Masters Running

Saturday, April 25 Runs and Races (Read 33 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

I am heading out to run a 6K race this morning.  Generally I am a little fearful of doing anything that resembles speedwork for a couple of weeks after a marathon, so I won't be going all-out (not that all-out would be very fast right now), but since I have never raced a 6K race, this will be a PR regardless.  DS is coming along to volunteer, to get more volunteer hours for National Honor Society, and it will be fun to have him along.

Good luck to today's racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' Holly and everyone else.

Holly, can you hold yourself back in a race, once the gun goes off? I have a very hard time doing that. Good for you for taking a race volunteer with you! Great line to your boss about his birthday yesterday!

8.5 RW miles in 36F temps at the regular time this morning. I have a hilly 5K next weekend, so I worked my route this morning to add in as many hills as possible. It's tough to find hills in these flatlands! DW and I are going to our favorite dive for breakfast, and then I have this month's conservation commission site walks at 9am, so I'm outta here...

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

You will be pleasantly surprised at your result today Holly.  Good luck.

Ran 3 to get my 35 and the Saint ran 4 to get her 32 on a gorgeous morning in the park.

In my final quarter mile or so, this song came on my iPod and just lifted my spirits:

"Girl, to be with you is my favorite thing,
        And I can't wait 'til I see you again
        I wanna put on my, my, my, my, my
        Boogie shoes just to boogie with you."

Tonight is Hudson's Senior Prom and he now has just two weeks left of school. He's already in that stage of worrying about missing his friends once this all ends.  We think that's good, because it means he will put this thinking to good use as he wraps up his high school years, letting his friends and teachers know how much he appreciates their support.

And the Saint is going to an all day "Learn Bridge in a Day" program in Dallas and I am so excited for her.  Spareribs

Slo

It's been a couple of soggy days.

I hit the weights and did some strength training this morning. Maybe it'll let up this afternoon and I can sneak out for a quick run.

Sayhey! MM#130

Still morning here on the left coast!

Ran 4 with the group along the bay with fantastic views of harbor seals lolling on the rocks this am.  Ran into my old running chum Dean Karnazes in the lobby yesterday.   Lots of very speedy runners here, e.g., mom of 3/CPA who ran 3:08 at Boston.

Have fun with DS Holly and good luck to the Saint.  I want to take that course!

Might take a bus tour of the course just to stay off my feet today.

Happy day, all!

Grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike, good job by you granddaughters.  Thanks for the pictures.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and almost calm.  I did 6 miles at a 10:59 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

I ran a long run on the City Forest trails.  Anything in double digits is a long run for me and today's run was 10.3  Sunny, windy and upper 40's today felt good.

I've been spending a mega ton of hours at work trying to learn how to do a certain type of web interaction from our mainframe.  I did a lot of research, got the tools that I thought were best and even got permission to get a consultant to help.  (Anyway, this is the part I was trying to get to.)   My boss's boss, who used to be a programmer/developer got involved and was driving me crazy with suggestions. I kept thinking, this is what happens when a tech becomes a manager. But in the end, he was instrumental in getting over the last hurdle and now I feel bad for all those thoughts I was thinking for the past 10 days.   

Now to put a gift package together for Annabelle.  I like to surprise her every once in a while with more stuff from her favorite grandparent.

Happy Saturday everyone. Hope you're getting your chores done and things checked off the "honey do" list

So impressed that Karin is over the sore muscles from running Boston. Congratulations to Shorty for 4 years of sobriety. Coming from a family with many members who are alcoholics, I know how hard that battle is. Make sure you take lots of pictures tonight Ribs. Would love to see Hudson all decked out. Do the high school boys in Texas get their ties to match the color of their dates' dress like they do here? I've always wanted to learn how to play bridge. Maybe the Saint can give on-line lessons. Hope your race went well Holly, and nice of DS to volunteer. Good news that you got through your programming nightmare Dave. I'm pretty sure TomW is very happy he's selling his business. Hang in there, big guy!

Hi Slo! I ran with the Cellcom training group this morning. 11 miles on a painfully boring out-and-back route. And I sure am getting slow in my old age. Finished in a little over 1:45 which means that doing the half in under two hours is not going to happen. But turning 63 this year, I am very grateful for the gift and know how lucky I am to still be able to keep at this sport I enjoy so much.

Will, Ben and Nicholas just left. Off to clean up the mess from "hurricane grandsons"

wildchild

Carolyn

I went out intending to run 20 trail miles, but rolled my ankle within the first half mile!    It didn't seem too bad after a minute of walking, so I kept running, but by about mile 3 it really started to hurt.  So I stopped and put some snow on it for a while (see how handy it is to have snow in April?).  Then I ran/walked back to the car, 5.5 miles total.   It doesn't look very swollen, so I think it'll heal up quickly.

Made me think of this meme I saw recently, appropriate for Colorado!

Say hey, Amy!  Have a blast at Big Sur tomorrow!

Jlynne, under a 10 minute mile sounds pretty speedy to me!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Amy--didn't know you knew how to stay off your feet.  Enjoy Big Sur tomorrow.

Hope the 6K went well, Holly.  Bet you killed it.

Nice long for Dave and Jeanne.  I've lost track of what a double digit is.

I joined the running group out of marathon Sports this morning.  there were a couple of folks that said they were going into the woods, so thought I'd join them.  Since I'm doing a 25K trail race in a month, I figured it wouldn't hurt to actually run trails a couple of times at least.  Everyone took off so quickly that my Garmin didn't get a chance to catch satellites, so the distance was a rough estimate after it finally did, made rougher by the fact that I forgot to hit STOP when I got back to the store.  So I also captured the drive home afterwards.  Managed a nice pace.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Well jlynne, the boys are wearing tuxes, so I doubt there is any matching tie thing going on, but one thing the school encourages is an option to forgo the expensive mums for the ladies and instead make a contribution to a charity to help the needy. If you select this option, the couple gets a ribbon to wear, and year by year it is growing so it's now classier to wear the thin ribbon than to wear flowers.  I think that's pretty cool.  Spareribs

C-R

How'd the race goe Holly.

Nice run Jay.

Ribs - you and the Saint have been darn consistent of late in miles and days. Well done.

Sorry about the ankle Wild. Hope it mends quickly.

Amy hangs with a fast crowd. Seems appropriate. Good luck on the race tomorrow.

I know what you mean Dave. Sometimes managers actually can help. Mostly not.

So today was an easy 10 with one of my friends getting ready to race Dances with Dirt. Ended up running those in 7:51. So much for easy. Oh and it rained the whole time. 45 and rain. Hmmm. I seem to recall that one recently. Then it was off to three hours of soccer games in, you guessed it, the rain and cold. I've changed more clothes today than a runway model. Oh and wet underwear is the worst. So there.

Tonight we all voted on a fire in the fireplace and movie night. Democracy in action at our house.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn -     Btw, I just heard that Ohio will have the legalization of Marijuana option on the ballet this fall.  I am curious as to how it will go.

Ribs - that charity vs. flowers is such a nice idea!

Aamos - good luck tomorrow!

Okay, I actually did better than I thought I would today.  The race, as it turned out, was a 5.462K race, which make me think of Twocat's local races.  It was an out-and-back that was mostly downhill on the first half and mostly uphill coming back, but not terribly steep.  I was surprised and pleased with my even splits, each mile within a few seconds of the others.  I had been so sure I would crash and burn in the last mile.

I finished in 30:17 (8:54), which put me at 5/13 AG, 48/150 female, 149/317 OA.  I actually won an award, a wooden plaque cut in the same of a maple leaf (the race was call the Sugar Maple 5.462K).

The most fun thing about it was that it was a club race, part of the team series, and this year I am on a women's running team, so it was fun to meet up with my teammates - I think we had 9 of us there today.  The new age group I am in (50-54) is a tough one in this area - we have some very fast 50-something women, two of them are on my team, so I will likely never get better than 3rd AG, and that will be a lucky event if it happens.  Gives me something to work toward, though... 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Well done Holly!

And here is the young ham now, after putting on his tux.  He had to do a James Bond thing:

Spareribs

Mariposai

The young ham is just like his father. Love the big picture of the two boys in the background.

Tired, beyond exhaustion here, but mighty happy with another successful race of the Omak Orchards in Bloom. All the hours of preparation was worth it. The race went without a glitch and everyone had a great time. Off to be now. Another race day tomorrow.

Cheers,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard