Masters Running

Happy Squirrel appreciation day Tuesday 1/22/2013 (Read 54 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Sorry--but I think I'd rather hear Tet's story...

I did 12.3 miles on the treadmill in 1:36:46...and my 150 seconds of planks.

I sure love being a runner.  No matter what I am going through in my life--I've always got my running.  And you guys know exactly what I'm talking about...man, I love this place!

Okay--I feel myself getting a little too deep--I'll spare you...this time...

SteveP

I'm gonna have to try the smoked meatloaf...It's crossed my mind.

I had the opportunity to say good bye to my friend John today. Thank goodness his family was there. We exchanged anecdotes and much laughter. We've jumped off of cliffs together as well as bridges in the dark. We've also been on an abandoned farm and climbed up a grain silo that had the ladders removed. I got the inspiration for that by watching Batman. After I bit I added, "Then there was the dumb stuff".

His sister and I were alone with John and he was reminded of who was waiting for him. I thanked him for the adventures we had and told him his next one was going to be the best yet. Even if it were 60 years until he sees his girls again, how long will that really be compared to eternity? At that time, they will understand their relationships. I said, "I really don't want any stories about you getting back to me." Then, "Good bye John.". Then left his family with this most personal of times with him.

In the truck, the brave face came off before I went for home. I wasn't a mile down the road when Hospice called and said he had passed.

Though I had today off, I considered blowing off the run. Tag reminded me it was a sacred holiday, so we borrowed Honey and went into the woods with the outside temps at 1F. 

We started at 10:44 AM for a half hour out and back so I could get to Hospice. At 10:44:03, Honey's leash slipped through my hands. We ran and ran. When Tag picks a route, it's tough. Often it's hands and knees up hills and the down hills are spent trying to choose the least painful tree to crash into. The route Honey picked made that look like amateur night.

The doggie in the pink is in the trees to the right.

The doggie in the pink is at the top of the hill.

There she is!! And them off again.

She's to the left.

After well over an hour, she was finally caught...she listens like a cat...We climbed to the top of the nearest hill, and I fell through the ice.

The dark spots are water. It's 1F and there is open water on top of a hill. Looking closely, it's easy to see it's flowing. The dogs and I spent the next hour running with wet feet. I didn't let them stop for fear of frost bite. By that time I had quit sweating and my Batman sweat shirt was all white...We found part of Tag's "Psycho Path" and I called DD#2 to come get her monster mutt and us. 2 hours 20 min...I called her a little Shih Tzu a few times

SteveP

Steve - Big grin  Those darn dogs complete you!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Spareribs I started at the end of the daily and saw the smoked meatloaf comments.   Then tracked it down to you.   Thanks for the recipe.  I plan to give it a shot shortly after I get home.

Since I am posting I got in 6 miles on the TM.   The problem is I am up in Jackson Hole for some post conference R&R.   There is just no oxygen up here!  Wildchild no commentary!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Mainerunnah - nice racing!

{{{SteveP}}}

Yesterday we woke up to 4 degrees and a 2-hour school delay because of the cold.  I texted my boss this:

The schools are on a 2-hour delay because of the cold.  The big wussies.  My Alaska friend Erika would send her boys down to the bus stop in 40 belowSmile

Anyway, I went in 2 hours late and took the opportunity to run 9.5 miles on the TM.  Still have a cough, but almost better.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Yesterday we woke up to 4 degrees and a 2-hour school delay because of the cold.  I texted my boss this:

The schools are on a 2-hour delay because of the cold.  The big wussies.  My Alaska friend Erika would send her boys down to the bus stop in 40 belowSmile

Schools get delayed when it's just cold, without any snow or ice?  You're right, they're big wussies.

Speaking of wussies - Twocat - how high is Jackson Hole - 6,000 ft?   And this is post-conference so you've been there a while already?

Can't complain about the Denver weather - it was 55 yesterday and I ran a sproinky 6 miles after work.  Today it's supposed to be in the 60's!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

no no no. i live in the land of wussies! We had a school closure day in December because snow was in the FORECAST for later that day. no snow on the ground - just in the forecast! A whole 2-3 inches of snow in the forecast!

and then we never even got any. . .

Tammy

evanflein

Ha! Did you really? That's hilarious! And actually... on those days we'd usually drive them down and wait with them. Big softy, that's me.

{{Steve}} you are a good friend.

My DH makes an awesome smoked meatloaf. Well, actually, it's a team effort. I mix it and get it ready, he cooks it on the grill. Perfection is when you have that nice "smoke ring" around the outer edge when it's done. Man that's good.