 5 at my normal out for a run pace, then 10 at hoped for MP pace and a final 5 at out for a run pace.  I would say daily run pace but alas I cannot run every day and have hamstrings.  All went quite well!  Now all just has to go quite well during my taper and then the race!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TW - you sure are having a string of  bad luck!  Maybe you should pass on buying that lottery ticket for now...

...it's too late//............due to a typo I owe them 4-million dollars.......

.....hey, nice Racing......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hey all -- as always lots going on around this joint!!

Hope Holly is enjoying her vacation in Mexico!!

We spent last night camping in the RV lot at Mohegan Sun in CT.  Wen to see Aussie Pink FLoyd with my dh and 2 other couples.

I did manage to get in my 20.2 miles yesterday morning and an ice bath before we went tho!!  My Coach had me running this at a slower than marathon pace run and it was a challenge ....my legs felt sluggish at times and while some of my miles were faster than she wanted, my overall pace came in right on target.  Getting interesting - 5 weeks til Philly!!

Wish I could shout out to all, but I have nothing left in the tank!!

Here's wishing you all a wonderful week ahead!!

denise

Mariposai

So, Holly is in Mexico, but Spareribs is still in the USA?

Great running to all. Impressive racing to many.

Aamos, you are an inspiration.

Twocat, I will be watching you during taper time.

Lamerunner, it is great  to see you running well. Good luck at work.

Stumpy, look at you...running long distances as if they were 10 milers.

Wildchild, cute award.

Tselbs, I am so glad to hear that your wife's surgery went well. Thanks for reporting us about the result.

MikeE, I thought of your sermon last weekend while listening to our pastor's sermon today.

Henrun and Marj are my idols, I love them. Great job on your race today.

A Track, your last 90 minutes of running there? Where is there?

ICom 100, butterfly hugs for resting today. Everyone who truly rest for a day gets a butterfly hug from the mariposai runner.

Denise, you will rock your next marathon.

Well, I did my last long run before my 50k trail run this coming weekend. 18 miles that went badly on the last 9 miles. Great company for the first few miles, but then the engine just ran out of energy. I did not eat well in the morning and going out for a 3:30 hours run on very steep hills after noon with little food in the tummy was not a good idea. I was very stupid on how I planned this run and it came to hunt me. I did finished, but my body did let me know that we were energy deficient. I better rest up well all this week.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard