Masters Running

Sunday September runs and weekend fun (Read 407 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Erika – very kewl about NYC! Twocat – I looked at Quicken a while back, but it seemed more complicated than I need. I basically just want to set up a schedule of expected expenses and bill due-dates, rather than keeping track of every entry in my checkbook on the computer (no time for double bookkeeping). I think I’ll just set up a simple spreadsheet in Excel. Having set my alarm for 4am, I woke at 3:45, and lay staring at the clock, questioning my sanity. But then I said to myself, “Hey, this would be a LATE start to PDR.” Smile In the winter, I say WWED? (what would Erika do?) to get my self moving, but for early rising, PDR is my motivational role model. Hoping for 18 miles, I decided to do 6-mile loops in my neighborhood, rather than an out-and-back, so that I could stop if I felt this was going to be too much for my still-questionable groin/pelvis tendon issue. What I ended up with was 17 miles, which was still okay with me, ave pace 11:22, which included a myriad of short walk breaks. Not great, but progress, up 2 miles from last week’s LR. I’m happy enough with it. Off to church, errands, lunch, soccer game, etc. Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow Holly, that's really early...what time did you go to bed last night? Smart decision doing loops like you did. Sounds like you are still being smart and careful. Nice job getting in 17 miles...that's a long ways. Just got back from my 10 miler - 1:28 - 8:48 ave pace which made for my first 30 mile weekend ever...today's run wasn't to bad after yesterdays 20. Hope all have good runs today...or what ever you are doing. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Pretty good Holly! By the way, your bank may have an online presence that would give you access to your account, pay bills online, etc. For me, it seems like 12 to 14 miles is all I can manage right now. I'll feel really comfortable till about 10, then drag from there. My stamina needs some work. I guess I better find a plan and a goal race and get with it. What I've been doing is okay, but I need to see some progress. 12.25 miles this morning at 9:15 min/mile pace. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Nice to hear that Dark Colt is going to try cross-country. I do hope he likes it and finds it to be a valuable experience. Holly -we use Quicken. I do most of the bill-paying, but we both do data-entry. Most of our bill-paying is electronic, so we don't write too many checks. It's really easy to set up recurring bills and balance the accounts each month, and I like that I can run reports to see where the money is going (even if I don't like what I see). We're also using the retirement planning feature. Extra sore and tired today - I guess from yesterday's race. Still, I managed to slog through 12 miles at 11:05 pace.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

......you guys are HardCore.........nice running/////// ============= but I digress, ......with that wonderful, loose warm bubbly congestion that heralds a cold starting, I pulled on my Early Cold Weather Gear, (deciding to ''Sweat Out'' the Malady) stepped out into 60-degree weather, and noticed the FOG was so heavy I could only see about 2-blocks in front of me..... .......perfect......this wasn't gonna be pretty. Snot Rocket Check was at 60% Capacity......and I hit the Trails..... ...........45min HeavyHands run......cut short due to being slightly AirDeprived. not too bad. maybe I burned it out. guess I find out tomorrow. .........................good running guys...........off to my 2nd Church...... hope we're singing Something Bubbly Today.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all--every one's out running long today, I can tell. Hannah came through here last night with only a lot of rain. guess there must have been some wind, as there were a lot of leaves and little branches down, but I sure didn't hear it. out for a lake loop of 3.2, mid 60's and a lot less humidity. 29:13 for a sort of slow day, but little complaining from my shin that didn't seem to like 2 hilly runs in a row this past week. I'm hoping sticking to the flats and re-starting some biking will nip it this time instead of trying to run through it. Does anyone have an opinion (sort of a moot question on this board, I know) on a good running magazine to subscribe to? i have gotten a couple of issues of Running Times delivered (not sure how) and it looks interesting,, particularly with it's buy one year, get one free offer. It's the only one I've read so don't know how it compares with others. This evening I'm off for a fun filled week in White Plains, NY. it's the final push of an installation at a gas metering station that supplies 20% of the gas consumed by NYC and we have to have it working by the end of the day on Friday. work days are 6am to 6pm, so I'm seeing not much running in the the next few days. good runs to all. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Kevin, ^^^^^does that mean you'll be dealing with the Dept. of Weights and Measures? I feel for you, bud. They're (geekily) my favorite state entity.....can you imagine having to go around the state and check every farm scale and gas pump? Since I don't have to do those things, I took advantage of this spectacular morning and ran 15 rolling miles at 8:46, the last four at MP or lower-ish...7:40's. Tim....aren't 30 mile WE's a blast? Smart to get the long one out of the way first. See you Walt
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

walt--nope--this is one spot where ConEd gets their natural gas off of one of the major pipelines and brings it down to a lower pressure for distribution. Federal regs govern this, not just a pesky state department Smile

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

DickyG

Even though our scheduled morning doubleheader was rained out, the weather cleared up and it was actually great after about noon. Didn't take very long to organize a golf game, the course apparently drained very well and we were out there by 1:30. Not much roll on your drives but the greens were soft & inviting...shot 72, my best in quite a while. Gordon:
                    DickyG-If you do drive up to Richmond tomorrow...give Dale Jr. a kick in the pants...no more tapering,just win baby!!!
                    If I give him a kick in the pants, I'm puttin' him in the wall....he's not my fav...I'm a Ryan Newman fan. Ribs:
                    I easily outperformed the other 3 people at the pre-registered table, irrespective of AG or sex, so I was pretty happy with this win.
                    Yeah? That's not what I heard, buddy...my sources said you "pinned" 3 female runners...all in the wrong place. Lou: 21:20 in the rain? That's huge. PDR: Same race as Lou, I presume? Great time! I know the weather was horrendous...talked to daughter Saturday morning. Bruce: Another typical top wave run for you...would have been even better without the "Go Dale Jr." comment. Tim: Way to gut it out....Saturday AND Sunday. Busiman: Outstanding race in that H&H..I'm lightheaded just thinking about how hard you ran. Denise: Another great race...yep...stick with your Garmin time. Perch: Did you post the other day that you had leg in a cast? Holly: 17 miles...that's just huge...a few weeks ago, you were probably thinking your running days were over. Twocat: Once I checked the weather, I figured you'd be postponed or cancelled...too bad...I had big bucks on you to win. We went to a Luau last night...great band...even more surprising, they were from West (by Gawd) Virginia. I'll post a pic or two as soon as Queen Pam gets them off her digital. Have a good day, everyone... DickyG
                      My DW went out to do the local 9.4 mile race course. Well she made it to just past the 9 mile mark before deciding to walk the rest of the way in. Still 9 miles is a new distance PR for her. Now to see if I can keep her going on this trend until after the relay race. I have hope! Holly S. great run, especially given you are coming back from a long to recover from injury! biketm good double digit run. Way to help celebrate international long run day! breger1 need a goal race? Why just join the marathon maniacs! They seem to have one, oh, every other week or so. Tongue predawnrunner another good double digit run in celebration of long run day. I have not looked at Quicken's retirement planning feature. Does it do more than project how much you will have given you feed it your expectations regarding your rate of return and rate of savings? Does it use or better yet provide you with any historical data on the returns associated with various asset classes or their long run risks? The reason I ask is because software that just makes projections based on numbers you feed it is, of course, very dependent on what it gets fed and very few people know what the right values really are. stumpy77 I get both Running Times and Runners World. For my money Runners World is way better. My TP, a national class runner, has exactly the opposite view. Guess that is why both are in business! Walt.RB good job on what sounds like 15 pretty tough miles. DickyG, yea, absent any rain I am pretty sure I would have broken the tape in that race. Big grin lol Well I would if I brought my own roll and strung it out at the finish right before coming through! Nice job on the golf course, although I am not sure 18 holes lets you count as an official celebrant of international long run day even though it involves a lot of distance. I will have to check with the authorities. Mariposai I have a memo here from DickyG saying international long run day is Sunday. Sorry but your 15 miler yesterday is a day off. You need to do it again today. Big grin Nice running yesterday though! Have a good day running everybody.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

good morning! Holly, it sounds great to me, but what do I know? I hope all is well. belated congratulations to both beers. nice runs everyone else! TW, you made me laugh. get better. Kevin, good luck with your shin & your project. DickyG, nice golfing Smile. Twocat, congrats to your DW. 8:41 miles in the rain this morning. (a pr she says in a quiet voice). ahr was 167, max 180. average pace 9:50, max 7:46. several small stops to get my hr down. I'm happy with this! Big grin. miles were all pretty close, and the last was the fastest. (9:22). And when I started, my hamstrings didn't hurt at all! It's been a while since I could say that. By the end there was some pain, but it was so much better even that just last week. I must have looked pretty pathetic. It was kind of funny (but nice)... 2 times someone said to me, "good job!". that has never happened before, & I run there every week. first time was a young girl walking along with an umbrella. then laster, some guys that I'd seen much earlier in the run. It was encouraging. might try it myself. time for a shower. i've been home for a long time, eaten & everything, but am still shivering a little. happy sunday.
                        Tramps

Holly—good to see you back doing big miles safely. Our credit union’s on-line services include the ability to download to Quicken; you might check yours. The good thing about having no money is its really simple to keep track of. Tim—nice follow-up run. Tom—feel better. Walter—nice finish on that run. dg—nice PR…and in the rain! 20.1 miles @ 8:38 (144 AHR). I felt flat from the first mile and even took a little walking break at mile 4 during which I recommitted to finishing. It wasn’t ugly; it was just sluggish and uninspired. A “just git ‘er done” kind of run. Beautiful day though and I came across friends I hadn’t seen in a while walking their dogs so I stopped and chatted which, of course, is cheating.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

The Saint doesn't need much motivation to run. This year she is doing very well. Nevertheless, when she comes back from her run, I am careful to ask her how she did and how she felt, and whether it was great or carpy I always tell her she did very well and that I am proud of her. It is a good idea for anybody who wants his or her spouse to exercise more. Twocat, congrats to your wife on her 9. As for me today? Eighter from Decatur! My first ever, in 2:03! I am so pumped. Spareribs
                              22 steady post Hannah miles with Iron J at 7 AM in Longmeadow, MA and Enfield, CT all in 3:08:18---8:35 pace. All the body parts are okay so far after some ice bath soaking and a giant bowl of Nature’s Path pumpkin seed/flax granola with blueberries, strawberries and almonds. I was dreaming of that bowl of cereal in the final miles of today’s run and I swear we picked up the pace as our stomachs growled. The humidity wasn’t as bad this AM, but I had/needed two full bottles of water and 8 s-caps. This was the peak mileage week and I am tired. I did hit 2,000 miles for the year to date though. Congrats to PDR and WRFB. Way to go you age group aces! Good racing to those out there today too. Good running here and some increasing miles. Your stamina will come back Bill and I am doing my best to wish Ike out of the way. Holly, great job….listen to those twinges especially after the longer miles you did today. Dark Horse---great news about Dark Colt. Cross-Country is my true love and the memories from those years are beyond precious to me. We do all our bill paying on-line through USAA since that’s where our mortgage and insurance and all that are handled. It’s marvelous and also has retirement and investment applications. Granted you have to have access through the armed services, but it’s tough to beat rate-wise. Mr. CNYrunner’s father was a jet jock and they let us in because of that. Bill is right though….check with your bank. Quicken is also very good. As for magazines…..Running Times was just purchased by the same parent company as Runner’s World, so the information is starting to look very similar in both. I also get New England Runner and find it much more substantive and it has a great race calendar in there. I received a gift subscription to Marathon and Beyond and that’s my very favorite. There is a high scorn factor for Runner’s World, but I find it useful and interesting. Katie Hoke from Kick Runners is quoted in the October issue in fact! High fives to your wife Twocat. That’s awesome! Spareribs! You rock….8 miles in just over 2 hours. Fabulous! Tramps and PDR---a just get it done run is sometimes more amazing than the ones that flow. Congrats on the 30 mile weekend Tim. Hi dg----great running and get warm now! Off to drop the kiddo at hockey practice and then visit with Super Granny. CNYrunner MTA: Tom White----oh my goodness, your snot rocket check percentage remark had me in oxygen debt I was laughing so.....good one! Big grin
                                I am in awe of the long runs by CNY, Tramps, Holly, biketm, Walt, et cetera. I won't mention beergarden's mere 12.25. I would love to run long, but it's just too risky given my knees. Hmmm ... maybe if I ran very, very slowly I could do it, such as 10:00 mile pace or slower. I don't know. Something to ponder during my 5 mile treadmill runs. 100 pushups, 100 situps, 1 mile on the elliptical. May return to the gym later with Dark Colt, if I can get his @$$ out of the chair in front of his computer. Dark Horse
                                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.