Masters Running

Saturday June 28 Runs, Walks, Hops, Giggles..... (Read 400 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Rest day for me (again), although I think I will take the kids on a bike ride this afternoon. This morning I am having serious doubts as to if I actually have a pelvic SF. I’ve been reading some articles online, and one of the tests is that if you stand unassisted on the affected leg it should hurt like hell, and I can not only stand unassisted, but jump up and down on that leg without much pain. The pain is more when I extend my leg forward and then put weight on it. The article also says that many other things can imitate the symptoms of pelvic stress fractures. I guess time will tell. But a few days of rest won’t do me any harm. (If only I could stop eating like I was still running…) Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

thanks for starting the day, holly, and sorry to hear you are hurting. today is THE day - fjorddaughter is getting married! and i am sitting here waiting for dawn to do its thang so i can grab pelle and get a few miles in before the day - and the heat - begin; the weather forecast is for 94F! this month has disappeared in a blur; trips to seattle when amanda graduated from UW a few weeks ago and to go to a wedding last weekend (practice run for our own), and wedding plans, and trying to finish work so i can have this time off, and the house filled with kids and life and love, and managing to keep running through it all - i even passed 2400 miles total (since may 2006) this past week. and we leave for sweden and the fjord next week! (and knock off a few of those pesky pounds that had crept up on me all winter). it's getting light, and i'm gonna sneak out now while the house is sleeping, good runs to all! susan

The Jogger

Morning Gang ((((Holly)))) there is a running site over here called fetcheveryone.com one of the rooms is the clinic, you get some voluntary good advice from some med professionals who are runners and seem to know a lot about injuries, might be worth a visit. Susan good luck with the wedding of DD...... I had a rest day yesterday, rest day? I layed a small patio. went out for a 15 miler this morning well at my pace it was well into the midday sun, sun factor 15 where the hair use to be Smile Firsat 5 very slow on a hilly trail with Mrs Roy and Woody last 10 a bit quicker by myself, last mile was sub 10mins woooooo Smile Anyway: 15m 02:47:59 @ 11:12 pace AHR 145 Good Runs All Roy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

{{Holly}} fjord.. sounds excitingly busy! The run should help. 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory with a stop halfway to pick blackberries. I had remembered a patch along the nature trail so I brought an empty water bottle and picked a pint. A few scratches and a realization I was standing in poison ivy ....but I got 'em. Breakfast... cereal with blackberries! Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

DickyG

Holly: Really disappointed that sports doc couldn't pinpoint the problem. Your solution of "think positively and hope for the best" actually makes the most sense. OR...you could follow the advice of my old college baseball coach...his cure for EVERY injury was "rub some dirt on it and walk it off." Dave59: Annabelle...what a smile! I think you need to buy her one of Mary's puppies...she's got about 6 left. Steve: Excellent info on your post-run stretching...actually tried them BEFORE I ran this morning..groin muscle hardly bothered me at all. Wildchild: Well, it really wasn't 300 degrees here yesterday...according to the weather channel, it was only 295...whatever it was, it was broiling here in southern Virginia, right in the heart of NASCAR country. dg: Regarding the sponges...cut them in half, wet them down, & line your shoes with them around the heel...you might have to loosen the laces a little. Obviously not a permanent cure for stress fracture but it will get you through a few days. Tall: hmmmm...45 minute run, tennis, biking...you da man! Susan: Congrats! When daughter & son-in-law return from their honeymoon, you need to get them one of Mary's puppies... Went out early this morning and did 4.1 miles on the hills..I've now figured out how to correctly bandage myself (it takes 3 of them) and am doing OK...trying to run a little harder on the hills. Got my pace down to 8:43...2 more runs before Peachtree. I really don't think I can beat last year's time of 48:41 but since I'm now in the 65-death age group, even with a damaged groin muscle, I think I can beat some of the rest of the other geezers. DickyG
              Holly keep researching and you'll likely figure out what's up. FjordRunner congrats on the DD's day. Enjoy it! Roy very nice 15 miler in the heat of the day! Perch I knew there'd be a price to pay for scouting out those blackberries. The running club had their Starbuck's to Starbuck's fun run this morning. 9 miles at 8:52 pace. H&H way up just like we like it. Coffee and bagels afterwards. (Anyone else think Starbuck's bagels leave much to be desired? Oh well. They were free.) The club seems to be doing some odd stuff lately. We have is an established website where runners can enter bulletin board messages to volunteer for water. But apparently people have been saying "it's too hard", so the Prez is doing it all manually. And the website sits idle. I think it might be just the Prez thinking it's too hard. This is the 21st Century people ... Oh well. The runners were very friendly at any rate. (Geez I sound whiney this morning ...) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

Six sticky easy miles this morning. Lots of rain last night and some roads were still under water this morning but nothing I couldn't get around.

5 easy very humid miles. Temps were fine and the run was great but i was dripping wet from the get go. {{{{Holly}}}} Good runs everyone and good luck to all the racers this weekend Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Hill Runner

Good morning all, I had to move my long run to today as I've volunteered to help out with the Concours Event / Porsche Parade in Charlotte tomorrow early AM. It's a week long event that kicks off tomorrow and the first time it's ever been held in Charlotte. 16.02 miles of hills @ 9:15 pace on a warm morning...80F and sunny. I had to jump in the pool for 20 minutes after to cool off but it felt great. Off to work. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

6 miles and a beautiful sunrise later, we're back. thank you all for the kind wishes - will be taking care of the happy couple's border collie poggin while they honeymoon - "the boys" - our border collie pelle (who thought mom was weird going running when she usually goes to bed after working all night) and poggin have been having a blast the past few days. i think i hear people... good runs! susan
                        Good Morning Everyone! Started with 6.2 miles w/DW at 10:10 pace and finished with another 3.8 miles at 9:15 pace. For 10 miles in 1:38:40. Thank goodness there was a little breeze. Took a foul ball hard off the collarbone last night while umping Black eye Iced it last night but bruised today, maybe I should of just rubbed some dirt on it Wink Perch good luck with that poison ivy, I might catch it just by reading about it Shocked Enjoy your weekend!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

{{{Holly}}} Thanks for starting us off today! Sarge - hope that collarbone feels better soon - ouch! Out for 5 very humid miles this morning. Just took it slow and my HR was still elevated. 10:12 avg. pace - 163 avg hr. Got home, took a shower, then gave two puppies a bath for their new parents. Charlie just left . . . he was my favorite. Have a good Saturday everyone!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Boomers. No run yet, but got up early, went to farmer's market for fresh strawberries, snap peas and asparagus, then helped my sister haul rocks for a border she's building in her garden. I need a nap! Mary - it must have been hard to see Charlie go. i'm sure puppies develop their own personalities that make one or two more special. Good run in the H&H - it's been bad here as well. Susan - congratulations on the wedding! We had one two weeks ago. The day passes too quickly so soak it all in... Way to relieve some wedding stress with a nice run this morning - maybe you should have taken the bride and groom with you. Perch - I hope you were careful taking your running shoes off! Poison Ivy is nasty stuff. But fresh blackberries sound really good. Sounds like lots of runs in warm, sticky weather this morning. Breger - I agree that Starbucks bagels are not worth the calories. I think their reputation is overrated. McDonald's coffee is just as good at half the price, especially the iced hazelnut. Holly - maybe a few days of rest will be all it takes to heal. Don't worry about the food intake. Seems like you have a pretty good metabolism and I know you're not just sitting around, you always have at least 10 or 20 side projects going! Enjoy your bike ride with the kids. Good Saturday runs, everyone. Jeanne

King of PhotoShop

5.5 very poor miles this morning. Very frustrated. Roy, nice job. Susan, congrats, and best wishes to the young couple. By any chance are you familiar with a writer named Henning Mankell? I have just discovered him and can't get enough of his fine writing. Spareribs
                                Happy Anniversary, Evryday... coming from someone who just hit the 19 year milestone, 25 years sounds amazing. I assume you had to survive teenagers? And everyone survived? DS1 is really pushing my buttons tonight... Angry . . . . . Cry
                                Thanks Evan....yep those teens can sure test the patience. Mrsday and I have enjoyed our teenage son, evryothrday, for 19 years. Soccer(as a youngster), motocross racing, pickup trucks, fishing....we've expanded our list of activities that's for sure. He just graduated high school and will be moving to college in August. It is difficult at times....raising kids can be a struggle. I'm sorry your having a difficult time with DS1. I'm sure with time you two will get the joy back! Good luck! Hope to get a run in later this evening. Holly....get yourself healed back up. Sarge...I hope the collarbone get's feeling better......did you charge the mound?
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM