Masters Running

Newbies Thread. Others welcome too. Experienced runners especially. (Read 416 times)

Moving up the newbie thread. I ran a very lame 25 minutes yesterday. Leg hurt with every step. Stupid question....does this mean I am running too soon? A few of my runs were pain free. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

What did you do to your leg, and how long ago did you do it? Good rule of thumb is to have 3 consecutive days with absolutely no pain before trying an activity again. (Do I generally use this rule of thumb . . . uh, sometimes . . . Roll eyes ) If the pain returns, then you're most likely not completely healed.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Teresadfp

One day at a time

With my ankle, I would try to run two days in a row, but if it hurt, I would make sure to skip a day in between runs for a week or so. It took a few weeks until I could comfortable run two days in a row. Now I can do four without any problem. Good luck!!
        dg.

(Do I generally use this rule of thumb . . . uh, sometimes . . . Roll eyes )
          Leslie...uh, when might that have been? Evil grin Good advice, though! Laurie, thanks for starting a new thread. I won't catch up tonight, but will answer one thing you asked... S/I is the sacroiliac joint. It can effect a lot of other things.. but like I said, I can't imagine that they haven't tested you for that. Re your question.... you already know that. Esp. in your circumstances I think, (but what do I know?) that you should stop as soon as you feel any pain. Right now, my pt says I can run if I keep the pain level under a 3. Yesterday she did say, when I asked specifically about a recent run I was describing to her (started thinking I should stop after 3.7 miles) if I would would heal faster if I would have stopped sooner, she said yes. I'm going to try to reassess & apply this. Mine's been going on for a long time, off & on, but yours has been much worse. Kevin, I'm so glad you're not fluttering!!!
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks, Deb. Just to show that I'm an eternal optimist, i just went out and bought TWO pair of Adrenaline 8's on sale at Sports Authority. They seem to get the outdated models (9's are now out) and sell them for about half price. I should be set for the next year. I sure would love it if I can wear them out before then. I was just getting ready to ramp up both distance and days when I started fluttering in Jan. This is in addition to getting both a Garmin and a Clip WHILE fluttering. I will either be all set when I start running again, or setting myself up for a big eBay sale Roll eyes Back at work a day early, to everyone's surprise. But I felt so good over the weekend that I needed to give it a try. Tomorrow I check in with my regular doc about the incisions. I will also be asking him about sleep apnea. Apparently I was snoring like crazy while I was under and the doc that did the procedure told my DW that sleep apnea is very strongly linked to both a-fib AND high blood pressure. I knew I snored when I slept on my back, but thought I was OK when on my stomach or side. I may have a sleep study in my future, too. Laurie--sorry you're hurting again. I'm hoping that your PTs can get you straightened out. there is Deb's duct tape if it gets too bad. Wink Linda--hope you had a good lunch with Tammy and John. I imagine it's a lively one. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Kevin, DS had his tonsils out at age 6 because of heavy snoring. That fixed the snoring, but he still had trouble sleeping sometimes. We had a sleep study done on him in December, and he definitely had some periods of apnea. It was while he was sleeping on his back. We're supposed to rig something up (tennis balls sewn into a special sleeve on his PJs or something) to keep him off of his back at night. I have to admit, I am so domestically-challenged that I haven't done anything yet. The sleep study was interesting! Lots of cool charts and data to look at.
                Leslie, Thanks for stopping by our little thread. Its a hamstring pull I did last summer. It gets better then gets worse. So far I have pulled both hamstrings. Right one last year. Left the year before. I now know that I have very weak hamstrings and very strong quads. So a huge muscle imbalance. Deb, I think they did test for that and still assume its a hamstring pull. I can remember the day I injured it. I think mine has been on and off for about the same time as yours. So it looks like we are susceptible to this kind of thing. Not sure why. THeresa, are you wrapping or supporting it at all? Kevin, more good news. Glad to hear it. We need more of that on this board. I did a pathetic 25 min run this week with both legs hurting. It seems to recover faster this week. Swimming helps the recovery time. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Kevin - so glad you're feeling so well. Very interesting on the snoring, possible sleep apnea. Yes, I had a great lunch with Tammy and John, as always. John has been one of my biggest supporters, and we both grew up in Socal (very close in area except years apart). Interesting, how the people I've met who grew up in that area, I seem to understand better... guess its just because of knowing an area so well, and having that in common. Plus I'm such a baby about the cold weather.. lol Anyway, so, lively lunch of course, but also amazing support from the 2 of them Smile I gotta tell you I was pretty jealous about their runs.... but its a very bad idea right now. foot has been recovering still from the weekend after my podiatrist appt.
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

OK folks--it's now Tuesday--where is everyone?

dg.

Kevin, I was just wondering how you are. How is it being back at work? What did your doc say about the incisions & your sleep apnea? It would be cool if they could solve another problem. I thought about you the other day.... trying to wear something other than Frees on my long runs, & guess what I have. Adrenaline 6. Maybe they're even a 5! I looked but I forget. They were the first running shoes I ever bought, then a while later I bought the next model & never ended up switching back & forth. So, these still have a lot of wear. I'm sure your optimism will prove justified. You'll be all ready for the nice weather. I have the same disease. I signed up for another marathon yesterday, & I haven't even done the first one. But it's really fun. kInda like getting shoes or a Garmin. hmm.... I know there were things on the other thread I wanted to say something about, but don't have time to look now.... Linda... " foot has been recovering still from the weekend after my podiatrist appt. "????? Laurie, I wonder if you would like the book "Brain Training for Runners". He has a chapter on injury prevention & recovery that might really be helpful for you. I wonder what they found out when they tested you. My PT says I do have a hamstring pull, but the S/I joint is one reason why I'm susceptible to it. I hope you're hurting less. I'm still making progress, still fighting with myself about how much to do. Sometimes I win. Surprised Sunday I had the nicest run I've had in a long time. Esp. the last mile or so, it just felt great. Then I had to go & do just a little too much. But not way too much. I should carry around my phantom LInda. This morning was 4, but very slow.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Two days in a row on the Y indoor track. 5 miles yesterday, 3 miles today. Not much else to report! I'm dying for less windy weather. Don't mind the cold, just want a calmer day!!!!
                          Theresa, less windy weather should be right around the corner. I know what you mean. Nothing but cold and wind here. North wind bringing cold Canada air down here. Yuck. Dg, What distance are you at now? I will look up Brain Training. My brain could use some about now. Yep hurting less. I have learned to take a day off every now and then. Slowly things are healing. Kevin, how art thou? Linda, what did the podiatrist do to you? I am up to a 27 minute walk/run now. My run is pathetically slow. I took it easy on purpose so the pain would stay away. I went to the New England Multisport expo last weekend. Fun fun fun. A friend and I took a total immersion swim class. We learned a lot and the instructor is local so we will be hiring her for private lessons. And I took ChiRunning again. This time the founder of the method gave the class. Great class. I learned more than last time and was a good refresher. I highly recommend that method of running. Laurie

dg.

'morning Smile Laurie... glad you had fun at the expo. What is a total immersion swim class? Cool you had a class by.. Dan, isn't it? That is the first running book I bought, I think. Maybe I'll review it. Still recommend the other book for you. My miles are usually 4 1/2 mid week, (cutting back this week). The last 2 weekend runs were 7.07 & 7.71. See the symmetry? I am so pathetic. Last Sunday I went to the gym & did pool running after my run, that might have been too much, but I'm doing ok again. Teresa, I know what you mean! The wind can take it right out of you. Seems like there should be a law. Linda... how is your foot & what happened? I was thinking about this this morning.... did you actually say that your asthma is healed????? Kevin, you are due for a report. Of course, I have to be nice to you now. Roll eyes So, a report please. Roberta, waving hi if you're looking in. How are you? Mike, I'd email you but for some reason it seems I just have your Buckeye etc. address. Thought I saved the other one, but it doesn't seem to be there. I hope you are happy & healthy. Eliz, what training plan are you using for your 10 mile race? Must feel good now that you've covered the distance.
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Finally, a calm morning! Low 20s. Felt great! I did only 3 miles, because it was with my running partner. At least her injury is not bothering her! I can't wait until she's "up to speed" again, so to speak. It does make me realize that I've made progress, because these runs are much easier for me than they are for her, since she's had to take some time off. Next week is when I take my son to Austin to look at UT. Three days of warm weather!!!!! I can't wait. DS may not want to come home after that visit! Laurie, you're doing great! Don't be hard on yourself!
                              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Deb--I'm thinking cookies. lots and lots of cookies Evil grin Laurie--I art well, thanking you kindly. i have had no flutters of any sort as of my 2 week anniversary today. Max and I are adding a little distance each time we've been out. last night was 1.67 miles in 28:00. (Can you tell I'm using the Garmin while walking? Wink ) I appear to have set it to auto-off, so the 28 minutes of walking was during about 35 minutes of sniffing and other doggy activities. Follow-up appointments coming in a couple of weeks--running soon after, I hope. on the home front, DD got her acceptance at UCLA last week and was bouncing off the walls excited. she'll being going out with DW over April vacation to look at all the ones she's gotten itno. She's also hoping against hope that there may be a USC acceptance before then. it really doesn't matter which one, I've resigned myself to working until 75 or so. Roll eyes That will teach us to promise the kids that we'll pay for most of school. I think we must have been thinking of a state school. FIL is coming to visit for a few day tomorrow. DW is comatose getting ready. I have a bucnh of things to take to the attic. Maybe some day we won't be pack rats, but I doubt it. everyone have a great night and day. Kevin