Masters Running

Fresh Start Monday - 4/6 (Read 37 times)

Dave59

It's that time of week again when I decide to eat better and train better. Let's hope I make it past lunch this time.  No holidays or vacations on the horizon to trip me up. I feel like I am more committed than usual.

I ran 5 miles this morning.  34.7° with a heat index of 35°.

One space or two after a period?  Which do you do? Which is right?  (tomwhite need not answer this one since he uses so many periods. Where is he by the way?)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

One of the most useful classes I took in high school was a typing class.  That two spaces after a period is in 40+ years of muscle memory and it's not going away, no matter who tells me that it's not the correct way to do it.

8 miles in shorts for me yesterday before going across the street for Easter dinner.  Met up with my son's old baseball coach a couple of miles in and did three or so with him in the middle.  He's a bit faster than me, so it was a good push.  We may meet up next Sunday on purpose.  I'm learning to like running with someone.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

That two spaces after a period is in 40+ years of muscle memory and it's not going away, no matter who tells me that it's not the correct way to do it.

+1  That year in Miss Bender's typing class is still etched in my memory. On old-fashioned typewriters. That you had to actually push the carriage return. And pound on the keys. No spell check or white-out.  If you made a mistake you got out your eraser, or started over. And heaven forbid you made a mistake with carbon paper underneath! Kids today got it so easy

5 miles this morning in 15 mph winds out of the north and only 32°.  I put my winter running stuff away but there's snow/freezing rain in the forecast all week. Ah spring.

Like Dave, after over indulging yesterday I'm trying to get back on the straight and narrow path. To make it until lunch would be terrific for me - I'm shooting for 10:00 AM!

Where's Jay with the weekend recap????

MM #7877

It's that time of week again when I decide to eat better and train better. Let's hope I make it past lunch this time.  No holidays or vacations on the horizon to trip me up. I feel like I am more committed than usual.

Send some of that commitment my way  

Good Luck!

Philippians 4:13.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Does having a handful of Trader Joes' dark chocolate covered candied ginger for breakfast count?  My cube neighbor just dumped a bunch on my desk to reciprocate for the maple flavored cashews that I gave him last week.  Boy is that good!

Mariposai

I am with Jlynne about the style of typewriter I learned typing with. In fact, I wrote my entire theses paper in the old fashion typewriter since computer was not available for me to use and paying someone to do it in the computer for me was out the question since I did not have the money to pay for such service.

No running this morning,  but I hope to do my last long run tonight since I didn't get to run long on the weekend.

Cheers

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Mornin'!

Well, that ginger sounds like a nutrient to me.  It's good for lots of things (settles your stomach; you going anywhere today?)    You can't help it if it has some chocolate attached.   Besides, you gotta start carbo loading for our race on the 19th.

Yes to the 2 spaces, Dave.  One thing about kids having it easy; I was a TA in law school in the early 80s, when PCs were replacing typewriters.  I found the students with PCs were much less feisty about having to make corrections or rewrite sections of their work than were the ones with typewriters.  Not docile, by any means, just a little easier to convince the changes were necessary, I'd say.......

So Saturday, at the half marathon, we were waiting at the start for a bit.  It was an inaugural, so a few glitches.....but that was more than ok, one 'cuz it benefits autism support, and two, because we saw an Eclipse of the Moon!  It was a "Blood Moon Lunar Eclipse," and you space geeks can read more here:   Eclipse   It was just spectacular!    We had a lot of fun: the DH maintained an 11:14 pace (he jogged some, so not pure walking, Jay) and is doing fine.  We took a rest day yesterday (yes, I did too!) and went out this am.

So 8.5 for me, still slow.  Need to get with the Speedsters, once I'm sure I'm not going to hurt something new.  Did the half in 1:44, so making progress.

School is still out today, for Easter Monday.  Detroit didn't observe that, as I recall back in the day.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

Came back to add: I'm with you Mari--I had my dad's typewriter in college and one of my teachers actually suggested I try and get something more updated (a few of the keys were a little crooked and the only typewriter ribbon that fit came in two tone black and red, so some the letters printed out in two tones....)

AND, to highly recommend this book: The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and their epic quest for gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics,

by Daniel James Brown.  It's in paper.  Worth every penny.

This was just riveting.  The team is from University of Washington.  Evidently, crewing was right up there with the Kentucky Derby and the World Series in terms of sports popularity in the '30s.  I was at the pool reading this yesterday and started tearing up, and I knew the result.  The writer is really good, the book is well researched as well as a page turner.   Here's a synopsis from the author's website:

The Boys in the Boat celebrates the 1936 U.S. men’s Olympic eight-oar rowing team—nine working class boys who stormed the rowing world, transformed the sport, and galvanized the attention of millions of Americans.

The sons of loggers, shipyard workers, and farmers from the American West, the boys took on and defeated successive echelons of privilege and power. They vanquished the sons of bankers and senators rowing for elite eastern universities. They defeated the sons of British aristocrats rowing for Oxford and Cambridge.  And finally, in an extraordinary race in Berlin they stunned the Aryan sons of the Nazi state as they rowed for gold in front of Adolf Hitler.

Against the grim backdrop of the Great Depression, they reaffirmed the American notion that merit, in the end, outweighs birthright. They reminded the country of what can be done when everyone quite literally pulls together. And they provided hope that in the titanic struggle that lay just ahead, the ruthless might of the Nazis would not prevail over American grit, determination, and optimism.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Aamos, that sounds like a good read!  I'll put it on my list, and see if my local library has it, or can get it.

My training has been pretty non-existent on this vacation, partly because I was sick, and partly because fun vacation things are getting in the way!  But sadly, tonight is my last night here - I'm flying home tomorrow.  So I'll get back to training when I get home, which is gonna be tough after three weeks of not running and being at sea level.  That first run up the hill from my house to the ridge at 9,600 ft is always a challenge when I've been at sea level...

I remember typing class in 8th grade with Mrs. Romanovsky.  Those typewriters had blank keys so you couldn't cheat and look at the letters. We used to pass the word around class for everyone to make the margin bell ring at a certain time, simultaneously.  Used to drive the teacher nuts!  Think what our kids are missing by having computers...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Spent a week at the Washington Athletic Club recently, as you all know, and they had  a zillion pics of that crew Aamos.

I'm with everyone else on the two spaces after the period.  I know the rule but it's stuck in me, as it is with Stumpy.

TW, remember that joke by Mitch Hedberg, "I used to do drugs.  I still do them, but I used to also."  So you used to be a woman huh?

Pretty crappy day here, overcast, spitting rain and very muggy, high 60's. So the Saint and I did 5 easy miles at the park and packed it in.  Now I have writing work to do all day, but none of it is billable, just my Dallas News piece and my monthly business newsletter.

Ek, that was a nice job yesterday on those fast even splits for the LR.  Well done.  Spareribs

Henrun

No running today but walking the High Line near the West side highway in Manhattan which we biked and ran in the past. Beautiful warm spring day in the city.

We're reAding Boys in the Boat for our book club.

Marathon Maniac #957

Ek, that was a nice job yesterday on those fast even splits for the LR.  Well done.  Spareribs

Indeed!

Aamos - very cool about the lunar eclipse, and that does sound like a good read.

I think 2 spaces makes the writing easier to read.  DS does only one space, but he often asks me to proof his papers before turning them in, and it always drives me a little crazy.  Makes me want to go through the entire paper adding that extra space.  Does that make me OCD?

2 miles on the TM for me this morning, followed by 25 minutes of weights and core.  While I want to jump right in and be all gung-ho about running, I also need to keep from overdoing it after so long off.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Hey everyone. All this running is what makes you OCD Holly.

I'm an engineer and as such look for efficiency when possible so one space for me. That and I'm a rebel who like to defy The Man.

We had a nice Sunday with family. It was far too short. The highlight was the usual euchre games. Counting cards gets more difficult as you get older. Even taught one of the kids to play.

Bummer about the weather ribs. I was thinking of you on our long run this weekend. Lots of people with jackets tied around waists.

Good addition to my reading list. If I ever get time.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

Thanks for the kudos on my run yesterday. It really is a great feeling and it seems like my running has taken on a new ease, or flow. "Ease" probably isn't the right word, but it's hard to describe. I remember running Boston in 2010 and I kept thinking "I should need a walk break soon" but it never "hit" and I ran strong all the way to the finish (3:32). I think I walked one water stop for Gatorade or something to keep cramps at bay, but ran the rest of the way and had a kick at the end. I've been trying to get that feeling back ever since and it feels like it's coming back. I don't know that it is related to the 28 day streak I've got going, which is the longest ever. I keep waiting for a totally carpy day to take a rest day. With the weather being pretty good, I don't want to waste any day that I could run!

Good luck on the commitment for eating and training better. I usually make the eating thing until about 11 a.m., then start rummaging in my desk drawer for snacks.

Enjoy the High Line, Henry and Marj! My DH and I did that with HallyBarb a couple years ago, very cool. I think it's been extended since we were there.

I learned the two spaces after period thing in high school too, but years of working in a public affairs office with editors following AP style manuals fixed that! Same with the five space indents for paragraphs. Now I find that highly annoying.

How cool to see the eclipse before your race, Aamos! What time did that thing start anyway? And hey, I'd love a 1:44 HM time... just sayin'.

Welcome home (soon), Wildchild! Your first few runs will probably be a bit of a challenge. Love the pictures of your trip on FB.

Gotta run this afternoon since DH wants to be home by 5 to watch the game. Since AZ is out, we're rooting for Wisconsin. DH likes to root for anyone who beat his team and made it to the end, me because it's kinda sorta my alma mater (UW-River Falls, but still UW...). But I'll probably do laundry and get dinner ready.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hey Amy--I think Pedey's hand is feeling better.  Just saying. 

Opening day is NOT conducive to efficient work concentration.