Masters Running

Thursday - 7/9 - What Is Going On!? (Read 40 times)

Dave59

Yesterday, the NY Stock Exchange went down for hours, United Airlines reservation system was down and we had a major problem where I work.

And now this morning (after being up much of the night working on the problem at work), I go out and run my most used 3 mile route and my Garmin went crazy.  Take a look at this if you want to see: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/827875729

Lap 1:  11:48 (and about 1.25 miles)

Lap 2:  8:24 (and probably short)

Lap 3: -127.796 (thanks right folks, a truly "negative" split)

Lap 4: 7:28

Total distance shown as 4.26. Longest 3 mile run ever.

SteveP

How did you feel after lap 3?

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' Dave, Steve, and everyone else.

Interesting pacing, Dave... Are you suggesting that your Garmin glitch was related to the NYSE and UA computer problems? 

Sounds like you did a great job of opening some eyes at your sales meeting, Steve - well done!

Holly, it seems you have to teach your boss a thing or two about managing expectations. Have a great time at your family reunion, and DON'T TAKE A LICK OF WORK WITH YOU!! Vacations are not work time, and if your boss created unreasonable expectations, it is his/her problem, not yours.

The warm, muggy weather blew outta here last night, and this morning was much cooler and drier. But instead of heading out for a workout, I shamelessly snuck back for some more sleep after feeding the cat this morning. We've had company since Sunday, and I've been cooking dinner for 6 each night, and I think I'm a little worn out. It's OK - family #1 is heading back home today. However, family #2 arrives tomorrow. So we have just enough time to change sheets and towels, vacuum and mop, restock, etc. before we begin again. At least #2 will be here over a weekend, so we'll have more time to spend with them instead of sending them to the beach while we go to work.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A break in the time/space continuum?

This morning, 64° felt almost chilly with the much reduced humidity.  10K in one hour felt very pleasant.

Two more days of work and then a novel experience--a week off.  Of course the long range forecast for Maine next week is 5 days of rain.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

We're in Buffalo today on our way to Toronto via Niagara Falls- a long road trip. No running last few days but walking as much as we can. We have a 5K scheduled for Sunday along Toronto's waterfront. Meanwhile we'll see a lot of family and classmates.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning!  Wish I had a 5K this weekend.....or maybe not.  They hurt, I always forget when I sign up for them.

6+ sort of edgy miles right around 9 minute/mile pace last night when I got home from work (DH went out, too).   Then the fish got fried, so 3+ victory laps this am at a leisurely, 'enjoy the day' pace .

Love your Thursdays!

A

ps: just ordered a "new" (refurbished) Forerunner 10, Dave, but the old one has been dying a slow death for some time now.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

HermosaBoy

Good morning!  Wish I had a 5K this weekend.....or maybe not.  They hurt, I always forget when I sign up for them.

Friends don't let friends run 5ks!!!

Anything less than a 10k is just a warm-up...  Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

BlazinCajun

Rob - The race that I dislike the most is the 10k. To me it is double the pain of a 5k for some reason. By the way, the 5k is my favorite.

Went for an evening run yesterday with my daughter, who is a sophomore in high school, and as we started our run along the boardwalk she asked how I felt about her dating. I was not expecting that. We actually had a good conversation and I think she heard how I felt about it. Basically told her it was okay to be friends while in high school and that her mother and I would not advocate dating while in high school in an exclusive setting. Also shared that this is a good time to start thinking about what traits a future husband should have as provider and protector. Also shared that a relationship started in disobedience would not bear good fruit and if her friend really cared for her he would not pressure her into an awkward situation. This run actually ended up being one of her fastest easy runs. Ended the evening with both daughters (after showers) at Starbucks in Barnes and Noble. For now, I don't think I fully answered her question and I'm sure she will want more understanding so I bought her the book "Daniel's Running Formula, 3rd Edition. He has all the answers.

Ran 7 miles on the logging trails/power-line route, very tall grass.

Andrew
                  ------------------
                  God, my Lord, is my strength;
                  he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                  and enables me to go upon the heights.
                  Hb 3:19

Mariposai

Dave59, interesting splits there.

Amos, I just love your posts. You brighten up this place so much. How do you like your Forerunner 10. I have been without a garmin for a year now, I think I will need to start looking for one one of these days.

Holly, what coastwalker says. Enjoy your vacation.

Stumpy, sorry to hear about 5 days of rain in Maine. Have fun anyway.

Henrun, Niagara Falls, that must be a fun long drive to get there. I can't wait to see pictures.

Another smile miles day here for me.  10 miles total: 4 easy miles with the Easy Pacer and then 6 just for the fun of it chatty miles with my rocking RP. Life is so good.

Cheers,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I imagine Steve could do my job for me.  That's what I do every day.  Well done.

Holly, this sounds like a communication skill issue to be resolved, so that it is less of a work issue. Politely ask your boss to say to clients, "Holly will give you some guidance and instruction on how to go about filing for claims..." rather than "Holly will help you file."  Then you give the people the forms or tell them where to get them and instruct them to complete and so on.  "I cannot complete the forms for you of course, but if you have a question I can answer it."

After yesterday's 8-miler I wanted something short today so did 3.4 and felt just fine.  Low 80's, humid, but breezy and fairly comfortable.  Spareribs

Ran 16 but I was duped by my weather app!  Duped! It said NO RAIN in the area.  None.  Zip.  Clouds.  Yes.  Humid.  Yes.  But NO RAIN!  What did it start doing around mile 6 and keep doing until about mile 10?  R-A-I-N.  Well, maybe drizzle.  But that still counts as water falling out of the sky and on to me!   But there was a phone call to help me get over it all.

tomwhite I so hope the operation goes really, really well and you have great results.

For those of you wanting to run a relay in New England this September our Reach the Beach team still has three spots!  Message me to sign up or ask questions or whatever.  Bring a friend, up to two, as well if you like!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you are so busy, all the time - I am envious of your boundless energy!

Deez - Happy Birthday to DS!

Slo - How did your hurt your hand?

SteveP - well done on your talk!

Ribs - my job is more than just filling out the applications.  I take people who are not currently eligible and, by converting assets to exempt or non-countable resources, make them eligible.  I collect information on assets and debts from clients, create a spreadsheet, formulate the strategy, and facilitate movement of assets as fast as possible (yes, sometimes even in a week or two), and file for Medicaid.  I then gather years of statements and documentation, carefully organize and label everything, and meet with the caseworker at the County Department of Jobs and Family Services to go through the paperwork, including spreadsheets of where we began and where we ended up, with explanations and document proof of all valuations and transfers.  Then I continuously follow-up with the caseworkers at DJFS and Area Agency on Aging, gently nudging them along so the case gets resolved and we get a decision in a timely manner.  When we receive the Notice of Approval, we then prepare new estate planning documents for the community spouse and take steps to protect that spouse's remaining assets.  It's a big process, and I always have a lot of plates in the air, but I mostly love it, when I am not completely stressed out.....

Early meeting this morning, so no run, just 45 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly S. I have no idea what you are paid but it is not enough!  Wow, what a job you have!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

I've always told Holly she's not paid enough. She could come up here and make 4x her salary here. Really. And yes I know what she's paid now.

Nice overall pace there, Dave! You've been sandbagging around here big time!   Yes, it's annoying when Garmin's get gremlins. Mine has been having issues "finding" satellites sometimes. I yell at it and point up to the sky "They're all up there, damnit!"

So I have a question for you morning runners... ok, maybe a couple. If you get up and run 10, 13, 16 or more miles on a work day before work, what time do you get up? And what time do you go to bed? I know Jay is in bed before we have dinner many nights, so going to bed at 9 pm isn't gonna work for me. And what time do you have to be at work? I'm up at 6 and can barely get to work by 8:10 most days. That's giving a little time to do something around the house maybe, like empty the dishwasher, throw a load in the washing machine, clean the cat pan, but not much. Holly sometimes cleans her carpets or goes grocery shopping before work. Twocat's out there running 16 miles. Mariposai is running 10 and as far as I know, you all have to be at work at 8 or 9 a.m., right? Just not getting how you can do it....

But, I'm a later day runner anyway. Most of the year, I want it lighter and warmer before I venture out. But I'm not even getting on a treadmill at 5 am!

Got a mile race tonight. This is the one that was postponed two weeks ago because of smoke. If it was like Tuesday, we'd still be in trouble. But it's looking pretty good so far today, so let's hope the smoke stays away and ditto with the possible thunderstorms!

A break in the time/space continuum?

.....I love it......

...............actually,

what scares me is

that if WE have the ability to shut down other countries computers, they should be able to too

...or.....the All Your Eggs in One Basket Dilemma

...or...they all had Charter.....

================

...but I digress

.............20-min xbike standing, strangely I can do that, but riding the Real Bike hurts

...............good running guys......

........if you have All Your Eggs in One basket, remember where you left the basket.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....