Masters Running

Equinox Report - Tales of A Wet Trackrat (Read 34 times)

Erika filled you in on the conditions so I'll refer you to her excellent post for those details, other than it was wet and muddy out there on Saturday.

This was my 5th EQ in 10 years here, and will be my last as a local resident. Last year I ran 3:17:20 under less than ideal cold temps and 5-6 miles of snow cover on the higher elevations. So my goal was to beat that because I felt I had at least a 3:15 in me last year and I was in similar shape this time, despite missing 2 weeks of key training in July from tendonitis in my knee.

Scrambled to the start, just in time--dealing with clothing and instructions for support crew. And women's favorite Christy Marvin came right up and asked if she could pace off me because she wanted to go after the women's record (held by my friend and co-XC coach Sue Faulkner). So we became instant friends. She and her husband went to Colorado State, where my wife and I had gone, and they have three boys we have two. We had a lot to talk about, and just chatted away for the first 9 miles. We were about 1 to 1.5 minutes off my pace from last year, but I wasn't too concerned, hoping to make that up over the last miles. Felt good through that stretch, but dreading the Dome thinking it would be rainy and windy (earlier forecasts called for 20 mpw winds on higher elevations). What we had was thick--disorienting fog on the ascent and I was glad to have the company. On the out and back Christy fell back a few steps, but was only a few seconds behind at the turn-around (15 miles), I began to focus on my own race and pace and caught a guy who'd been 30-40 seconds up on us in the early miles, and to move into the top 10 (I was about 12th overall).

I ended up changing my shirt and jacket three times (one good thing of that death march rainy 20 miler the other week was that I realized I'd need to change clothing to survive such conditions for 3+ hours). My support crew came threw wonderfully. By the time I reached the chute I was about 20 seconds ahead of last year's time. I had just caught that other runner, but he put me away on the chute as I took baby steps all the way, so he put on 30 seconds again. The going was rough because I wore light road shoes (Asics DS Racers), figuring the slick parts would only affect traction for 3 or 4 miles (another advantage of my scouting run). I ran on the rough stuff on the margin, not on the cleared part because it was too muddy. Somehow, I continued to pull ahead of last year's time and maintain or gain on the guys ahead.

Hit 20 in 2:32 (still about 20 sec ahead of last year), shirt and jacket and went after it. Made up some ground on the guy ahead and on my splits. Took a good banana peel like tumble onto my side at 22.5 on the power line. And by then I was pounding gus every 20 minutes, and water every 10. I kept rolling down the gradual downhill on Goldhill road and reeled in two more runners, and them a third with just 1 km to go. I knew I had the age group record and was hurting but happy to have it done.

3:15:51. And the 2nd fastest men's age grade ever in this 52 yr old race at 75.2. Men's winner Matias Saari (44) ran 2:55:01 scored a 75.6 , so down to the wire. After congratulating Christy for her win and record and talking to several finishers (most of the men's top 15) I stumbled into the gym and took a 15 minute warm shower. Was cramping all day long and felt slightly sick to the stomach, but gobbled food whenever my stomach gave the green light.

That was a tough day.

evanflein

Wow, I always wonder what it's like up in the front. Thanks so much for the description. And you took a tumble where I did! You had an excellent run in miserable conditions. Congratulations on such an excellent race, and helping Christy reach her goal, too!

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow!  Excellent job!

Awesome Trackrat!!  Congratulations!!

denise

Dave59

Fantastic running.  I like the idea of changing clothes. Probably felt good, at least for a while.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Excellent work to both pace someone to a record AND get an AG record for yourself.  While changing clothes three times.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on a great race!  If it stopped raining I'd understand changing clothes, but not if you're just going to get wet again.  So did I see you're moving to Colorado?  What part?  Not that I could keep up with you...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Congrats on a great race!  If it stopped raining I'd understand changing clothes, but not if you're just going to get wet again.  So did I see you're moving to Colorado?  What part?  Not that I could keep up with you...

The clothes changes helped for 45 minutes or so, and then you're just saturated again. After the race I was amazed at how heavy they were, not to mention cold and energy draining. But ultra winners ran 6 or more hours without changes. Worked for me.

Moving to NW Denver, Arvada or Golden. Ft. Collins is home but we moved away the last time in 2004.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yeah, I've had dry clothes (and towels) stashed along some of the more inclement ones but, except for the time changing in a warm car with a thermos of hot chocolate and pbj sandwiches on the first of two loops felt so good it took for 20 minutes, any interest in dry clothes has always been subordinated to the desire to finish and get it over with.  Have fun back in Colorado with some great Alaska memories..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Excellent race, TrackRat. I think the cold made you want to run faster. No one likes to run in the rain but you turned it into an great race with an AG win.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

So, up front was bad and so was for the AG winner. You guys are one tough runners.

My utmost admiration to you !

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Congrats on a fine race in tough conditions.  Great that you got AG win and helped a friend set the women's record.

TomS

Thanks for the report, and congratulations!  You guys are so tough!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Congrats, Raj!  You killed it!  Hope Sue's not mad that you were a pace bunny for Christy!

evanflein

great photo of our Trackrat pacing the women's winner