Masters Running

I believe Tuesday (10.21.14) is up next. (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I woke up at about 12:30 this morning with stuff about Saturday's 5K on my mind. After a while I got up and wrote a few notes for myself so I'd be sure to remember it all in the morning, and then finally got back to sleep. I know that over-worrying about an upcoming race comes with the territory (it does for me, at any rate), but it's the part about organizing a race I like the least. I'm always worried, no matter how many times I've done this, that I will have forgotten some important detail. I gotta go; I have to address the issues I wrote the notes about last night, and then I have 3 meetings today - 2 related to Saturday's race, and one about the Seacoast Half in 2.5 weeks.

Some folks are saying we have a Nor'easter coming in later today, so I wanted to get a workout in this morning before the fun begins. 4.7 quick RW miles at 4 o'dark. There was no moonlight, so my headlamp had to show me the way.

Have a greta (dry?) Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

It was a little drizzly on my 7.14 hill run this morning.  It felt good to push hard again after a few weeks of easy runs.  7 people showed up this morning but only 3 of us did the hill portion.

Sorry you have to worry so much about the races, but I guess that is what it takes to put on a good event.

Wow Jay! Thanks for the start, but you were awake and worrying just as I was getting to sleep and trying to quiet the worry. It's perhaps endless!

Another on the go day today and that's my story until the week of November 23 when I am unplugging and enjoying the return of the kiddo for Thanksgiving break. Working hard is easy when I have that ahead.

Ran 21 miles on Saturday, raced an xc race on Sunday and added miles for 13 total and then two zero-dark thirty runs yesterday and today--both easy paced and each six miles. Hudson joins me for the first four miles and we are the reflector twins with our bright vests (his is orange with attached blinkie lights) and headlamps (well, his lamp is on his collar and leash). We see lots of eyes peering at us and an occasional critter scurrying away. Hudson's heightened sense of protection (or perhaps fraidy-scaredness) has him right at my side while we run. We are clipped to each other via his running leash, but during daylight runs he'll slow to sniff or speed up at squirrel sitings, not so in the dark. Anyway....all good and I am glad to have a partner for the 4:30 am runs.

By the way, today is Hudson's first human mom's birthday! Happy Birthday Hopeful4ever---Mary!

Careful Mike!

SO sorry about the kitty C-R.

Okay, train pulling into GCT.

Have a great Tuesday!

King of PhotoShop

It amazes me that someone can run 21 on Saturday and come back to race on Sunday.  I have never been able to do that even when I was young.  And now at my age I would need 2-3 days recovery.  You rock Karin.

4 easy miles for the Saint and me this morning on another jewel of a day.

World Series Game One tonight Tet!

Spareribs

Slo

A sweet 8 and some change.

The mornings have been perfect. Clear skies...saw no meteors.

Mariposai

Jay, your community is so lucky to have you.

Dave, great to see you pushing hard with the runs again.

Holly, how is Mexico treating you.

Hi Karin

It was dark at 5 when I left for a 6 miler and it was still dark when I returned. Great run and I am enjoying my taper week.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hello, everyone -

I have been MIA for quite awhile.  Too tired and too much of everything else has been keeping me off social media . . . except for checking out FB once in awhile.

Jay - I would not be a good RD.  Good luck to you and your runners this weekend.

Happy Birthday,  Mary, if you check in!!

I haven't run a lick in over a week, but I did put in a 2-mile power walk on Saturday.  I won't be doing any running until after we get back from Yuma in mid-November, then it'll be minimal.  I need a break.  In the interim, I'll be walking, riding my bike (99.9% of the time as a stationary), and focusing on core/ST.  I was supposed to do core/ST this a.m., but since last Thursday, I haven't been to bed before 10:00/10:30 due to company being in town and other obligations.  When the alarm went off at 5:00, I instantly fell back to sleep for almost another 2 hrs.  Guess I needed it.

Later ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Good afternoon, eastcoasters and everyone eventually!

Jay and Slo, y'all are inspirational in your service ethic.  (Slo, were you looking for meteors?  Did I miss something?)

Yes, please, Erika, a photo, sorry, didn't mean to offend by using the word "model."    Really would like to see the much referenced jacket!

Glad you  are back on track , Mari.  It is dark out there; I was just thinking about the change of time in a few weeks, as I truly miss going over to Lakes Park to see the birds at dawn these days.

Hiya Karin!  That's a lot of miles this weekend, way more than I did!  I love the image of you and Hudson (and I do look forward to semi-retirement when I will get a dog.)  You'll have a super Thanksgiving.  Did I ask you about the Hot Chocolate Run?

Are you training for something in particular Dave, or just getting back into the swing (rhythm?) of being home?

C-R, I am so so sorry about your cat.  That's awfully tough.  I can see why your DD is devastated.

Yes, Ribs and tet, the World Serious!!  Gosh I wish they'd play an afternoon game.  I remember being able to watch a game now and then in school; the teacher would wheel in the TV and let us watch a bit during recess.  Big deal back then!

Hi Holly!  So what if you don't run?  Just have fun!

Thanks so much for your generosity, Steve!  Now I am really tempted, if doing Charlevoix means I could swing by and meet you and Tag!  Wow.  And   THe Maniacs are looking for pacers, not that I've ever done that, but if I went at a slow enough pace, I think I could do it.  (with practice, of course)  It's the weekend of June 27th.  Roch, you know anything about it?  Holly, do you have Michigan yet?  If not, check it out--it wouldn't be too too far, right?

I'm anxious to get a summer race plan in shape.  There are not a lot of marathons in the summer, and going north makes sense, so I'm kind of one-tracking, I know.  Please forgive me.  I am known to perseverate.   Just ignore my natterings about the summer if they annoy you.  Pretend I'm somewhere behind the .

Our NPR station is pledging.  I'm switching over to the oldies stations (and classical, and top 40) from time to time.   And hearing Hotel California and Maggie May way, way too much.

Decided to run the same route as yesterday am and just punch it up a tad, so 8.5 at a 9:00 pace.  Speedsters tonight for mile repeats if we don't get rained out.

Anyone working on any interesting Halloween costumes for self or others??

grins,

A

Hi Leslie!  Sleep is VERY important!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sheesh! I take a couple days off and now don't seem to know anything about what's going on in here.

Aamos, I've never done Charlevoix but know a number of people who have. I would certainly try to get up there for it if a bunch of us are signed up.

I see Holly took our advice about avoiding Ribs this week...

I was ready for a good run this morning, but the dampness and dreariness were too much for me to go out in. I just can't tolerate the cold like I used to! So instead I went to Planet Fitness for my first session on the TM of the season, managing to click off about 4.25 miles.

I hope some of you had good runs today and that they were outside!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Why , yes it was.  5.1 miles this morning.  seemed to be a nice even semi-recovery pace.  I know I should be good and get in a little recovery run after my longs, but that extra hour of sleep the morning after feels SO good.  A little sprinkle a couple of miles in got me thinking about TC, but it didn't last long enough to bother me.

that five days away from baseball in the middle of football season has sort of taken me out of the BB mood.  I'm afraid I may end up as a fair-weather fan this year.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

AamosY  http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors

Orionids Meteor Shower

Marathon Maniac #957

I agree!

It amazes me that someone can run 21 on Saturday and come back to race on Sunday.  I have never been able to do that even when I was young.  And now at my age I would need 2-3 days recovery.  You rock Karin.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks, I am terrible at typing on the laptop so I will keep this short...

No run again!  Somehow I don't even miss it, which is strange, but we are busy and this is family time, and a break won't hurt I guess.

We did get some lovely beach and pool time this morning, then rain came in time for lunch, but after a bit it stopped.  While it remained cloudy the rest of the day, we were able to walk up to a mall of tourist shops and then walk along the beach later.  Now it is raining again, but we are relaxing in the room with my SD, waiting to head over for dinner.  Not exactly what we hoped for but still okay....Tomorrow is a tour of two sites of ancient ruins and a swim in a cenote!

Stay safe folks...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Terrific Tuesday!!

Starr - the extra .2 at the end of my runs goes back to when OM was training for her 1st marathon and battling breast cancer at the same time.  She started doing it as a mental strength type of exercise I believe and I joined in - now just can't seem to let it go.  Keeps me grounded and thankful!!

Holly - a running break for family time sounds like a great plan!!

Karin - you really are pretty amazing!!  but I think ALL OF YOU are pretty amazing actually!!

4.5 tonight for me at track -- kind of a strange workout so I took it easy ... don't want to risk an injury training for Philly -- after warmup and drills we did 400m at mile time trial pace (nope), then we would do 100m sprint, followed by a cross-training exercise x 4 sets with the 4th 100 as a recovery jog then repeat the whole thing - was supposed to be 4-6 sets.....most of us did 4 but a few die hards did 6.  It was warm but rainy raw at the same time and I didnt feel warmed up sufficiently to push this type of workout tonight so I kind of went through the motions so to speak.  The warmup and workout only gave me about 2.5 miles so I added on a couple more easy pace.  After the workout a friend who skipped it altogether texted me and said this was the exact workout she did last year training for Boston when she pulled her hamstrings so I was kind of glad I played it safe.

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Just stopped in to say hi.  No run...I'm going to try to take it easy and let things heal a bit.

Okay--that's it--see ya!