Masters Running

Monday's Daily; 5.11.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

What a horrible story, Roch. It is always incredibly sad when kids discover in the worst possible way that they are not invincible. What a loss for their families.

Be careful of that Texas weather, Ribs.

It was a great day for a bike ride in Boston yesterday, Marj - good choice.

Nice 10K and prep for Vermont Cities, Twocat! I met a woman after my race on Saturday who I had passed about 3 miles from the finish. She told me that when she saw me go by she said to herself "$#it, I just got passed by a walker!" I told her I've heard that before. However, she went on to win her AG and got a big bottle of maple syrup, which took the sting out of getting passed.

Great 13er in nice weather, Holly. How'd the planting go?

"How do you think you did it compared to other races?" Tet, it was a combination of better technique; trying to go, at least for a little bit, with everyone who passed me; paying better attention to my splits; and treating each mile as a new race within the race.  Wow - I'm not familiar with Scott racing poles, but you sure make them sound like a lot of fun!

Great 18er, with bridges, Aamos.

Sorry to interrupt this program, but something has come up, and I gotta go right now. SRD for me today.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning,

Interesting what you wrote Jay, about your race.  I might try and copy the part about trying to keep up for a bit with everyone passing me.  Give 'em some grief, eh?  Again, congrats.

Really sad news from Doug and Steve.  I would have been an awful parent.  Hope the two in critical condition pull through.

Ribs, how are you?  Saw some film of Blackhawk helicopter rescues about 50 miles north of Dallas, I think it was.

And I imagine Carolyn is out shoveling......

DH grilled lobster tails (big sale Saturday--snowbird leftovers?) last night.  We celebrated the Sox win. 

Sleepyheaded me this am, so just 5.5 recovery miles.

Have good days, everyone.

grins,

A

Where's that butterfly report???

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

5 for me today.  47° and foggy out there.

Student painters are here preparing the house for painting. With storms predicted later they won't be able to do much today.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks all.  Things were bad here yesterday.  We went to Hudson's baccalaureate mass, then the graduation brunch and when we got home it was still bad out, so no bbq for us. But we had a great family dinner for Mother's Day and that's all that matters.

Today is bright and sunny, with a crisp breeze, but now I have a bit of  a strain in my lower back, from the pushups I think. So I'm dropping out of the contest, which is too bad because I was kicking butt. Once I'm okay I'll go back to just doing two sets of 50 and that will give me just 100 a day, but that's still pretty good. I was doing 200 a day and I think I overdid it.

So the Saint ran 4 miles at a good clip, and I walked/jogged 2.  Tomorrow I should be good to go.

Who here remembers fredurie?  A local kid filmed a video of me talking about RTYP a month or so ago and just sent me the video.  Here it is if you want to remember the origin of that saying.  The graphic is by Egret:

https://youtu.be/bY_4hichmAc

Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Roch - that is so sad - what a terrible tragedy.

Yesterday was devoted to yard work again - I spent about 4 hours buying and planting flowers.  I need more perennials.  My back is a little sore from the weekend's yard work, but surprisingly not much.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I generally had a good, relaxing weekend, being caught up on the "must-do" Spring chores and having the time to spend on less urgent things around the house, garage, and yard. The running rehab is coming along fine and I might actually have broken through a barrier yesterday when I sped up so much to get out of the rain.

Apparently just a few short runs for this group this morning. I couldn't run this morning due to accompanying my DW to the ophthalmologist this morning (tough for her to drive back with her eyes dilated!), but I might take my bike out shortly to get a ride in before this afternoon's thunderboomers arrive.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

C-R

I guess it finally caught up with me. I took a rest day yesterday and just did soccer, church and family stuff. First one in 290+ days. And today's run was much better.

Sad story Roch. I recall something similar in Evansville when we lived there.  Kids ended up in a retention pond with no survivors. We knew one of the families. All good kids. One lapse in judgement. Hope the two in critical make it.

Nicely done Jay.

Grilled lobster is awesome. Now I'm hungry. Thanks Amy.

Good call ribs. We've had some of those storms here and they are no laughing matter. I use an app on my phone called Weatherbug which has an attachment called Spark. It shows lightning activity in relation to your position and goes out about 10 miles (can go further). I use it for soccer and golf mostly but its a great tool for runners too. Safety first.

Got a surprise business trip to Central Florida first of June to walk through several hospitals and audit. Perhaps I will get to stop at Cigar City brewery on this visit.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Training hopefully starts tonight for either Columbus or NC24. As long as the thunderstorms and Tornado watches clear out. My back is stiff from serious yard work this weekend, but I think I'm good to go.

I'm still mostly lurking--hope everyone has a great day - and week!

MTA:

Went back through last week's dailies--thanks for all the welcomes. And this picture is for evanflein...They grow up too quickly!

evanflein

Oh my goodness, Murphy!! Those kids are growing like weeds! I love that your girl still has those curls! Thanks for the update!

no problem. Always happy to share pics of my kids.  Aidan is nearly off the charts. 95th percentile height and weight--just turned 4. Ava is very tall for her age as well. And I think she is a future runner--She really keeps a good pace running to the playground and back. Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

Murphy - those are some cuties!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Murphy, this site needs a "Like" button that I could just click for the photos of your kids!

Rode 24 miles this afternoon out at the park, meeting up with a couple of old friends unexpectedly to do the last lap. And this time I got home just in time for the rain to start; two days in a row getting caught in it wouldn't have been so much fun.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Roch - so sad about those kids and I really feel for their families!!

Great long runs out there yesterday!!

It must have been 3 in AG day for the Masters(congrats Milktruck and Jay), because I placed 3rd in my age group at the sprint tri as well. I struggled the first half of the swim due to a foolish pre race error.  I had purchased a new long sleeve wetsuit this winter when the sales were great, but I never swam in it until yesterday. Someone told me after I really should have at least soaked it once as they are always extra tight the first couple of times you wear them.  Oh well - always learning!! The water temp was great thanks to the warm weather we've had the last couple of weeks and once I finally regulated my breathing I felt ok. The bike was rough due to the extreme weather we had this winter - the heaves and pot holes were awful - was very glad it was only a 10 mile bike!! Then the run - well always my favorite part, but with this achy heel I played it conservatively. My heel was pretty sore later in the day, but not horrible so maybe there is some progress. Overall, it was a great day and my son Nicholas was there cheering me on every leg!!

When we arrived home, my youngest son had mulched around the bushes in front of the house - so thoughtful!!

Have a great week friends!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

There were so many great race performances, this weekend.  Congratulations to you all!  And, for all of you who are not friends with hermosaboy on Facebook...he ran a 2:46:25 at the Fargo Marathon!

As for my run, tonight...I do not understand my calf.  After limping around all day yesterday and skipping my run...I went out for 6 miles, tonight with no problem.  I ain't gonna complain.

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

SteveP

Grilled Lobster!!!....MMMM.....

Holy smokes thems some cute kids Murphy.

Here's a pictures from last weekend's race.

I think Tag and Noah tied.

SteveP