Masters Running

Article on Recovery... (Read 261 times)

evanflein

A good article from the NYT that I thought was interesting. I like the last sentence. Real food... heh, who knew? http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/health/nutrition/05Best.html?pagewanted=1&th&emc=th
      I just finished reading this. Interesting article! I stopped using recovery drinks and energy drinks awhile ago because I got nauseous and they all taste gross to me. I also try not to eat food out of packages or that is labelled "food like" (hard to do since I LOVE potato chips). It's a lifelong experiment.
      Henrun

Yes, a very good article. I tend to eat whatever tastes good to me after a workout and usually don't get hungry for about an hour afterwards. But, real food is the best!
        huskydon

Thanks for sharing! Yes, this is a good article. This was my favorite line: “It does seem to me that as a group, athletes are particularly gullible.” I don't know that we are especially gullible, but we are trying whatever we can in order to facilitate our running. Oh, maybe we are gullible, then.... I myself am a big proponent of real food (like fig newtons Smile). I guess being cheap also helps me not to get into things like gu and supplements. Chocolate milk counts as real food, too, right? huskydon
            Sage advice from a source that I can't recall at the moment: "Never eat anything that your grandmother would not recognize as food".

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Good piece. Thanks for sharing. To me, this is a key line: "But, as so often happens in sports, those grains of truth have been expanded into dictums and have formed the basis for an entire industry in “recovery” products." I know there's lots of research out there on how advertisers influence media content. I would think the same holds true in the fitness industry. Advertisers (who support running magazines and web sites, sponsor athletes, give away all those freebies at big races, etc) help drive the buzz for these gimmicks.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good article. I'm not big on all those nutrition bars - except Luna bar. Love 'em! And as far as the sports drinks - yuck. A big ole glass of ice cold milk, a couple of eggs, some toast, a bowl of cereal, a bagel w/cc pr peanut butter - these are my after workout favorites (um, not all at once . . . Roll eyes )

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

... Chocolate milk counts as real food, too, right? ...
                  It had better count... including light chocolate soymilk and other home recipes with chocolate frozen yogurt and chocolate syrup added to milk...

Marathon Maniac #957

Yes, good article. I like this line: The American College of Sports Medicine, in a position paper written by leading experts, reported that athletes who take a day or two to rest or do less-intense workouts between vigorous sessions can pretty much ignore the carbohydrate-timing advice. Last training cycle, I tried to do the carb/protein ratio thing after my LR's, carefully making sure I ate within 20 minute of getting home, but I didn't notice any difference in recovery/replenishment. I've never been a big one for energy drinks or sports-nutrition bars (except I usually carry some type of Zone/granola/Fiber One bar in my purse for an emergency snack), but with the advent of hot, sweaty weather I may start with Gatorade again.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."