Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 1.23.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Ribs, people often say it is good to have choices, but those two wouldn't be on most people's lists. I'm glad the Saint is going with you today to discuss treatment options, and I know you'll make good choices. I know this diagnosis will weigh on your mind, but I also have a sense that it isn't going to slow you down a bit, and there is something very right about that. I wish you good luck and good health.

Lamerunner,  I hope you can give your ribs a bit of time to heal, and that they do so quickly. We could also use some more snow down this way.

...We may not be Inspirations,

but

we got Some ToughOldGeezers in here.....

You got that half right, TomW: There are so many people on this forum who provide inspiration in many ways. Now, about the old geezers...

Leslie's doing a local! Good luck at Clam Beach - I hope you have a blast!

The forecast was for the temps to go down to 1 last night, but it didn't get that cold: It was 2 (WC at -12) when I headed out as 4 o'dark this morning. I should have worn some wind pants over my tights because my quads got a bit chilled, but otherwise, I was OK as long as I kept on truckin.' 5.6 racewalking miles with a delightful hot shower afterwards.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...jay//.......yeah, I had a couple of other labels in mind, but ''Geezers'' was the one you can say in public....

also

wanted to add

Thanks to tet,,,,, he has been one of MY Inspirations,,,,,,,the man is Amazing with those BareFoot Marathons/////

===========

..8-degrees here

gonna

do 30-days of xbike to see if it will loosen up this hip

already

tried 30-days of Isometrics,

didn't noticeably help.

.....................good running guys....................do it long enough, and YOU can be a ToughOldGeezer too......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, all.

it was a lot warmer down south this morning at 6 degrees.  I thought I could sneak in a quick and dirty MMTD because the forecast was for only 1.  But I ended up actually over dressed AND ran out of time, so only 3.1 miles around the lake.  Sweating more than I though possible at that temperature.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

NHLA

C-R

Hey All,

Typing from Nashville today and I actually got outside to run in a warm 15 but no snow. Back home its -4 with lots of snow. Wow.

As a newer member of this forum, I agree there are some stories in here that keep me motivated and positive about things. I appreciate that as life can certainly throw you some knuckleballs or sucker punches. Thanks for that.

Well back at it.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

lamerunner

Good morning. A balmy 0 this morning, plus a bit of wind which seemend unnecessary.  The warm fleece tights are getting more use than usual this week! I ran about 8  miles around town.

DS has mid-terms and just has one today, this afternoon, so his plan was to aim for 12 hours of sleep. Must be nice... good for him to catch up actually; the winter schedule involves getting up early pretty much every day, and he is still growning.  He looks sort of colt-like with pants which seem always too short.

RIbs, sorry to hear the diagnosis. Even with the good choices of today, it has to stink. Your energy and positive attitude will help you though, and certainly are an inspiration. ( and yes I did get an xray).

Good running everyone!  Send snow...

janie b good

quick hello to all ... rest day for me!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

hey Norm--I'll be in Indy next week for a couple of days.  It does NOT look like any outdoor running while there, though. Maybe when this project heads closer to spring.  Extended forecast shows -14 over Monday night and highs of 4 on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Packing the heavy weather gear--gonna need a big suitcase.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

another beautiful day in Costa Rica. Had monsoon like rain during the night but sun out this morning. No running yet but had bird walk early followed by River rafting. Photos to eventually follow.

King of PhotoShop

Tet, are you going to tell us the Alaska city of five letters?

NHLA, the Hot Chocolate series comes to Dallas sometime in February.  I paced my wife in it one year and she raved about the chocolate afterwards. Had no comment about the race though!

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. Means a lot to me.

Don't mind running in the cold, but I hate a cold wind, so I got 8 in today although I felt like I wanted to do more. It was just a struggle so I called it a day.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

Ribs, you have such a positive outlook on everything so I have no doubt that this will just be blip on your radar and you'll come through it stronger than ever. But in the meantime, I'm sure hearing those words can be difficult to process. More hugs to you and best wishes for a positive outcome.

Socked in the fog yet again today. I've lived in So. Oregon for 13 yrs now and this is the coldest winter I recall. Honestly, I think it's worse than most of my winters back in MN too (but I was young and tough back then also), but this is such a cold damp chill that you just can't shake it seems. Makes it REAL hard to get motivated to layer up and get out there. But I'll it today. David has winter training from 3:45-4:45, so if I'm able I'll pop out of here early and join them. It's road run day. Maybe running with the kids will motivate me.

Tammy

evanflein

Sorry about the cold folks, but it's probably partly because we're having almost record warmth! But we don't want it. It's lightly raining out now, and the roads are just awful. It's not supposed to be this warm in January in Interior Alaska! I'm wondering if they'll close school and send the kids home...

Ribs, sorry about the diagnosis. I've got a couple of uncles in the same situation. Apparently just "managing it" but not aggressively treating it from what I understand. And the city is Sitka, but as Tet pointed out, it's stupid to call them the biggest just because of area because they're not really "cities" but rather boroughs, like counties in the rest of the U.S. The Municipality of Anchorage (the "Muni") is huge, but apparently there are others with broad reaching borders.

Lamerunner, I often feel the wind is "unnecessary" but it's out there sometimes anyway!

I'm ahead of the pace bunny! Yay! Not sure how long it'll stay that way, but I'm running whatever I feel like with no real goal other than 40'ish miles per week. While it feels good, it's also a good way for me to get into lazy habits, so I'm trying to mix up the runs with hills, flats, treadmill intervals, etc. Not sure if I'll run today with rain out there, but I've got my spikes for my shoes just in case.

This morning was another sub zero one so I did the TM again.  I varied the speed at bit and ended up with 8 miles at a 10:54 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

we're having almost record warmth! ....................... I'm wondering if they'll close school and send the kids home...

You don't often see these two thoughts together.....

No run for me today.  Had to go to a wellness assessment - one of the required activities for the County health insurance.  Height, weight, BP and a finger prick for cholesterol and glucose (not fasting).  I go in March to my own doctor for the "real" bloodwork and annual exam.

30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I love this group.

7 miles this a.m.  It was one of those rare runs (at least for me) where everything clicked perfectly and I got into that wonderful zone where it all feels so simple and pure.  Even ran up a couple of hills I normally gas out on.  It was a beautiful, calm, chilly predawn with a gorgeous star-filled sky.  The are the type of run that keep me doing this.

So as I'm getting in the car this a.m., the Hub walks by on the way to his truck and says, "Guess what I did on my birthday?  I threw away my spitter."  Now, I'd seen the bottle in the trash, but thought he'd decided it was finally too disgusting to keep and got a new one.  . . . . . Apparently not.

The story behind the story:  He quit chewing cold turkey about 10 +/- years into our marriage after we went to a baseball coaching conference and he attended a seminar on the horrible affects of chew.  Stayed away from the stuff for about 12 years, then started back up again maybe 4-5 years ago.  I didn't know until I had to get something out of the truck and found a can of chew.  While in rehab, he upped his game in the chew department, which, between smoking and chewing, I'll take chewing any day, although they're both disgusting habits.  Of course while in jail, he couldn't chew, but once he got out, got right back into it.  I haven't said anything because I figure when you're a recovering alcoholic, you work on one vice at time.  Obviously he feels strong enough to tackle this next phase.

As some of you may know, tobacco is a very hard addiction to conquer, and with the work he does, he almost always has a chew in his mouth - when working, when at AA meetings, when . . . . well, you name it.  HUGE kudos and lots of prayers for him from me as he gets through this next phase.   . . . . . love that guy . . . . .

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance