Masters Running

Sunday the day after the 4th!! (Read 29 times)

Hi friends - hope you all had a wonderful holiday! We had a calm, easy day at work which was quite pleasant! I ran to a friends house who lives less than 3 miles from the hospital and she was waiting for me at the start of her street and wakes me to her home.Then her husband was at home cooking us veggie burgers and they were wonderful hosts! Another reminder of how blessed I am with good friends! This morning I left a little early to get in an easy run before work -5.8 miles and she rode her bike to work.

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend friends!!

ps - thanks Tet for the salmon info!

denise

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Seems that you had a great day yesterday, Deeze, and a good run to get today started.

Is today a race/long run/party recovery day for most folks?

Mike, even with not running the race you wanted, 3rd AG against the best seniors in the country is not too shabby at all - congrats!! Congrats too to Ryan on his half win (more appropriately, on winning his half)!

Good racing, Marj & Henry! 60+ is a big age group - I get beat up by some folks at the Seacoast Half because we have 10-year instead of 5-year AGs.

I'm glad your knee is better, Stumpy - welcome back.

Good hikes and/or runs for Mariposai, Tselbes, WC, and Evanflein.

Congrats on the free race entry, and on getting to the half on time, Tet!

Looks like an easy recipe, Holly, especially if there is a TJs in the vicinity.

8.1 easy RW miles this morning on legs weary from yesterday's race and a few hours worth of weeding and then shoveling, hauling and spreading mulch. We still have more work to do today before a niece and her DH and 2 kids arrive for a 6-day visit. The day before they leave, the niece's sister (and her DH, new daughter and dog) arrive for a 4-day weekend. I guess summer has officially arrived!

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Nice racing Jay!  And if that guy is paying for extra shirts I take it back, but if he just gets the race shirt in a kid's size for his grandkids, then he's cheap.

Nice grandmasters win Aamos.  And Mike, a pace slower than 6 would have been better, but you already know that.  38 is a decent time and you got a podium out of it.

Hudson didn't have to work yesterday, first time he's been off on the 4th in years, so he decided to have a few classmates over for a party by the pool. Well, everyone he invited showed up, so we had a mess of boys here and I cooked hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill.  Good thing it was only 94 and sunny.  Sweat my ass off!

Speaking of which, 8.7 miles with the Saint at the Park today.  It was 90 and sunny but a nice breeze. Needless to say, we ran slowly.  Spareribs

Mariposai

90 and sunny, that is hot!Spareribs. It was 79 here and I was melting.  11 miles with some faster miles every other miles after mile 4. Great way to end this mini vacation with our son Daniel.  He is making brunch for us now, then off to Omak we will go. We are sure having a good time with him.

Stay cool dear friends.

Posie.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

More power to you, Ribs.  90° and running does not compute for me.

Quite the recovery walk today, Jay.

Unbelievable amount of fireworks around the lake last night.  tough to know where to look at times.  Mainers ceratainly have taken to this legal fireworks stuff.  We went out in our little aluminum boat amidst many dozens of patio boats to watch.  They were going off for a good two hours staright, although we didn't stay out the whole time.  someone who didn't get enough last night fired some off before 7 this morning

5.6 miles this moring for me--I did manage to run up the big hill at the start, but had a couple of short walks towards the end.  A light month and then a week off are NOT conducive to having hills go smoothly.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Thanks, Ribs......it's the 9th overall female, with just 2 40-somethings among the youngsters in the 1st 8 that makes me grin.

16.5 this am: 10.5 at a 9 minute pace and RT over the bridge....then it got really warm so got some ice in my water bottle and slowed to nearly 9:30 for the last 6.

good running, Mike and Jay!

must run.....happy Sunday's,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

When your race entry fee includes a race shirt, even if you get it in a kid's size for your grandkids you sort of are paying for it, but on the other hand if it comes with the race I guess you can call in being cheap.  But, cheap or not it is a neat idea.

I ran an easy 3 this morning.  58° for me, so nothing to complain about there.

I ran the Sugarland Freedom 5k on July 4th in 2001.  Sugarland is a suburb of Houston.  I think it was 150° and humid.  It was my slowest run ever but I am just glad I didn't collapse on the course.  It started and ended in a mall parking lot where the heat was increased by the blacktop & concrete.  It is my wish to never run in Texas in the summer ever again.

Marathon Maniac #957

When your race entry fee includes a race shirt, even if you get it in a kid's size for your grandkids you sort of are paying for it,

That's what I was thinking.  There are a lot of races where I chose to get the included race shirt in my DH's or my DS's size and gave it to one of them instead, having plenty of my own.

7.1 miles for me this morning in 70-ish degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

An old college friend of mine is in the area for the holiday weekend, so this morning I met him for a hike in the state park.  It was great to catch up!  When he left I was planning to go out for a run, but just then a thunderstorm moved in, so I came home instead.  And right now it's pouring, so I made the right choice.   But speaking of race shirts, today I'm wearing my VT50 shirt! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

We had another Master RAer do pretty good in his race yesterday and, since he won't come in here and toot his own horn--I will.  SubDood won the USATF Master and Grand Master divisions in a very tough 25K, yesterday.  That course ate me up and spit me out a few years ago.  Anyway, congratulations to SubDood, as well.

I did 6.2 miles in 48:24, today.

And that's all I got.  See ya!

Mike E congratulations to your DS in his race a couple of days ago and to you too!  Given the competition I impressed you can just show up, let alone place!

tetsujin209 funny story about the race being moved!

evanflein totally jealous of that dinner you had last night!  Sounds spectacular!!

wildchild rain on the 4th.  That is a drag.  

deez4boyz given how much time you spend on your feet I am impressed you find the energy to run prior to work.

coastwalker now that is some tough cross training!

Spareribs and it sounds like you loved every minute of it, heat and all!

Mariposai I am going to bet Daniel is a pretty amazing cook just like his mom!

stumpy77 sounds like your neighbors put on a great show.  Yeah, it was a pretty bad injury.  Got bit by a zombie the other day on my run.  But I am feeling much better now!    That was the zombie cat avatar not the DL cat avatar.

AamosY nice job in the heat!  By the way, it is typically cool for the Reach the Beach Relay in New Hampshire.  I hear the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club still has three spots open!  Just saying . . . 

Dave59 so true about the fee!  But ordered in bulk at least the t-shirts should be discounted!

Holly S. you clearly race way more than I do!  My DW has scored just one t-shirt from me.  A bright pink one from the local Mother's Day 10k race.

Today was an elliptical day.  Then a ton of cross training:  Ran to Home Depot for a bathroom fan vent cover, an outlet cover and citronella torches.  Replaced both covers.  Vent cover required hauling up this tall heavy ladder I keep as a way to see if my spinal cord is ready to snap as yet.  Then hauled the ladder into the house to replace two light bulbs that I can only reach with the ladder.  Said light bulbs required moving furniture first, hauling the ladder to and fro, returned ladder to garage and put all the furniture back in place.  Next got the shovel an dug holes to root the torches into.  Bird feed filling was next.  Then last up was tightening the screws on a toilet seat that had come loose.  What did DW do all this time?  Play with her sister's dogs in the back yard.  I need a husband! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I think two cat picked up some household habits with the posies

Funny how a 20-year PW of 36:00 in the annual midnight Firecracker 5000 I’ve been doing off-and-on since 1996 could seem so pathetic at 12:16 a.m. (7/4) but not that bad after all as the 11:37 m/m pace posted in the official results today. I guess anything looks fast compared to all those 15-20 m/m ultras in those days.

With record temperatures of the last month reaching another record (94-degrees) for the hottest Fourth-of-July here in weather history, there wasn’t anything wrong with spending the real part of the day swimming and splashing in Lake Union (76-degrees) before the 25-minute fireworks spectacular at 10:20 p.m.

• Fireworks explode during the Seafair Summer Fourth celebration at Gas Works Park on Saturday, July 4  . IMG_2010. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

(((((Leslie)))))

We had a whirlwind weekend. We joined DD#1 & DD#2 on a weekend camping trip. We were right between the two sites and DW was in heaven.

I slept a lot Friday.Trail running with Tag and Marley of Saturday. Avenger Doggie has a heck of a time posting from an IPhone.

The dogs and I went for a cool down swim. After, Tag was rolling on his back in the warm grass a little too close to the river bank and fell right back in.

He got over it.

Saturday night, Michelle and I snuck off into the trails again and we slow danced amid the fireflies while I sang to her. She started getting concerned about the beast that lurk at night. hhhmmm.

Sunday, I got 7 miles of lawn cutting in. Instead of pushing, I used the walk behind option on the mower. It takes longer and I use more gas. The fridge went out on the camper and it looks to cost as much to rebuild as it does to get a new one.

SteveP