Masters Running

Fog City RR (Read 275 times)

I love San Francisco--what's not to love, after all? It even inspires me to post a RR this time. I've done this one twice before, but it never gets stale. The marathon (it was Sunday) is a fantastic tour of the City, starting at the Embarcadero, proceeding along Fisherman's Wharf (past the Boudin Bakery, where we breakfasted Sat. am), to the Presidio, then over and back on the Golden Gate, just as the sun rises--on the way back, you could see the City Skyline (in one year past, there was too much fog to see much of anything), then south to the Golden Gate Park, where I could see buffalo, in case I was homesick for 'em, and lots of beautiful flowers. The second half marathon starts in the park, the first one ends there, so we had lots of crowds there as well. After some loops there, we left the Park for the Haight/Ashbury section, then onwards to Candlestick (I hate those corporate names now on so many ballparks and "forget" them whenever possible) and the WIllie McCovey statute sending us home, with one brief loop by the Bay again and across the finish. Since the race starts at 5:30 am, I thought I'd go bright: screaming yellow Maniac singlet, red RaceReady shorts (and my signature styled and cinched garbage bag until safely back over the bridge--it was brisk for the first hour or so.) I had a lot of fun and felt really good at the end--ready for it to be over, but not at all beat up or fatigued. I had a plan and was able to follow it, harder than it seems to accomplish, as many of know! Stats: 334/4354 overall 28/1480 women Surprised 1/66 age group Chip: 1:03:14 at the 7.5 mark an 8:26 pace 1:48:39 at the half (13.1) an 8:18 pace 3:29:09 finish 7:59 pace grins, A
    Masters 2000 miles
      Ahhh...it's lunch time here in MA (at least for me), I think I'll settle in and read some race reports...WHOA! Amy, you are wonderful and the work break race report reading didn't disappoint today. Excellent racing and I love those ever faster miles you had going there and the strong finish. Congratulations on the timing, placement overall and rocking your age group (and many others) once again. Thanks as well for the race course description. I really wanted to do this one since I love San Francisco, but living it through you is hardly tough to do. You are a star. Karin
        What an excellent race Amy, nice pacing throughout for a huge negative split! Congratulations on that 1st in AG award too, not too shabby. Big grin
        evanflein

That's one helluva negative split there! And we all know (or should) that SF = Hilly terrain! Wow, you are amazing. Thanks for posting this RR... yours are always so fun to read (loved the fashion report!).
            Not only am I impressed once again with your AG win, and terrific negative split, but your generous use of parenthesis in your writing likely surpasses mine (which I am trying to cut down on). Wink You Rock Woman!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

#artbydmcbride

Smile Awesome!!! You make it sound so easy! Congratulations!

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow. Just wow. Smile
                xor

Hey Amy - do they still do the weird road closure dealie in the second half? You know, where they alternate which roads are closed every x minutes... so you can be running down a street and then all of the sudden, they pull a rope across and you get pointed THAT way... and then later on, here comes a pack of people running from a direction you did not run... Very nice negative split. This is why I only get to run with/near you for half a race usually. Hee. I'm assuming you got more than a dixie cup of tea this year too!

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - 1/66 AG, amazing negative splits - wow! You rock!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Wow, great race! Strong time and amazing negative splits. I have to learn to do that some day.... plus you were done by 9 am. Still a full day ahead of you!
                        Not only am I impressed once again with your AG win, and terrific negative split, but your generous use of parenthesis in your writing likely surpasses mine (which I am trying to cut down on). Wink You Rock Woman!
                        Thanks--my family interrupts themselves to go off on tangents that do (in our collective opinion) circuit back to the topic, and I am no different, hence the use of the parenthesis (why cut down? I find it makes me clearer in writing, as one is alerted to --oh oh, there she goes again, and can choose to follow or just skip to the conclusion of the sentence.) The family also interrrupts one another, leading the less-than-charming trait we seem to develop of talking UNTIL interrupted, which is why many of us have ended up with quiet (and long-suffering?) spouses and partners. And Thanks you all for your kind words. Yes, they DO that alternative road thing, and I was in the lead for one, as they switched right in front of me, and as you know, given my ability to take the wrong turn and make a marathon an ultra, I was nervous until I got connected with the pack. Pshew, it would be scary to be an elite runner! Again, I got a kick out of being 28th female---those "what am I doing here?" Confused thoughts were with me at the start, looking around at all the young women, talking about their training and Boston, and all looking good, and I'm there in my garbage bag, peering out of my bi-focals under a fringe of salt & pepper hair......y'know. --to end up in the top 2% of all women makes me feel it's ok to keep on doing this running thing. Truly, lamerunner, what you said--it is so fabulous to have the race over and the whole day ahead! grins, and thanks again, A
                        Masters 2000 miles

Renee the dog

Great report. Sounds like an absolute blast! Maybe someday...maybe.... My husband was trying to talk me into starting to think about marathon training on the ride home from my race Sat. night...Perhaps when the kids are a bit older. Thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on winning your age group! NICE!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Congrats Amy, I love your race reports its almost like watching /reading a travel log, Where will Amy race next? You are also really fast! Love the description of the plastic bag at the start. The beauty of being mature is we can handle looks to be comfy. Great race and fast time with negative splits. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Amy.. You ROCK!! Congratulations on the 1st AG and sub 3:30 on a likely hilly course (it is San Fran!) Great pacing too! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

coastwalker

Hi Amy, Another greta race and report! Congrats on your fabulous run and a terrific AG win! I think you were sandbagging while you were garbage bagging - not letting those young 'uns see who they were really competing against. Based on your splits, you were getting stronger and faster as the race went along - who knows how low your pace would have dropped if the race were an ultra! Shocked By the way - I also hate corporate-named ballparks, and also try to always refer to the using their pre-corporate (pre-sellout) name. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.