Masters Running

Saturday, March 2th Daily (because someone had to do it) (Read 39 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Didn't run today, but at least a running related link for you to peruse.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/longform/2013/03/steve_prefontaine_fauja_singh_and_kip_litton_great_articles_about_runners.html

Haven't actually gone back to read any, but some are familiar.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

This morning I had a perfect race!  Have you ever had a race when you knew the whole time you would PR?  I've had a few and this was one of them.  My watch says 1:20:57 for the 15k and as you can see, I ran a pretty steady pace.

Pace & HR

I'm pretty sure I got 2nd in my AG, but the results were really messed up.  It's the same timing company that does almost all the local races, and there's never been a problem before that I'm aware of, but today, they kept posting conflicting results as more finishers came in.  First my name was up there as getting 2nd, then it was gone.  I asked before I left, and they said they straightened it out, but we'll see when they post it online this afternoon.  For a while, everyone who finished between 1:20 and 1:23 was missing.

I couldn't be happier!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

coastwalker

Mornin' Kevin, and all yet to post.

Didn't have time (my loss) to peruse the link.

5+ miles on the indoor track at our racewalking training session today. I got there early and got most of my mileage in before the troops started showing up, and did the rest with some of the other folks. We worked on starting to build a bit of endurance, since of of the others have slacked off for most of the winter, but now need to start gearing up for the outdoor racing season.

We're hosting a neighborhood party this afternoon, so I have to go make "salad on a stick."

Have a greta day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good morning Stumpy! Great article on running, but also a nice article on the Sequestration. Thanks for sharing!

Tetsujin, cool picture on the cover of the magazine. The posie family is planning to run Bloomsday again this year. Not sure about my DH walking the Yakima Canyon. I am not even sure he will be there. The more local marathons I tend to go alone, it saves him the pain of wasting the whole weekend.

Not sure what I am doing today. To go skiing, to bike or to run a recovery run, decisions, decisions, decisions. We are going out to a Mexican restaurant with some friends, then coming home to play table games, which will include some munchies, so I better burn some calories beforehand.

Enjoy your weekend!

Go Racers GOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03/02 jeffdonahue - Black Cat 10 miler, Salem, MA

03/02 Opie - Panera Jack Rector Beacon Run 15k, Oklahoma City, OK

03/03 Ileneforward - Spirit Run 5k, Newport Beach C

03/03 Twocat - Boston Buildup 25k. Norwalk, CT.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

New skirt in town

15 slooooow miles that weren't nearly as fun as my running last week in Mexico!  Got the job done at least!

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Whooppeee Opppiee!

Interesting send-off link stumps.

Kind of needs a Paul Harvey “rest-of-the-story” but, after running the Toronto Marathon in 8:11:06 (faster than three of mine,.. . so far) at age 100, Fauja Singh retired from official races with 1:32:28 10K (also faster than my slow ones over the years) associated with last week’s 2013 Hong Kong Marathon and Sammy Wanjiru (who used to run in Japan before his marathon gold in Bejing) dying from a 16' fall from the second floor of his house in Kenya reminded me of the 15' cliff I was egged on to jump off of by spectators at the bottom of the same Mt. Marathon in Seward, Alaska that Anchorage resident Michael LeMaitre disappeared on last summer in the final snippet. I can relate to that as another time, I ended me up in the hospital too.. No wonder I love running so much.
               http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauja_Singh
              http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/battered-mount-marathon-racer-and-rolling-savior-firefighter-honored

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

4 miles along the Charles in shorts this morning. It's not Mexico but it's a touch of early spring (before the next snowstorm hits us- this is New England).

New skirt in town

That article about Debbie Heald (from the first post) is so interesting and so sad..

-Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mike E

MM #5615

Congratulations Opie!  Very nice race!

YEAH Opie!!!  Yes, you nailed that one.  Savour it!

My first run in two weeks (other than occasional 4 city block-long sprints to catch the bus).  It went much better than I expected.  6.21 miles, and very hilly.  Nothing hurts.  I got the courage up to go meet total strangers in the local running club.  I went to the parking lot where the run was supposed to start from, and there was no one there.  I finally left to run the appointed route, wondering if they tend to start late, and maybe they would catch up to me on the route.  Came back, and still no cars.  Hmmmm.   Checked at home and I was a week early!!!  So I guess I'll be doing the same route next weekend!

Enjoy the gift

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Opie - great racing!

The plan for today called for a 9-mile pace run, but I’ve no idea what pace to be running, and I’m not sure if that is supposed to be 9 miles plus WU and CD or 9 miles including WU and CD, which would mean more like 7 pace miles embedded in a 9 mile run.  Hmm.  The last mile uphill to my house is never going to be anything but recovery-paced anyway.

I felt pretty good until about 4.5 miles, when I turned around into the wind.  Didn’t seem like much of a wind until I was running against it.   Plus I had to stop 2 times to walk by hissing, flapping geese.  I guess mating season has begun.

9.15 miles in 25 degrees and wind.  The first 7 miles were like this:

8:50

8:44

8:43

8:45

8:51

8:58

8:41

That’s as far as I made it before the wheels came off and the last two miles were very slow.  We’ll call this a tempo run.

DD’s team won this morning, so we go back at 5pm for the last game of the championship.  I did manage to get her 3-pointer on camera this time. Time to read the instruction manual on the new camera to figure out how to get the footage OUT of the camera…

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Great race, Opie, congrats!

And that was an excellent tempo run for you, Holly!

17 slow-ish miles for me, uninspired and somewhat sluggish, but I got the job done. These seem to be getting harder rather than easier, and I'm sure it's because of the hill workouts I'm doing the day before. And all my coach tends to say is "just wait!" She's so encouraging, ha. Wink

splits = 9:45, 9:34, 9:41, 9:41, 9:47, 9:49, 9:47, 9:33, 9:43, 9:53, 9:48, 9:41, 9:36, 9:45, 9:49, 9:51, 9:45 (9:44 avg)

Mike E

MM #5615

enke--that really sounds like something I would do.

Thanks, everyone!  From what I can tell in my Garmin data, I ran slightly negative splits, 40:41 and 40:16.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

...that is SO COOL//........when you KNOW you just ran The Perfect Race....

.........congratulations opie

===========

and for Contrast,

32min PoolRun..........trunks stayed on

that's as perfect

as a poolrun gets.

...................good running guys....................thanks for starting us stumpy......

ETA-

and Congratulations enke/////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....