Masters Running

Sunday 8.2.15 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Hermosaboy - you need to run farther if you are going to eat THAT breakfast....

That's what I was thinking too. I was also thinking that Ms. Hermosaboy is another goddess!

I suppose Running With The Fishes is a lot better than swimming with the fishes...

I hope you made it up the stairs, Mike.

LaT, if you do your workouts at J o'clock, you won't have to worry about sunscreen.

Enke - enjoy time with your guest, whoever it is.

Robin, compared to me, I'll be you and DH looked like Fred and Ginger on the dance floor. Regardless of what you think of your performance, I hope you had fun. You picked a gorgeous day today for a trip to Maine.

We had two newbies at our racewalking clinic yesterday: Courtney was a natural, and picked up the basics of racewalking almost immediately. She could be a serious regional (if not national) racer if she wanted to get serious about it. Quinn, however, was like most of us mere mortals, and it's going to take a bit more practice to get his body parts to do what his head is telling them to do. They both are on crew teams at UNH, and so are in great shape to begin with. I went 7.3 RW miles early yesterday, then went out to breakfast with DW (eating far less than Hermosaboy!) before the clinic. I stopped at the farmer's market after the clinic, and picked up some yummie veggies.

8.3 RW miles in delightful weather this morning: 63F temps, low humidity, and a nice breeze. The nearly fool blue moon was still high in the sky, even as the sun crept up toward the horizon over to the east. I didn't have any speed this morning, and didn't try to push it, and just spent the time working on technical weaknesses instead. I was supposed to race a one-hour judged racewalking race today, but my cough, though better, is still with me, and so I thought it best to bag the race. Too bad - it's a great race with some outstanding competitors. There's always next year...

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all who follow!!

35 minute open water swim followed by 2.2 easy recovery run for me this morning.  Feeling good after yesterday's brick workout and dinner out with the hubby last night!!

Have a wonderful Sunday my friends. I am heading down to Plymouth Ma for the baptism of my newest godchild!! Smile

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings, all.

Glad the cough is getting better, Jay.  No need to aggravate it racing.

beautiful day for swimming, Deez.

I did my long(-ish) run yesterday because today will be a shorter than normal day in Maine.  I have to go home to pack so I can go to work on Monday and then off to Raleigh, NC for a three day training course.  I'll also be dropping of BIL and SIL at Logan to start on their way back to Bangkok.  DW is REALLY excited to be all alone with DF for several days until her second brother arrives to transport him back to Rochester.

So the long(-ish) was 8 miles at 10 m/m pace and it felt pretty nice.  Today's was 4.6 at 9:40.  I even had an entire mile at under 9.  There's still hope for me, I guess.

Erika--that would have been very cruel to have posted that on a work day.  The two bears that were fishing looked like they were still waking up when I looked at 6am Alaska time, but still mesmorizing.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I will be too preoccupied for daily posts....

I'm not going to touch that straight line...

Ran 6 out at Stoney Creek Metropark on the monthly club Bagel Day gathering. As usual I ended up slow and alone, so decided to do my favorite trail loop for the first time this year. There is always one particular wet spot on the trail, but in the middle of summer and as dry as it's been I figured it to just be slightly muddy. Wrong! It was basically impassable without getting my feet wet. First I tried going around it to one side only to sink halfway up my ankle in water. Then I tried going through the least-deep muddy part and managed to only get mud up to the top of one shoe. So I ended up with one shoe and sock soaked and the other shoe and sock mud-covered, but finished with no other problems. At least the coffee and bagel and sitting around catching up with folks made it worth it. Next time I'll take the alternate path around the mudhole!

Anyone racing this weekend? Let's hear how you did!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Deez - Heckofa workout yesterday!

Kevin - sounds to me like some quiet time in NC might be nice right now after the jumble of visitors.

DH worked yesterday and today, and also both days last weekend, trying to stock up on overtime.  While I am proud of him for being such a hard worker, I really think he should take a day off.  I do admit (selfishly) that I resent the alarm going off at 5am on the weekend as well as weekdays.  (I can't really tell him this, because he is getting up and going to work and I am not, but it sort of ruins the whole "sleeping in" thing, and I tend to just get up.)  Also it makes him really grumpy (understandably) and no one wants to be around him.  But mostly I think it is not good for him, physically or mentally.  In spite of taking meds, the dr said yesterday that his BP is up somewhat alarmingly, and his diabetes numbers are not good either.  It's just not worth it, to me.  Money is just money, and if it gets a little tight for a while, we will catch up.  It's not worth putting his health at risk.

I will say, though, that while I didn't like getting up at 5am, it certainly helps in the summer to get an early start on your LR.

I thought I would try a wave run today.  It has been so long since I've run any shorter races that I have no idea what paces to use for my "faster" miles, but I thought I would just see what felt good and how long I would last before returning to my usual snail's pace running.  It went a little better than expected, although I definitely need some faster-paced running more often.

It went like this:

10.1 miles, with miles 3, 5, and 7 at (8:54, 8:35, 8:44) and the rest of the run pretty slow.

Then I had to stop and run DD over to church (she dances for the younger kids this weekend), and came back home to find my legs had stiffened up a bit and the sun had risen higher and the heat had gotten hotter.  I ran 3 more miles around the neighborhood, then came home, took 10 minutes to put hair color on my roots, then hopped on the TM for 2.7 more miles while the color set.

15.8 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...no work-out yet, but GOOD NEWS

===========

just got invited to goto Germany for 10-days next year

by

our Army buddies who did 2-tours of duty over there ( Armour Division)

Fresh German Beer

if that doesn;t give you a Reason to Survive Surgery nothing will>>>>>>>>>YOWZA

===========

we now return you

to your Regularly Scheduled Running Forum

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Holly, it absolutely never occurred to me to run while waiting for the hair dye to set.  Great multi-tasking!  Usually I just listen to my iPOD and surf the net....

9 miles of horse trails.  There were not pretty miles, and I sure took a zillion walk breaks, but I got it done.  Top of one foot feels sore and hope that goes away tomorrow.  So, 19 miles over the past 3 days - pretty awesome for me.  25 for the week, substantially up from averaging 4-6 miles a week last month!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

HermosaBoy

Holly -- that is some amazing multi-tasking!!!

14 mile run along the beach this morning.  Surprisingly humid -- did we bring it out from Minnesota?

Now to relax before a wedding tonight.  Last night in California...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, masters!

I survived my first relay!  I wish it was with a group from here, instead of a group of mostly strangers, but I had a good time!  It was the Wild West Relay, "Get Your Ass Over the Pass"  -  I think Aamos has done this one before, right?   It's a 200 mile course from Ft. Collins to Steamboat, over two passes, and in two states (CO and WY).

We were originally in the mixed division, but had to switch to Helter Skelter division, which didn't require that teams run in the same order of runners, because one team member had to work Friday and didn't get there till evening.  Our two vans were nicknamed "young guns", also called the "entitled millenials,"  and my van, the Masters of Everything.  I ran the first leg with the masters, which was great, but then I switched to the millenials van to fill in for the runner who wasn't there yet, and he joined the masters and ran my leg when he showed up later.  I stayed with the millenial van for the rest of the race.  I much preferred hanging with the masters, because the millenials were kind of annoying, but I got to run two fantastic legs by switching vans - much nicer than the legs I would have run had I stayed with the masters van.  During my 2nd leg I saw a beautiful sunset and the blue moon rising, and during my 3rd leg I saw the sunrise and the moon setting.    I got to ride back to Denver in the masters van, at least.

We finished 3rd in the Helter Skelter division out of 31 teams, and 11th of 82 teams overall.  And I saw Opie at the finish line with his team, wearing a tutu!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Holly, you are the mukti tasking queen. Great job on the wave run.

Fun experience in the relay run, Wildchild.  Wish you run on roads.  The Rozie RuizFanClub  is a fun team to do relay with.

Enkie,  great running and enjoying the weekend.  Ys your visitor there yetSmile

Just a quick brea from workfor me. Working on contracts  lixurely from home.

4.3 easy miles this morning before the sun heat up the valley.  48 miles total for the week.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Fun experience in the relay run, Wildchild.  Wish you run on roads.  The Rozie RuizFanClub  is a fun team to do relay with.

Posie, the relay WAS on roads - some paved and some dirt.  I would certainly prefer trail running,  but most relays aren't on trails.  I'd love to run with the RosieRuiz team, but it's pretty far away!   Maybe we could do a relay in the PNW next year?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just checking in to say hi.  I ran 6 miles, today.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey!  I'm back!

After competing in their 1st bike race, last week, Mikey's twins competed in their 1st running race, today.  My DIL just texted these pitures to me so, of course, I have to share...

This is Sonja looking back to see where her sister is...

This is Freja...coming in dead last...

Then, they were so hot, they took off everything their mother would let them take off...

By the way...that's not their mother behind them...I'm not sure who that is.

evanflein

Mike, what race was that? They're adorable, stripping down to the bare essentials! If that's in the Anchorage area, they sure had a nicer day than we had!

Holly, I'm very impressed with your multi-tasking, but that's a long break between your wave run and the rest. Like Enke, I'd never thought of the TM while waiting for the color to do its thing. I'm usually sitting in the kitchen, drinking wine and watching TV while DH does all the work!

Wildchild, that sounds like a pretty fun but challenging relay. Going over two passes can't be easy, that's for sure! I've done one relay, and the only "trail" parts (or off road sections) were done by DaveinAA in the dark. I ran one of the next sections on a rough broken up asphalt part where I almost fell a few times, but made it through. Relays are awesome, but yes I can imagine that an age group split like that would be a challenge.

Today was overcast and chilly almost all day. Well, it was overcast all day, but warmed up a bit and felt pretty humid (for us) later. We had to take our truck out to North Pole (yeah, not THE North Pole and it's actually 14 miles SE of us) for some work this week, and afterwards I headed out for a long run, hoping to get at least 15 miles and up to 18. Met DH at 11.7 miles with my Nuun, and that was it till I got home. My multi-tasking was I sent him to the store with the shopping list and he did the grocery shopping! Made it all the way home, so 18.4 miles and a little over 57 for the week. Nice way to start August. And it didn't rain!

Alaska rockfish with panko/parmesan crust, steamed broccoli from my garden and potatoes from Palmer (near Anchorage) since mine aren't quite ready. A totally Alaskan dinner, except for the lemons (for the fish) which came from somewhere else.

Mike E

MM #5615

It was Running With The Musk Ox in Palmer.