Masters Running

40's on the run, the frigid week of 1/20 (Read 461 times)

flatland mountaineer

I'll try and kick us off for the week, and btw congrats Joe, good luck to your Giants. 2.9 or so this morn, 13 deg F 15 mph se wind and light snow on the near treeless plains this morning. Altered my route to avoid as much into the wind time as possible. From the left I can pass for Alvin of the chipmunks as I am swollen out to there from fridays dental fun. All things considered it was a good run. Have a super week fab forties!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

R2 - What a contrast in temps - I think we made it to 60F here today! 10 mi in 1:53 on rolling terrain with one "big" hill. I should be running more slowly than avg 147 HR, but it felt good and quite easy. Guess if I overdo it the old bod will tell me and kick me where it hurts, right? Later I walked over to the brewpub to watch Packers v Giants - good game! Although I have to admit I was rootin' for the "old" guy. Smile Arla

Ex runner

Healing vibes sent your way r2farm. Going thru that dental work and still running. You da man! Arla, great run/pace! Ya, I was rootin' for the "old guy" myself. Easy 3 yesterday. Hope to get my LR in tomorrow. Happy Monday all.......Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Good Monday Folks! Hope most everyone is off work today for the Holiday.Unfortunately we're open,but no worries for me. It's a Great day to be a Giants fan! Cool Farm- glad that the worse of your week is over and you're hanging in there.Nice going getting out there in those temps!! Nice long run Arla! Good pace too.Gotta go with what feels good.My long run pace,according to my marathon plan should be 10:46pm.However,if I run anything but warmup over 10min miles,my stride changes and I get shin splints and such. So,I go with what feels right,which is somewhere between 9:30-9:45 per mile. Good run Jewels and musta been chilly for you? Rest day for me today. Have a good one all!!

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning All! Happy MLK day to those w/day off~light schedules, etc. DH went in to open the shop as many folks will take advantage of the holiday to get some car work in....gotta find it ($$) when you can in the Winter! We had a brief reprieve from the cold weather yesterday ~ well, for most of it anyway....got up to about 45ish & sun-shiney into later pm, so I finally got a bit of a run in...my South Trail that my Garmin used to say was 9.99 miles & now (since updating) says it is 8.71?? ......however, considering other circumstances of the wknd activities, it wasn't exactly as "nice-n-easy" as I'd hoped.... Sad.... ***Rant On***Sat am: feeling the beginning of a cold coming on (haven't had even 1 in over a year!) not too bad though, DS1 said last night (Fri) that he'd be here by noon to pick up GD so, I'm ready to go for a run in the afternoon - it's 37*F, no wind, sun shinin"!.....no show/no call till 5:15pm!! Angry & me & DH have a date to go out w/friends Sat eve @ 6pm!! so, I have no time to go that late!! Not to mention, he made plans too & neglected to find a sitter, so we had to!! Ended up out till 1:am (supposed to be only till 10ish) ...being annoyed (& I "deserve it") I had a couple of cocktails(3) any alchohol at all kicks me for a coupla days where running ~ any strenuous activity~ is involved..+ I don't sleep well, even if I don't get "buzzed" but still, I felt pretty ok so, after I got breakfast assembled for everybody (Stock Show Day) I put on my shoes & headed out for what I intended to be a LS easy 10.....damme if my heart rate wasn't up a bit (yah, I know, I know...) but still, I'm taking it easy.....had to take waaayy to many walk breaks, especially my big hill! Severe rebellious Chi goin up that thing!! Good news - by the time I got back (2 hrs! Blush) my HR & everything seemed to be back to normal! the last 1.5 - 2 miles was actually the best! *note to self: correct alcohol abuse w/LSD! Ha!* DS1 finally getting up to tend to his daughter by the time I got back! she's been up since 8, it's now 1pm!! I ran throught the shower & got the heck outta here! **Rant off - for now!** Today is a lovely 12*F/90% H snowing & Fog (next front moved in while we were @ the Stock Show last eve)......& MLK Day so kids home from school.....whaddya think? since I can't run w/kids in tow - veg day or wrestle w/the cross-bow?
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              Howdy 40's! Good title for this week's thread. Thanks for starting us off R2. Brrr...that sounds like a cold run. No need or an icepack on the face, all you have to do is step outside! Nice 10 miles Arla! Nice time and sounds like you felt good too. Send some of those 60ish temps our way, wouldya? Jewels, hope you have a nice long run today. Joe, congrats to the Giants! Now that the Cowboys are out, I can side with you Smile Mtnchk, I must say you are exhibiting remarkable self restraint for not bopping your son a good one! Glad your run wound up being cathartic, and hope your cold is a mild one. Yesterday was yoga, and I'm still feeling the effects all up and down my back. I'll be honest, I used to think that yoga was sorta wimpy and not much of a workout, but not anymore. Seems to be a good offset to running. Speaking of which...today it is supposed to be 36 degrees all day long, so I guess it doesn't matter when I run. Pet sitting has been REALLY slow since Christmas, so hubby and I had a talk about me finding some part time accounting work. I'm a CPA, and that was my gig for 20 years. So whadda ya think.....Ark Pet Sitting and Accounting Services Wink ? I can walk your dog and prepare your financial statements too Cool Time to start obsessing over my resume, what to wear, and some new business cards.
              Progress Trumps Pefection
              sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

Thanks for the new thread! And yeah, I saw on the news that cold air is coming our way Shocked It's 55 outside now, but I guess y'all can't keep the cold where it belongs and its supposed to be (gasp) near freezing tonite. No runs since Friday, we packed a relative's house to get ready for moving all weekend long. I've decided that the Higdon novice 10K plan wasn't quite enough for me, I didn't want to spend eight weeks and wind up where I was (mileage wise) a few weeks ago. But I really want to get back into the routine of running, instead of my new routine of finding excuses not to run. So for now I'm gonna follow the Higdon novice spring training program, which is running 4 days a week, walking one, and spending rest days doing other stuff (like mowing the lawn). The miles each run aren't two long, but the running 4x a week I haven't been doing, not since November or before, so this should get me back on track. Hope y'all are well, I love reading about everyone's runs and stuff Smile
                BTY

Hi everyone. Yes, I think today qualified as cold. It was 27 - relatively warm, actually, but the wind blowing off of the river was bitter cold. Not brutal, but bitter. I think I dressed relatively well for it, even though I was grabbing whatever was available at 7:05 this morning,trying to make it on time to my carpool rendezvous. I wore my lined running pants, which is a given for anything where the "real feel" is under 30. Then I layered with (starting from the inside) a turtleneck shirt (partly cotton, partly nylon, I think, but there's no label), a cotton short sleeve T, a long sleeve micro-fiber windshirt, and a pullover sweatshirt with a hood, which was pulled up over my baseball cap. I got a little sweaty over the middle of the run (tailwind) but was only out there for 4.5 miles, so it was tolerable when it got colder, heading into the headwind 4.5 miles in 43:30 (9:40 pace). Stay warm, everyone. but not too warm. bty

Queen of 3rd Place

mtnchk - smack DS1 on everyone's behalf here - then you can blame it on peer pressure Wink Carol - I'm starting Pilates tomorrow, a 6 week class. I thought yoga was hard and they say this is even harder so I'm a little nervous! bear - that novice spring training looks nice - gets you up to 15 mpw pretty quick, doesn't it? I think it would be tough for a real novice, you should find it a breeze once you get into your routine. dang, Joe, BTY - you folks are fast..your pace is tempo pace for me! So whenever you're feeling slow, think of me Smile Ran on tired legs today - I'm squishing my running days closer together this week since I have to do my long run on Sat instead of Sun, so it's been 4 days in a row now of running. HA - and the rain just started, perfect timing. Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Arla - Big grin Evil grin sounds good to me!! I did have me a good refreshing growl @ him for about an hour this am - on the phone, so outta physical reach.....came really damned close to telling him to "put on his big-girl panties & deal with it!" > my response to a minor pity party......Hey! I finished that book!(had to do something w/the sub-zero days....) She's a hoot! delightfully fascitious sense of humor! wish I could write like that.....looks like you're getting some great mileage in.... & a bit faster than me!! Carol - didn't you call that Gentle Flow Yoga!?!? good thing they don't have you doing Ashtanga! anyway, definitely great support/XT for running...'specially for us "mature" folks who may be a little less flexible than we used to be.....I'm pondering how that business card of yours might look.....hmmm, like can you multi-task....working visuals here....lol {{{{ R2 }}}} - aaacchhkk! Shocked can't believe you're running w/that! (I didn't - it tended to activate a throbbing headache) ice & vitamin I! so are you doing some implants? I am. onto finishing up some "cosmetics" - $10K worth! next week....this part shouldn't be painful (unless you count$$!) - just allllll day! SB - I'm thinking about picking a training program - just to follow something....I've been just "running however I feel" - so, not all that consistent on speed, hills, long vs short, & on days that I could * read - didn't-wimp-out-because-of-the-cold-weather* IOW: terribly undiciplined! Blush Hey Brian & Joe! Someday I'll be able to keep up w/ya....oh yeah, but I'll be the one on the scooter! Wink weather guy says I get to run as much as I want this week! Yay! forecast for mid to upper 30's- low 40's & mostly sunshiney Smile 7.52 @ 12:27 ave pc...
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                        Good morning 40's! So Bear, have the cooler temps reached you? Sounds like you are on track to get back on track. Sometimes having a plan to follow really helps, and it sounds like you've found the one that is right for you. BTY, sounds like you have the layering thing down, even when you're on autopilot in the morning. Nice 4.5 miles! Arla, glad you got your runs in before the rain. That Pilates class should be good for your running since it will increase your core strength. Mtnchk, I hear you on going with the flow vs. a training plan. Seems like it's good to have periods of both. Don't forget to incorporate some smacking your DS upside the head when needed! It counts as cross training. Katy the dog and I had an eventful run yesterday. Less than a block into the run, we were beebopping along, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a dog (looked like a fawn boxer or pit mix) heading from a house toward us. I adopted my best Caeserlike calm assertive attitude, and it seemed like maybe they would be friends, when from the same direction, another dog (same type, but brindle) came streaking towards us and immediately jumped on Katy. It was a serious mismatch, as the dog was about twice Katy's weight. He had her by the back, and the owner came rushing over and pulled him off. Apparently the second dog's name was Bruiser. Lovely! Fortunately, no blood and nothing seriously injured for Katy. So we continued on with our run. About a half mile from home, a black lab mix approached us, and decided she would run with us. She followed us all the way home, into the garage, and on into the house. Katy was fine with her at first, and then realized, "hey...there's another dog in MY house...not acceptable", and started to rumble with the lab mix. Lab didn't back down, and we were about to have yet another dog fight. So off Katy went to my office so I could call animal control to see if anyone had reported the dog missing (she had a collar but no tags). Nothing doing, so I made some quickie "found dog" signs, and posted them. Thank goodness, 30 minutes later the owner called and came to get his dog. On a side note, in looking at my Garmin readout later, the initial dog attack took my heart rate from 136 to 161 in about 30 seconds!
                        Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Wow Carol! Scarey! I'm thinkin' you may have gotten lucky - on both counts....there was a thread (I think on the old site) awhile back talking about loose dog encounters - many bites reported!....& I've been "charged" by a couple of potentially dangerous ones........after chatting w/several "dog experts" about what to do...( nothing very helpful Undecided)....&. one opinion was that those of us who run w/dogs may be of "more interest" to dogs running loose..... & considering that I also sometimes run near/in wildlife areas - so, dogs running loose might not be my worst expectation, I started carrying a good sized camp knife in my waist pack....although, hoping to never have to use it - Just to be prepared.....I wonder how Cesar would handle this situation?!?

Queen of 3rd Place

Yikes Carol! I've about had it with people who let their dogs run loose, and I've seen one too many get killed by cars. Mtnchk - did your dog experts say anything about pepper spray? I carry it when I go into the woods, but mostly I'm worried about 2-legged predators. Only once have I felt in danger from dogs, I was on a rural dirt road at the edge of national forest on a bicycle, and a pack of about 5 feral dogs jogged up to me. I stopped, they stopped, then the largest of them started to growl, so I just averted my eyes and stayed still. I waited, trying to think of ways to use the bicycle as a weapon/shield. They then lost interest and jogged off. It was scary! Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Arla - I got a few different responses ref pepper spray....both for (small, relatively cheap, convenient, effective...) & against....like, while properly used it's effective enough for most dogs (& two legged's), there are those more "aggressive" types or bully breeds (or 2-legged's on drugs) that it just might actually incite them to attack, whereas they may have only been "posing" as a form of aggression (which is still aggression!) & then (& I didn't know this) pepper spray or mace is illegal in some cities....possibly because statistics show (don't remember where I heard this) that many people who carry pepper spray are not adequately trained with it, usually resulting in more harm than help to them..... one pit-bull trainer told me to carry a spray bottle of vinegar water! Shocked wth! I'm already running w/a waist pack for all my dog's stuff!! Oh yeah, running thread Roll eyes no run as yet for me today...still staring @ the ashtanga yoga DVD.....vigorous 2.5 m pw @ 8:15am 20*F/45% H 15mph breeze = real feel temp of 4*
                              sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

Thanks, y'all. I love dogs, I don't love dogs that a) bite or b) get run over. Surprised Yes, it's chilly here; still above freezing though. We are close enough to the Gulf of Mexico that the breeze tends to push back and warm up the cold air coming down, unless the folks in Canada throw the doors WIDE open, then it'll get really cold here. I ran last night, 1.5 miles, part of my Spring Training deal. In case anyone is looking for it (now or stumbling across this thread some other day), here's the link to the schedule, and at the bottom if you click on the individual weeks he gives details of each daily workout. It sounds a little preachy, but I like this bit from one of his notes. It helped push me out the door last night at 9:00 when all I wanted to do was go to bed (in my mind: "It's just a mile and a half, hardly worth going out for")
                                A lot of people play at running, going out for an occasional run on weekends if the weather is good. Sometimes they'll run three or four days in a row--then skip several weeks before running again. But that's not training. Training is when you follow a schedule, such as this one, where each day has a purpose. If the weather is bad, you still run. If you have important business, you simply rise an hour early to run. Why? Because I told you to!
                                I need that on a coffee mug or t-sirt or something. Have great runs / rests / etc, y'all!