Masters Running

RR -- Bud Break 5k (Read 252 times)

HermosaBoy

This race has a sentimental spot in my heart because it was the first race that KeeMan ever ran. As I recall, I was training for Grandma's Marathon that year and was injured and couldn't run with him. Really hilly course, and my little 12 year old is out there all alone. I told him to shoot for 28ish and he rocked it to a 23:33. Fast forward 4 years and now it's CamScam's turn to take a shot at this beast of a course. The race is held the first Sunday in May every year in the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum (hence the name Bud Break). Beautiful scenery along the course, but I think there MIGHT be 50 feet of flat the whole way. For sake of argument about the course -- here's the GPS data from CamScam today: Photobucket So, plan of attack for CamScam -- beat his brother's time for an age graded family PR. Got to the race in plenty of time to check in and then head out for a warm-up. Took him out the last .55 miles of the course so he would know what to expect, then sent him back to the Visitors center. I looped the whole course. At the start, made sure he was far enough forward (last weekend he was way too far back and got caught up with the walkers). A quick double fist pound and we are ready to go! I suggested that he should get out in around 7:00 to 7:15 for the first two miles and then see what he could do over the last part. I also warned him about all the yahoos that will get out WAY too fast the first 1/4 mile because it's downhill. He knows this, but dads worry. Ooops -- competitive juices must have been flowing for him -- first mile was 6:39. So, can't give much commentary for him other than the splits (he wore my garmin and I ran without Surprised ). Mile 2 -- 7:36 -- ouch, that first mile was expensive. So, now what's a young runner to do??? Pick it up!!! Mile 3 -- 7:17 Last 0.107 -- 0.34 (5:10/mi pace) -- the boy's got a kick! Final time of 22:06 to DEMOLISH his brother's time! I think there may be a bit of trash talking later tonight at their mom's house... Not sure where he finished overall, but I am guessing top 20 (which means I owe him $5 -- it was $20 for top ten). He did win his age group. Big grin As for hermosaboy... Main reason I gave CamScam the garmin to run with was that pace did not matter. I was running for the win! I think I ran this as best as I could. Couple of jokers sprinted out at the start. Knew they had no business out there (one was around a 14 year old kid that CamScam ended up beating). Passed the kid at around 0.25. Just trying to stay smooth. Heading up the first hill, could tell that the other person would come back. Last year's winner is right on my shoulder. Hmmm -- this could be interesting! Move into first place 4:18 into the race. 2nd is right on my shoulder as we come to mile 1. This is where he made his move on Brian last year. Seems like he is going to try it again, so I surge a bit. Open a little bit of a lead, but I am staying on it. When we get to 1 mile to go (no two mile split), looks like I have him by about 20 yards. I HAMMER the downhill before the last climb leading to mile 3. Steal a glance on the turn leading to the hill -- he's not coming. Just keep turning them over -- Hermosaboy FTW by 18 seconds!!! Here's the stats from my timex: Mile 1 -- 5:49 Next 1.107 -- 6:16 (5:39/mi.) Last 1 -- 5:31 17:36 for a HUGH course PR (last year was 18:30 to finish 2nd). CamScam and I both got nice medals and I won a $100 gift card to use at the Arboretum -- nice! Smile

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Woo Hoo! I love reading your reports hermosaboy and the pride you have for your speedy family comes booming through. Serious racing genes there. Uh and don't be calling ME a sandbagger! Huge PR is right and some nice swag to boot! Seriously, great racing and successful kicking for the win. I know you have a whole series of races on tap and I can't wait to see these numbers drop even more. I know they will Tongue Just sayin' Congratulations! Karin/CNYrunner
        OMGosh....the hermosas have got it going on! Shocked Shocked Shocked
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        wildchild

Carolyn

Man, you guys are hogging all the good running genes! You have one fast family. How old is Camscam now, and how old was Keeman when he ran this race? Oh, never mind - I see he was 12.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Like father like son. good racing indeed. Congrats to you both. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Wow.....hope the fire department was on-hand to put out all of the flames trailing behind you! Congrats!
              Personal Records 5K - 21:35
              HermosaBoy

Wow.....hope the fire department was on-hand to put out all of the flames trailing behind you! Congrats!
                Everytime I see your name it puts a smile on my face. Junior High, my PE coach was Coach Bryant. Great coach and I think he first got a running bug in my head...

Rob

Great report. It is SO neat that your kids are running and doing well too. You will have years ahead of you where you can be cheering and coaching them along the way. Stay healthy and enjoy this stage in your life. Congratulations on the PR. Joey
                  Vista
                    I get winded just reading your reports--that's quite an accomplishment, congrats! And a big round of applause for CamScam. (How's the KeeMan taking this??) grins, A ps: let us know what you get at the Arboretum--I'm guessing you can buy trees and shrubs, etc. to plant at home? My lawn is in need of perking up!
                    Masters 2000 miles
                      The Hermosa men are running studs! Better watch out, though. I think I see CamScam sneakin' up on your PR in a year or two. Wink

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Way to go, hermosa clan. Congrats to dad on the win and course PR. Congrats to CamScam on AG win and beating KeeMan's time. TomS

King of PhotoShop

We all know what a fine runner you are so it's in the DNA for the boys. What a great 3rd mile he ran. That takes heart to do that and I hope you told him so. I am sure you are very proud, as you should be. Nice win for you to Rob. Spareribs
                          HermosaBoy

Uh and don't be calling ME a sandbagger! Huge PR is right and some nice swag to boot! Seriously, great racing and successful kicking for the win. I know you have a whole series of races on tap and I can't wait to see these numbers drop even more. I know they will Tongue Just sayin'
                            That's a course PR -- I had no time goal going in... Tongue Wink

Rob

SteveP

Good Gravy Rob!!! What a proud Dad and a great example to them boys. Thanks for the RR.

SteveP

Great race That is another fast time you posted there. I cannot wait to start running shorter races after my marathon in two weeks. I love running 5k's...and you and I would be so close on most of them... Congrats to you and Camscam Tall

Recent Best times: None recently