Masters Running

Tuesday, 6.30.15 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and bye, June.

Nice nekkid run in the fog logged, Slo.

Welcome back to the routine, Dave. Sounds like the EMB is a hit.

Nice run in the heat, Mariposai.

Marj, sorry I didn't catch your DD at the race on Sunday. Good for her for toughing it out in the rain/wind!

Holly, I knew that.

Aamos, you're just amazing!

Glad you solved the problem, Ribs. Did the teeth cleaning help you run faster yesterday?

Hold on to that grin, Tselbs!

Excellent running/gardening combo, Evanflein. And it's good that you got your power back quickly.

I'm not surprised your legs were a little fatigued, WC. You're human after all...

Thanks for the early wake up yesterday, Deeze.

TwoCat, many races use gun time to determine overall winners and net/chip time to determine AG winners. Seems that your half didn't.

I guess a little rain/hail makes Mike run even faster! Yowser.

Tet, Mike's run was the real 'swimming madness!"

Careful Steve - I've seen from my extended family that those Fitbits are addictive. They have regular group competitions to see who can get in the most steps over varying numbers of days.

DW got back last night, so I guess I can go back to my slovenly ways. I woke up early this morning, and was out the door by 4 for 7.4 fartlek RW miles. 60F, partly cloudy and mostly dry air, but I still was sweating pretty good by the time I got back.

OK - gotta get going to today's first meeting.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Thanks for the great start Jay. I was just about to kick things off myself and I am glad I don't have that intense pressure to bear.

I got up early and did the group hill run this morning.  Since I did a half 3 days ago and have a 10k in 4 days I cut back and did 3 sets of 3 times up the hill.  Normal workout for me is 3 sets of 5.

The Tuesday/Thursday group is filled with serious people in the middle of race season.  Seems like there is a triathlon every other weekend that they all go to.  Add to that the fact I am 10 years older than the next oldest one there and I don't fit in much anymore.  I am the kindly old man who they see at the start and end of the runs. But everyone is nice and it keeps me motivated to run harder than I would on my own, so I'll keep showing up.

Thanks for the recap Jay - awesome!!

35 minute open water swim followed by 6.2 easy run --- thank you Carolyn for posting the prime chart last night and inspiring the distance for today's run!!

denise

SteveP good problem to have!  If you need to add some pounds I would be glad to send you some of mine.  Now how to do that . . .

coastwalker personally I think the gun time for OA and chip for all else is the way to go.  The USATF should change their rule to that.

Ran 8 miles this morning in some really spectacular weather!  Clear and sunny.  In other positive news I am trying a new recipe tonight.  I saw it on Guy's Big Bite and there it was called Gigante Beans and Pumpkin.  On the Food Network it was changed to butternut squash.  I have pumpkin (frozen from last year) and lack gigante beans but figure I can substitute great white ones.  It looks like a good recipe.  I hope it tastes good too!  News tomorrow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo

Happy Tuesday All,

I opted to do some strength training this morning. Saving a nice 5 miler for after work. I'll sprinkle some fartleks in there somewhere.

Twocat...I need to look for sure but I think the USATF stance on the chip timing is that they have not taken a stance for AG awards. I have the PDF, I'll have to go take a look. It's pretty much taken for granted around these parts that OA is gun time and AG is chip time.

Speaking of chip timing; It seems this also has become the expected. The last little 5k I volunteered at I was shocked by the number of complaints about not having the race chipped timed. We had less than 200 people. The race cost a whopping $12...Is this where we are headed.

King of PhotoShop

I know I wouldn't have done a track workout in hail down here in TX.  It feels like hammers.  Porta potty for me for sure. Nice workout Mike.

Thanks for the recap Jay.

Allergies bothered me all day yesterday and I got a headache, one of about two I get in a year.  Decided to take today off so I went to the track with Lucy and gave her a walk, 1.1 miles.  The Saint is still out there running.  Spareribs

Good morning good people. Haven't been around much lately but I've been trying to keep up with all of your summer adventures. It's nice to see Jay giving his daily recaps again - much appreciated!

Sorry about your headache Ribs. I hope you're feeling better now.

And you are not a kindly old man Dave. With age comes wisdom, right?

I can't believe this is the last day of June. Summer is going much too quickly. My sister Jan passed away a year ago today, and if you don't mind, I'd like to share with you her daily affirmations. She made her grandkids repeat these to her every time they drove in her car:

1.  I am smart

2.  I am loveable

3.  I am capable of doing things

4.  I am good looking (she squeezed that one in there)

5.  I am successful

6.  I am kind

7.  I am a positive thinker

8.  I am going to make a difference while I am on this Earth

9.  I am proud of all my friends and family and the positive impact that I have on their lives

I miss her a lot. 6 miles for me in her honor this morning. Have a great day everyone.

Dave59

...Is this where we are headed.

That reminded me of this tweet I saw today:

My son needed an empty piece of paper, so he opened a blank Word document and printed it out. We're doomed.

Slo

That reminded me of this tweet I saw today:

My son needed an empty piece of paper, so he opened a blank Word document and printed it out. We're doomed.

That's all the proof I needed.

Aamos and I had a conversation about how automation is dumbing down our operators.

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, since Dave mentioned kindly old men,

HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY, SLO HAND! 

I loved the party pictures you posted on the race thread!  Your family is wonderful!

Jeanne, I love your sister's affirmations.  It sounds like she had a very positive impact on her friends' and family's lives.

I need 10 miles to end the month on a prime - not sure if my legs are up for it, but I'll try!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya, and good afternoon.

My running neighbor to the north (Georgia), Scott Ludwig, writes books about running in his spare time*.  I've been proof-reading the latest (and wrote the intro to the Dean Karnazes chapter).  This one is about Ultra Runners, so keep it in mind if and when you start thinking of end of the year presents.  (Larry Macon, Pam Reed, Tim Twietmeyer, Helen Klein are some of the folks featured)  Scott plans on getting the manuscript to the publisher before the 4th.  Title is:

Extremes: Pushing the Limits of Human Endurance         -here's a blurb from someone you'll recognize:

‘I believe all of us are born to be Explorers, and those who discover this are the luckiest people of all. Distance runners certainly fall into this category. Those who truly love life and the world they live in and chase after them with every bit of gusto they have are what transform them into Extreme runners. I truly enjoyed reading Extremes.’  -Bill Rodgers, four-time winner of both the Boston and New York City Marathons

Other than that, enjoyed my morning 5 miler and trying not to think about the 400s our Speedster captain has planned for this evening.

Sayhey Holly, are you and/or Tara doing that Grand Lake marathon in September?  Or for sure are you doing the Air Force the week before?

Dave, you cannot be calling yourself "kindly old" here where some of us are older than you.  Ain't polite, and as for the accuracy of it, well hmpf.   (Now that Flat Slo guy, he's gettin' old........   Welcome to the Grandmasters Age Group!)

grins,

yer irascible olde Senior Grandmaster, A.  

*Scott's run Badwater and Western States and had a daily running streak going for ....I lost count.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I've been called "kindly old" before too, . . .

but it had always has "geezer" after it!

.Amy 1 – which chapter are you in in the extremes book? You should be, . . . along with so many others herein who are accomplishing far beyond what they ever dreamed. However, Larry Macon won’t be in the ultra chapter as I don’t think he’s ever run more than 26.2 miles but his 1,500 plus marathon in would probably rank a special chapter on its own.

Amy 2 - .I like Dean K too so please post your intro too.

Billy Boy's in good company.

Amy 3 - in case she wants to set some temperature PR’s with 100+ temps expected for the next couple of weeks, tell your Yakima-bound friend to check out the Yakima Hardcore Running Club.  Watch out for wildfires though. HDC sponsors the Yakima River Canyon Marathon at the end of March I’m sure she’ll be in too.

Nothing like deezie’s 35 minutes but I made it as far as the second dock this morning after splashing around in the moon’s silver shoon last night. In fact, my 35 minute YTD already exceeds all swimming for the last four years combined except in the 1/4 mile swims in those year’s annual sprint triathlons. Maybe I won’t be the DGL swimmer this year but I doubt it. "Dead glorious last"

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

I need 10 miles to end the month on a prime - not sure if my legs are up for it, but I'll try!fe

Carolyn, I need .5 miles for a prime- I think I'm up for it.

Jeanne- I feel fortunate that I met your sister when we were in Green Bay- she was quite an inspiration.

Had a class today at Boston U. And cycled there - not a long ride but I hadn't ridden for one reason or another for over a month- felt good.

Tomorrow I don my Canadian flag shorts for my traditional Canada Day run.

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - Tara is doing the Air Force HM.  Other than the WV Freedom's Run Marathon on 10/10, I have not made other plans for the fall.  Grand Lake is only 2 weeks before the Freedom's Run, though - too close for me.

Big win for me today on a Medicaid appeal that I put a lot of work in.  After two State Hearings and a boatload of (my) work, we won Medicaid coverage all the way back to early 2014, and this for a family that could really use it.  Gave me a happy reminder of why I do this.

5 creaky miles for me this morning in 64 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Good work, Holly!

JLynne, those affirmations are good reminders for everyone to help keep your outlook bright.

Dave, definitely keep showing up! Whatever helps the motivation, do it. And I bet they like having you around, too.

Good grief, Jay... 4 a.m.? Let's see... that's midnight here. Yup, I was just going to bed!

I was going to leave a bit early for a lunchtime run so I could get my 6.3 miles needed for a prime... but as usual, work got in the way and I ended up eating my lunch at my desk while prepping for a 1 pm meeting. I hope I can get out this afternoon. Poor planning on my part, should've left myself only needing 5 miles, it's easier to fit in during the work day!