Masters Running

Friday, June 13th Daily (Read 364 times)

Good morning friends! Yesterday was a day that seemed like 100 hours rather than 24. I had WAY too much going on than what humanly was possible to accomplish. You have had those days. I use a "Things to do Today" type of list and started out with 18 items. By days end I had completed TWO of the 18 and added 14 new items for the list. Oh well, it is good not to be lacking for things to do. No new word on my brother. One of the 18 items was to call him yesterday and that was one that didn't quite make the completion list. I will try again today. I started calling his kids yesterday (nieces and nephews of which there are 8). One of those calls lasted about 2 hours but I think I was of help to this daughter. He certainly has some great kids. I am just trying to give them all some perspective during these hours. Another item on the list that didn't make it yesterday, was my run. However, this is on my list to do this MORNING and I will add a couple of miles to make up for yesterday. Whenever I miss a planned run I always feel that while I may make up the MILES, I have lost the run for that DAY forever. What an NBA game last night! As a lifetime Celtics fan, it was quite a ride. There were definitely two different parts to that game and it is going to be hard for the Lakers to pull this series out. However, even from the lesson learned from last night's game, it is never too late to try to win. Early in the game as the Lakers took a HUGE lead, one of the announcers commented that he felt safe in saying that the series was going to go to "two wins apiece". He certainly ended up eating those words. I have a friend who is flying out to LA to watch Game Five of the series. He bought two tickets on line for $720 each. But listen to this. He saw tickets being offered that are located at courtside for Sunday's game.....They are being sold in pairs.....again at courtside (by the Jack Nicholson's of this world) ....for.....(.now get this.).....$25,000 EACH. "Hey honey, I bought a couple of tickets for the game Sunday...want to go?" By the way it IS Friday the 13th. I won't go further with that statement, other than to say that I trust that you go out and MAKE your good luck for the day. Make a good run to be a part of that plan. Enjoy the gift of this day. There may be plenty of challenges facing you but this simply means that there are also plenty of opportunities to see some great things accomplished. Thanks again for your prayers and thoughts on behalf of my brother. Joey
    Vista
      The RunningAhead web server seems to be in slow motion mode this morning. Vista, thank goodness my "To Do" list isn't that long. I have some things to do around the house this weekend but not that many. And fortunately none involve calling nieces and nephews with bad news. 9.25 miles this morning in 1:25 overall. Ran the 1st 4 miles easy, then blasted a couple of hill repeats (ant hills by Holly, Peter, and Evan standards - mountains to me). Finished off the run easy with 6x100 meter striders. Felt good. Paying attention to the left hamstring. Everyone have a good day! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Morning all, Happy Friday the 13th! Watch out for those black cats and other suspicious stuff. 5.25 miles of hills @ 9:21 pace, easy short run today...I'm late for work already. Good running to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

Whew Joey....I am tired after reading your post Smile Your brother is still on my mind and prayers. Another nice run for you Bill....you are running great right now....great job!!! I like to never got on here also this morning for what ever reasons....I thought maybe I had been banned Big grin Nice run to you too Peter....hope you are not too late to work I have not ran since Tues and have only 6 miles running this week....which feels extremely weird, but it was necessary after my big bonk run last Sun that left me very sore and tired the whole week. I feel a lot better this morning, so I should be able to ramp my miles up again next week after Sat's 10K race. Have a great day all - and TGIF Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

4.25 miles for me last night (sorry I don't always log in late in the evening, pls forgive a newcomer). My ankle and calves have been been a little sore for the past couple weeks, but are finally feeling more like normal. Since I run pretty slow anyway, I had been trying to run the entire distance at the same speed, usually failing. I'm now trying to run the first mile much slower (I have to let snails pass), so hopefully that will make the difference. The trip to DC was great all the way up until the flight home when we saw Des Moines in the distance right under a huge thunderstorm...diverted and landed in Kansas City instead just before 1AM...bus ride back to Des Moines arriving at 7AM. At least it was at the end of the trip, rather than the start. For all you in the DC and surrounding area, thanks for the 100+ heat index, reminds me of when I was living in Houston! Good runs to all...Janet

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yesterday seemed like 100 hours for me too - but not because I was busy like Vista - because we are so slow at work that there is not much to do at all. Going to be another long one today. Rest day for me and I got a good nights sleep last night!! I feel MUCH better today and have a more positive attitude. Thanks for the hugs yesterday. Happy Friday the 13th!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Morning, Another gorgeous day out here. No running but I will go out and spin the legs cycling today. I am racing a 5K on Fathers Day. It benefits Prostate Cancer and I run it every year. It will be special this year as I will have the girls with me at the race. Not sure where my fitness will be for the race but this race is a perfect opportunity to race against a few racers that have always defeated me in the past (hats of to them). This year could be different. I feel recovered from the marathon, I am fitter and I want to win more than I did in the past and my girls will be there (-: Hopefully a fast time.. Enjoy your day everyone and 13 is my lucky number. So here's hoping. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Happy Friday the 13th Boomers. No run today - resting legs for the 10K tomorrow, but did do weights. Already scrubbed floors and cleaned bathrooms, changed sheets and ran the vacuum around. At least I got an aerobic workout! Got a "honeydo" list from the bride to be (where is her mother in all of this, I keep asking...) so will spend the morning in my car getting candles, a guest book (do people still use those things?) and other miscellaneous last minute things she forgot to do. My day pales in comparison to what Vista has going on, though. Good luck, Joey. You are a source of strength for your family and I know they appreciate all the love and support you give them. Nice runs, Bill and Peter. Tim, sounds like your legs will be well rested for your 10K tomorrow. Kick butt! Janet, do you live in Des Moines? The storm footage on the national news last night was brutal. Hope everything is okay in your world. Glad you're feeling better today, Mary. The puppies are growing quickly - and absolutely adorable. Off to tackle my "list." Good Friday the 13th runs, everyone. Jeanne
                    Hoping to run at lunchtime if the thunderstorms move off in time. Tried to register for a 10k today through active, went crazy trying to jump through all the hoops and will either try again later or register the old fashioned way. Very happy to be on RA!!!
                      Yes, the server is definitely slow this morning. Running late for work, so just a quick post of my run: 3 "true" recovery miles (for me that's >9:00/mi, <140 ahr). headed home today, woohoo! have a great weekend! ahr).="" headed="" home="" today,="" woohoo!="" have="" a="" great=""></140 ahr). headed home today, woohoo! have a great weekend!>

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

Nice low-HR run. 5.3 miles @ 9:14 pace; 131 AHR; 66% HRR Yesterday, I enjoyed reading about the many reasons why nearly all of us are not “real” runners! Funny stuff. Hats off to Alex the Great and Coach Boudreau. It’s nice that they got some recognition even though they’re with a mediocre team. That has to be frustrating for someone of Ovechkin’s capabilities. Logging my run I just realized I have more miles in June than I did in May…which says a lot about how bad May was. Rest day tomorrow, so have a good weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning all Talk about To Do lists. I drove DW and DD1 to the airport at 4 am so they can visit relatives in Winnipeg. I'm holding down the fort for animal and plant care duty plus a wee list of other things to ge done by the time they are back on Wednesday Roll eyes So the first thing I did was sign up for a 5K tomorrow (probably see Munchkin there).. Susan Komen Race for the Cure. Huge event. While I was in WV this week, the Raleigh-Durham area became smothered in smoke from eastern NC wild fires so air quality has been "unhealthy". We're hoping it gets much better by race time. This morning 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory (yea) in 37:56 (9:29 pace). There was a deer on the edge of the road with brand new antlers (bit more than stubs). As we approached and Tory was within feet, barking, the deer pivoted keeping his head facing Tory and started lowering his head as we ran out of the "zone". I think he was ready to try his new weapons out. (usually the deer just run away). ETA: Tommorow's race is special. It marks one year since I really got back to running post PF injury. It is now one year, 2500 miles later with no injuries! Now THAT's a PR!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Enkaphalin said:
                            I am over 40 mpw now. Still not sure if I'm a real runner since I'm such a slug. I think real runners have copies of Daniels and Noakes at home, know their VDOTs, LT's, VO2's and the names of their individual butt muscles. Since Tall just says "my butt hurts", he is obviously not a real runner.
                            Big grin ....my thoughts exactly..... Vista – I always have a running “to-do” list that is longer than I can keep up with, but I just keep in motion, checking things off bit by bit. To tell you how far behind I am, I still haven’t finished editing my Boston photos and uploading them for prints. Sad Breger – my hills aren’t THAT big, I just whine a lot...Smile HandyMom – post when you can, no big deal... No run for me today – light x-training instead: front raises, incline dumbbell press, butterflies, push-ups, reverse flies, leg lifts with ankle weights, face-up and face-down, various crunches. There are thunderstorms forecast for my first 5K of the season tomorrow. Guess I’ll just have to run faster than lightning! Big grin Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I know that I have been discussing my mileage buildup plan each week and you may be getting tired of it, but because the subject is interesting to those who have been sidelined and want to know how slowly you should go to build mileage back up, I like to post where I am in this and how I am feeling. As you know, tomorrow wraps up my 35 mpw plateau and next week I will hit 40 mpw for the first time. I did 6 today with the first 4.5 very slow, something like 9:55 and the last 1.5 at 8:31, with a half at 4:00 flat. What I am experiencing is a lot of fatigue at the start of my daily runs, and a long time to get warmed up and on stride. But then I feel very good toward the end. Generally speaking, if I were in good shape, I would go out to run 8 miles e.g., and run them all at the same comfortable pace. Here is why I think I am so sluggish at the start. 1) It may be the TX heat, but I don't think so. I run at about 7 a.m. and it's fairly cool, about 80 here. 2) I weigh too much. This is probably true. Our bathroom scale is notoriously inaccurate, but I believe I am over 150 and in shape I am low 140's. 3) My heart may be deteriorating somewhat. I had a stress/echo test over a year ago and maybe I should have it looked at again. My c/v system may not be as efficient as it was two years ago. 4) It may be that growing mileage steadily is just hard to do and that you are always tired during your runs. This could be, but I would expect to have a few more sproinky days. Instead, I have had very few. Still in all, I am pretty happy with my progress, and my foot is less uncomfortable each week. Getting there. Bill, is that hamstring still a concern? Good workout today. Tim, a few easy strides today might help. Spareribs
                              dg.

Good morning! I'm glad you're feeling better Mary. What a great picture, thanks. Yea, Perch is home. yikes. Do deers eat oats? PDR how do you do it? When i read your post, I was already looking at the clock wondering if I could go to bed, (well, almost) & I'd only been up since 4:15. You were still probably at work. Lou, safe travels. several of you were in rare form yesterday. you cracked me up. TomS, thanks! How are you? Enke, you gave me hope. I have Noakes & Daniels at home. And Pfitz. (2, count 'em). names..... I keep thinking of Beavis. prolly not what you meant. This morning I tried for smart, since I couldn't be real. (ok, the last of that but it's hard to resist) The last 2 times I ran Thurs. & Fri., my hamstrings hurt by nightfall. Also, since Fri. is clockwise at the track, it made my knee much worse & messed up a whole weekend. Last Friday I took off, today was torn but decided to just go for 3 & take it easy. worked fine, so far anyway. Smile. run was 3.41 miles, ahr 163, max 183, ave. pace was 10:35, max was 9:03. I used the auto-lap, & even had negative splits. I did movement prep before, & SS side planks & stretches after. This probably took more air time than it's worth, but it's typed & I'm leaving it. just caught your post SR. (sometimes we're synchronized). I definitely appreciate it when you describe your experiences as you're recovering & ramping up your miles. I was wondering how you could keep steadily increasing like that; wondered if there was a ceiling of some sort... at least where you'd have to back off a little. I can't imagine that you weigh too much, but I know we all have a place that feels right for us. Please do have your heart checked out! You're quiet about that kind of thing. You always seem invincible. Anyway, all of this is very helpful. Take care of yourself.