Masters Running

Palindromal Friday: 51515 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tough to say who won yesterday's photo award: Twocat, Mariposai, or Evanflein. OK, maybe not so tough...

Last night, I had a half marathon planning meeting. Today, we meet with the Army Corps and the NH Dept of Historical Resources about a dam we need to replace. Tomorrow, we have our annual painted rain barrel silent auction. And Sunday, I'm hosting 1 mile, 3K, 5K, and 10K judged racewalking races. So I've got a busy and varied few days.

After feeding the cat at 4 this am, I went back to bed. That lasted for 10 minutes. Then I got up and went out for 4.9 RW miles on a cool (44F), refreshing morning. Nice.

OK gotta go.

Have fun with palindromes today!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Jay - Thanks for taking the time to start up the daily.

After a couple of days feeling carpy, I was feeling better this morning. I did some easy stretching and flexibility stuff while watching the local news and when I saw there was a gap in the rain clouds on the radar I headed out for 4.49 miles.

Congratulations to David for a great finish to a great season. That was some good running for a freshman.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Glad we've got Dave to keep track of the details.    Way to work around the rain.

I found it hard to tell the photo series apart.

Living in Alaska lets you say "it's only a moose", sort of like Carolyn saying "it was only 27 miles".  Things that ordinary folks don't get to say.

Hope you won't be bored, Jay.

Out for 4 miles this morning.  Gorgeous, sunny day at 42 °F when I made it out.  Getting to almost tempo at 9:20 for my present fitness.  I woke up with a mystery sore spot on the inside of my right ankle.  It feels more like a bruise than anything structural and didn't bother me (much) while running.  We'll see what the wisdom of going shows later today.

Happy Friday all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Living in Alaska lets you say "it's only a moose", sort of like Carolyn saying "it was only 27 miles".  Things that ordinary folks don't get to say.

The woman I carpooled to Utah with, Ultra Andrea, was talking about how she used to do triathlons, but they got too expensive.  I asked her how she found time to train for 3 sports - it's hard enough finding time to train for just running.  She said, "Well, the running part is only a marathon, so long runs only need to be 20-22 miles.  (She's training for her 8th 100 miler...)

I had a greta 12 mile trail run yesterday in the state park.  The snow is mostly gone, although some trails looked like streams, with all the snowmelt flowing down.

I loved the pictures yesterday!  Twocat - you've posted pictures before of running near the ocean or L.I. sound - so I know not all your views are busy highways!  And Mariposai - what a beautiful course!  And Erika - your kitty isn't fazed by a moose in the yard?  My dogs would be barking their fool heads off!

MikeE - did you ever explain about the two houses?  Are you moving?

Re: vacation time - I've always taken long vacations - when we travel overseas, we always go for 2-3 weeks.  If you only go for a week, you'd be jet lagged most of the time!  I guess I've been lucky that the companies I worked for were okay with it - if I didn't have enough paid vacation left, I'd take time without pay.  As long as we weren't swamped with work, they never minded.  And especially if work was slow, it probably  helped them out, so they could save some $.   It always amazes me that some people brag about never taking vacation - I think they have their priorities all wrong.

Good luck to this weekend's racers!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

My DS #1 just took a management position with the company he's with which meant a substantial raise. Good news. But they never replaced him at the job he was doing before he started his new job, and now he's doing both of them. Working 60+ hours a week with a wife who's a PA in the emergency rooms at two local hospitals doing day/night shifts and having 3 little boys under the age of 5 is not conducive to a happy lifestyle. He's under so much stress right now - hair is falling out and my DIL says he's grinding his teeth while he's sleeping. Worry about that kid. Take the time off you want Erika! Life is too short!!

Loved all of the pictures the last few days - urban crawl, gorgeous mountains/water and a moose in a garden. No wonder I love this Master's Forum so much!

Congrats to David - I see great things in that young man's future.

Nice runs by the fellas this morning, and glad your snow is mostly gone Carolyn. Our DD lives in Denver, and she called me Mother's Day morning complaining that there was a half foot of snow on the ground and it was still coming down.

Enjoying a couple of days of taper time. I'll work the expo this afternoon and pick up the packets of my friends coming in from Minnesota who won't arrive until Sunday morning. Knowing what a Packer fan Mike is, I'm curious to see what his reaction will be to taking a lap around the inside of Lambeau Field.

Happy Friday everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Beautiful pics yesterday from Mariposai and Erika!

No run for me today, since I have Tie Dye 32-miler tomorrow.  Looks to be a hot one, maybe with thunderstorms.  But not cold!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Almost electrocuted my BIL this morning.  Nice having the family here. Not sure how they feel about it though.

The Saint and I got 4 in this morning in a light drizzle at the park. It's supposed to rain all through the weekend. People are getting tired of it, but I don't mind. All the lakes and reservoirs are full and we've had drought here the last 5 years.  People complain about everything.

Spareribs

TammyinGP

there are other, probably less criminal ways, to get relatives out of the house Ribs.

Here's David's "almost" podium finish from yesterday:

He's back at the track for Day 2 of Districts all day today, even though he's not running. Yesterday was actually prelims for most runners, except the 3000m doesn't have a prelim and just goes straight to finals. 

re: vacation time. I'm lucky that our company is very generous with time off and since I'm basically my own entity at our company, I don't have to coordinate time off with anyone else like the secretaries do. but the the drawback is that because I am the only one in my position, that means no one covers my work while i'm gone. I get 5 weeks or so a year (i've lost track to be honest), plus  12 personal time off days. I generally only use anywhere from 2-5 of those days per year though and take the remainder in a cash-out at the end of June.  

I should run a few trail miles tonight when I get home, since I haven't run since Wednesday. tomorrow will be a long day with an adoption event I'm helping at, and then phone shopping with David. . . i'm still confused on all the phone options out there and what are the best deals. it's overwhelming and i've never shopped for phones before, so i'm going in fairly ignorant.

Tammy

Almost electrocuted my BIL this morning.

So where'd you screw up? Better luck next time.

I had a wonderful massage yesterday that really worked some kinks out. The woman I've been going to worked in PT for 20 years, so her massages are much more targeted than the typical "incense and soft music" massages (or at least that what I tell my DW). Anyway, I think that things are really progressing nicely.

My only activity today was a trip to REI for the opening day of their big annual sale, but tomorrow I plan on attending the club's weekly Saturday run. Then on Sunday, I have to get up at Jay'o'clock to be out at the park by 6AM to work the "Back to the Beach" trail HM. It's a fundraiser for "Medals for Mettle" that's run by one of our more popular club members. It's really gotten huge over the years, having added a 10K and 5K to the mix. Good income for the park, too, as you need to pay for park entry if you don't have an annual pass.

Hope the rest of you enjoy Friday and are looking forward to a busy but fun weekend!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Congrats to David, and good luck with the phone shopping, Tammy.  I, too, would be totally clueless.

Holly - Good luck with the race tomorrow!  I am actually starting to have withdrawals from not participating in a race since last October, and more than likely won't again until the end of July.

Lovely pictures yesterday!

This morning was one of those mornings where you keep waking up, but you can't get your eyes to open.  Even the idea of watching another episode of Downton Abbey couldn't move me from bed.  And then once I did get up, I felt like I'd been drugged.  Yuck!  So my 1-hr stat bike ride and core/ST will be shifted to some time this weekend.

Wishing you a Happy Friday, and Fantabulous Weekend ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mari, great scenery.  Nice long runs for evan, Twocat, and wild.

Yesterday, I didn't post my run.  When I got up, the temp was close to 30°, when I went out, it was close to 40°, and when I finished, it was close to 50°.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:23 pace.

When Holly posted on how to post pictures from FB, it looked so much easier than the normal rigamarole that I decided to try it.  It's been awhile since I posted a picture of our grandson, so I will take the opportunity to do so now.  When we were informed that Thomas was going to have a new little brother this summer, our daughter got the two shirts shown below.  If you can't read all the words, the one he's wearing says, "I'm the big brother" and the onesie says, "little brother".

My little buddy likes to play pool.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

I get 5 weeks or so a year (i've lost track to be honest), plus  12 personal time off days. I generally only use anywhere from 2-5 of those days per year though and take the remainder in a cash-out at the end of June.  

Okay, I admit that I am totally jealous of this.....

Nice picture of David!

Tom - adorable grandson!  And do you know, he looks a lot like you!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mini Clif Bars
                            KIND fruit-and-nut bars
                            NUUN tablet packets
                            donuts and muffins
                            Starbucks instant coffee packs
                            Tevana Oprah Chai packets
                            plastic sun glasses
                            mini carabiners
                            flashlight key fob
                            tube patch kits
                            water bottles
                            to say nothing of the all-you-can-eat strawberry shortcake and Starbucks coffee I got at the Starbucks stop of today’s annual city-wide Bike-to-Work Day plus high-lighted by passing more than 100 cars, trucks, vans, buses like they were just rocks and trees standing still at morning rush hour stop lights.  No wonder I like living in the big city so much.

A new sample product was the “tough, tear-resistant, natural, sustainable and biodegradable” Bamboo Cycle Wipes for “cleaning greasy hands, chain grime, rims, frames, saddles an shoes” and that only take “28 days to compost.”
                            Nice grandson photos Tom; my 5-yo’s coming down next week for first visit since last October.

Just talking on the phone, I can tell he’s grown up so much.

I thought Tammy's phone shopping was like E-bay on the telephone.

Figuring GS will like it (and learn how to count in Japanese),

I got a fax/phone in Japan that speaks the numbers when dialing.. 
                            ps erika.  Huh, you need an ID to get in the gym up there nowadays.

Don’t tell me people are locking their doors now too.

pps - nice moose.
                            ppps wildchild.  Ask your friend if she’s tireder after her IM’s or Centuries.

If I wouldn’t have quit IM’s because of the then-new rule that "shoes are required on the bike and run courses," it would have been because of the $700 entry fees, that’s for sure.  Actually, since I got around the rule by stuffing my flipflops in a fanny pack, I guess it was the entry fee, after all.
                            pppps wildchild - sorry to say, but you might as well start thinking about where you’re gunna run your first century too.

ppppps roch - I bet he took him out to run in a thunderstorm.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Enjoying a couple of days of taper time. I'll work the expo this afternoon and pick up the packets of my friends coming in from Minnesota who won't arrive until Sunday morning. Knowing what a Packer fan Mike is, I'm curious to see what his reaction will be to taking a lap around the inside of Lambeau Field.

Didn't I ever tell my story about running in Lambeau?  When I did the marathon there, a few years ago, I was wiped out near the end, when they directed us through the tunnel and onto the field.  I was already annoyed that we had to go in there and, when I say that they had roped off their precious field and made us run around it on a concrete path, that really irritated me.  So I was  going around the far end, when I got this bright idea in my head to spit on the field.  I conjured up the biggest wad of spit I could and sent it hurling toward Lambeau's pretty green turf.  All of a sudden, a huge gust of wind came across the field and blew that spit all over my leg!  I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Thanks for picking up our stuff!

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Afternoon.....and the weekend is circling the landing field!

Just a quick one today...

Kevin  steals all my best quotes:

And loved the photos.

More on that story, Ribs, please!

Hello tselbs!

Sadly, we don't get to see the Mariners in their sartorial splendor, as the games are on too durn late for TV to run them.  Sorry how's it going for them, sorta kinda sorry, you know what I mean, tet....

Ran with the Speedsters again last night, YAY!  2 warm up miles for me, then 6 with the group along the Caloosahatchee River-- first time in months I was able to get in both Tuesday and Thursday, full workouts both nights.  So a very easy 3+ for me this am.  Going to do a "Double Race" in Ft. Lauderdale Sunday.  a 5K and then a 10K.  DH is doing them as well.

Happy Weekending!

grins,   A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)